House Formally Launches Impeachment Inquiry

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
In other words, all of Trump’s offences against his presidential oath, the law, and the American people should be taken into account.
I believe that's what Schiff and Pelosi are doing. I fully expect obstruction of Congress, abuse of power, violating the Emoluments Clause and perhaps misuse of taxpayer money to be high in the Articles' list after when it's formulated. It's comforting to me to know that both Schiff and Pelosi are smart and experienced. Trump is neither.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I believe that's what Schiff and Pelosi are doing. I fully expect obstruction of Congress, abuse of power, violating the Emoluments Clause and perhaps misuse of taxpayer money to be high in the Articles' list after when it's formulated. It's comforting to me to know that both Schiff and Pelosi are smart and experienced. Trump is neither.
I'm a little wary about throwing the kitchen sink and everything in it at Trump. Yes, he's guilty as fuck. But Republicans are already accusing us of throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks, and could well use that against us in 2020 when congressional seats are up for grabs. I think we need to narrow the scope to the most egregious of his misdeeds, and focus on those to help ensure the best chance of success.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Disagree
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Salome

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
I'm a little wary about throwing the kitchen sink and everything in it at Trump. Yes, he's guilty as fuck. But Republicans are already accusing us of throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks, and could well use that against us in 2020 when congressional seats are up for grabs. I think we need to narrow the scope to the most egregious of his misdeeds, and focus on those to help ensure the best chance of success.
No. But let me explain why.

one of the reasons we have to have thorough impeachment proceedings despite Trump committing impeachable offenses in the light of day is because Trump is not the only one that needs to be held to account. We also need to know who helped, if they did so illegally or against their own office, etc. When it comes time to bring charges against those other people you cannot have the first thing they say be “if I’d done anything wrong, Congress would have held POTUS accountable, too.” If you give Trump a pass for convenience, you could also let too many other snakes off the hook.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
No. But let me explain why.

one of the reasons we have to have thorough impeachment proceedings despite Trump committing impeachable offenses in the light of day is because Trump is not the only one that needs to be held to account. We also need to know who helped, if they did so illegally or against their own office, etc. When it comes time to bring charges against those other people you cannot have the first thing they say be “if I’d done anything wrong, Congress would have held POTUS accountable, too.” If you give Trump a pass for convenience, you could also let too many other snakes off the hook.
I hadn't considered that. Very good point.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There's just no end to the damage he's causing.

He's going to mobilize the entire government and as many governments as he can involve, all in his impeachment defense. He has no scruples, no honor, and no respect for law & the Constitution. He showed that during 2016 and he's repeating his winning formula.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The GOP is reaching a new low by publishing the name of the Whistleblower in the Ukraine case. Might be they are speculating that some Magaist just tries to find and kill him, which would be the sad case of one insane Person nobody could have expected to happen...or so.

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
I vote for charging him with everything for which there's strong evidence. Or in Pelosi's words, "ironclad". I agree there is such a thing as dilution but what comes first? Collusion? Obstruction? Fraud? Corruption?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's been Manafort's conspiracy all along.

Among the interviews flagged by BuzzFeed reporters is evidence that the effort to pin election meddling on Ukraine, rather than Russia as the Mueller report and the U.S. intelligence community found, is as old as the election meddling story itself.

In a 2018 interview with Rick Gates, the aide of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, Gates told investigators that Manafort speculated the Ukrainians were behind the 2016 hacks of Democrats’ emails.

“Gates recalled Manafort saying the hack was likely carried out by the Ukrainians, not the Russians, which parroted a narrative Kilimnik often supported,” the 302 reads.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Emoluments will not be part of the final charges. It'll be that thing they remove so that they can say they are not throwing everything they can think of.

Why? Because none of them, least of all Pelosi, are going to open that can of worms. Trump may be the most flagrant abuser, in this regard, but in dollar value, he is an amateur.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
one of the reasons we have to have thorough impeachment proceedings despite Trump committing impeachable offenses in the light of day is because Trump is not the only one that needs to be held to account. We also need to know who helped, if they did so illegally or against their own office, etc.
We need to get Pence, too. I have no information that that's going to happen, but we need to get Pence, too. As much as I don't want a president Pelosi, I want a president Pence even less.

And it just occurred to me that Pelosi must not have anything on Pence or she would take her hands out of this pie. Dammit.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I can see a slim chance of the Senate coming around if the House makes a clear and compelling case and Trump’s poll numbers become toxic to the party. But under no circumstances would they vote to remove both Trump and Pence.

If the evidence to impeach Pence is there,wait until Trump is gone and a new VP is in place first.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Reminder: filing deadlines for primaries start coming up this month. Anyone know what happens if Republicans don't have a plan B? Does Pence automatically become the nominee? Or do they leave it to the three candidates who are already signed up to primary in the states that haven't already canceled the republican primary? Do the republicans have contingency rules? Or is someone else about to enter?

• 1Meh
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield