House Formally Launches Impeachment Inquiry

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I wouldn't put it past them. An attempt was made on Obama, after all. Thankfully, the adults in the room squashed that one before it grew legs.
Considering that they announced their intention to impeach Hillary the moment she took office (over, you guessed it, her emails), it’s just same shit, different day.
Her emails were impeachable to them, but Rump’s many transgressions are not. 🤬

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
What worries me is that most people I speak with don't seem to understand the seriousness of the articles of impeachment that have been brought against him. Even democrats I know seem to be struggling with it. The articles brought against him look political to the average person. People understand "Obstruction of Justice and Bribery", they don't necessarily understand "Obstruction of Congress and Abuse of Power, either of which the general public actually views as a crime.
Well the reason why most people don't get it is that this is not explained in easy to understand terms. They should explain it like as Trump in being charge of a platoon of Marines, and that he's actively betraying them.

I bet this would everybody understand in America.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
It would be funny if the house just decided to never pass it on to the senate since they know they'll just find him not guilty anyway.
They could wait for more dirt to drop, like the Russian oligarch who funded Parnas, who in turn funded Giuliani. In short, "all roads lead to Putin". This money path has turned up in court paperwork, but hasn't hit the big news yet. Parnas has turned over evidence to House investigators, but they haven't called him to testify yet. There's also multiple court cases in progress on Trump's taxes and administration lackeys refusing to testify.

As far as the Senate trial, McConnell is already getting pushback for judging the case before the trial, and not wanting to have witnesses. If he makes it too much of a sham trial, it could cost him is own seat and flip the Senate.

danielravennest

SLU Posts

Brian

Plus there's this little thing called double jeopardy -which means you can't indict/prosecute the person on the same charges later if more evidence of their guilt comes up. So, prosecutors generally don't go forward with an indictment unless they think they have a good chance of winning. Anyone who has watched Law & Order knows that - never mind someone with even a passing knowledge of the criminal justice system.
You can't prosecute someone for the same crime twice once they have been tried. If there has been no trial, or charges dropped (prejudice matters), they can be indicted again.

Television shows have never given an accurate schooling on the law. This includes Law & Order.
Prosecutor decisions are only generally predictable. They have legal discretion nonetheless.

I don't ike it but this is not going to get past the Senate - they won't be able to impeach him again for these offences - and he will have an even greater sense that he is beyond the reach of law than he already does.
Case in point for your Law & Order course selection:
Impeachment in the Constitution is irrespective of criminal law.

There is no double jeopardy limitation.
Repeated impeachment for the same crimes *is* possible.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I find this very interesting: Christianity Today - Trump should be removed from office

If his evangelical base takes heed of this things will get very interesting. Unfortunately, I think that Trump may have replaced Christianity with himself to many of them.
As expected they turned upon their "brothers" to defend Trump and spew some of their own venom, yet they say nothing to people who compare him to Jesus.

Trump, Franklin Graham, 8 other evangelicals react to Christianity Today's call to remove president
Trump, Franklin Graham, and Jerry Falwell Jr. Explode at 'Christianity Today' After Evangelical Mag Calls for President's Removal from Office - Towleroad Gay News

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Franklin Graham is as big an asshole as his father (well, we knew that).
I read the magazine's tweet k and the responses. Predictably, there were MAGAts storming off in a huff and cancelling their subscriptions (so they said; who knows if they all really even subscribed) but there were also people thanking them and new subscribers. I didn't do a count but I think there were more of the latter.
As for the mag's tweet, I'm glad they opened their eyes about Rump, but I wish they pay more attention to helping the poor than to crusading against abortion, saving actual lives in the process instead of just potential ones.