How Big Is Your Second Life Inventory?

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
So...I'm curious. How big is your SL inventory?

Do you throw out old stuff regularly? Do you just let it accumulate? How do you organize it? *Do* you organize it?

I'll start. My current inventory size is *cough*239,322*cough* and I once made a very half-hearted attempt to filter the items older than 4,000 days (see picture) and throw out some of my oldest system layer and flexiprim clothing. Then I gave up and just kept everything, forever and ever, Amen. I just tell myself that with Bakes on Mesh, I still might just need something...

*sigh* I think I need to join a 12 Step group... somebody call the people over at TLC, I might just have a new reality TV show idea for them....

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
Mine varies between 70,000 and 80,000 "elements". I do try, periodically, to organize it and go through to delete things like free gifts which I thought I might use, but never actually have. But little by little, it still gradually grows. And that's not counting the things I HAVE boxed up in an attempt to cut down my inventory size.

EmpressOfCommunism

Too Cute for Capitalism ❤️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
100K- and growing. This is after sorting and thinning things out. Mostly because I make stuff and 99% of it is never put on market.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
I keep my inventory between 30 and 40k items. No particular reason why I peg it there, but any time it creeps above 40k I get the itch to start tossing stuff. I think the biggest I ever let it get was around 48k before I went to work streamlining things.

As far as organisation goes I like to keep things tidy. Each of my system folders has sub-folders dividing the contents into categories, then each sub-folder is further divided. For example, my Objects folder has a sub-folder named !_Vehicles, then that sub-folder contains folders named !_Boats, !_Cars, etc. I have similar organisational schemes in the Animations, Clothing, Photos and Textures folders.

Another thing I like to do is box stuff. When during one of my semi-regular cleanouts I find older stuff that I'm not using but can't bring myself to trash, I like to put it in boxes (if it doesn't already have a box). I'll then box these boxes in boxes and possibly into one final box. For example, when I last went through my clothing folder I identified everything in a given sub-category that I wasn't using, made sure each item had its own box, then stuck each item in a box labelled with sub-category and the date. Once I had a box for each sub-category, I then put those boxes in a box labelled Clothes, Old (date). I've got a number of boxes in my inventory similar to this. Each one accounting for what would otherwise be several hundred individual items.

Sid

Doctors found traces of blood in my coffee stream.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
So, Free, how many?

Sid

Doctors found traces of blood in my coffee stream.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Somewhere in 2008 I drew my line at 20,000.
I'm stll under 30,000 right now.
If I would trow out the outdated stuff from my previous businesses, I think that I would be near my old 20k goal.

OrinB

I'm here...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
My old main had over 200k. But I managed to cull most of that... then mesh came along...

I now have 100k on that main and over 120k on my new main plus a few tens of thousands on some of my others. Probably time for a sort out.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Apparently 15101 elements, but some of those are nested boxes

Da5id Weatherwax

SL Rez
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
I'm a pack rat. I don't throw stuff out - at least, not hte last copy of it, anyway. But I'm no shopaholic either so I don;t have that big an inventory as a result.....

GoblinCampFollower

31,190 elements right now on my main. Nothing compared to some of you, but big enough so that I was motivated to do some major reorganizations starting a year ago.

Also, I have become found of using folders titled "graveyard" whenever I want to delete something, while still being too much of a horder to actually delete it. The stuff in graveyard folders is rarely touched again, but I have gone back into them before. Just a good way to get them out of the way.

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
About 73,000 at the moment, despite a number of purges. Maybe I need to sort by date and dump things year by year. I know I've done that a few times with hair and skins. I've probably got loads of duplicates of useless old junk.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I was sorting inventory just this morning and feeling overwhelmed at 22,000 items. I used to try to file them all neatly away in lableded folders, but somewhere around 2015 I lost control and there's just big dumps of objects into folders called "Recent Purchases" or "New Clothes" or "More Stuff."