House Formally Launches Impeachment Inquiry

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Rachel Maddow’s book explains “why Ukraine?” (spoiler: it all leads back to Putin. Again. Still.)

I was going to add a review of the book to the Climate Change thread (and may still, when I have time), because Maddow shows how it ALL ties in together. Trump, Putin, oil interests, the resistance to dealing with climate change, it all goes back to the corrosive effect of lucrative resources.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I was going to add a review of the book to the Climate Change thread (and may still, when I have time), because Maddow shows how it ALL ties in together. Trump, Putin, oil interests, the resistance to dealing with climate change, it all goes back to the corrosive effect of lucrative resources.
We need an All the Presidents Men type movie to spell out the narrative. Or maybe a puppet show or graphic novel.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Time to read the thread. This should go fast, it is not like they had another whistleblower or something this weekend, right?

• 1ROFL
Reactions: danielravennest

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I'm sure they could find somewhere to hold them if they put their minds to it, lol.
Yes, it would not be hard. We are not talking about people that get their hands dirty at all. You could just close the door (no lock required) and they would be stuck because nobody would be there to open it for them.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I don't get it. Almost every day since he has been elected has done obviously evil things. Then this Ukrainian thing comes up. The democrats are going to try and have him thrown out on this? Why not include the hundreds of other things? Geez Louise.

Ariane

I don't get it. Almost every day since he has been elected has done obviously evil things. Then this Ukrainian thing comes up. The democrats are going to try and have him thrown out on this? Why not include the hundreds of other things? Geez Louise.
Unfortunately it is all about politics. All the other stuff could be politically framed as "extenuating circumstances" or "executive privilege" or "not enough evidence"

This is 1. Clearly illegal, 2. Threatens democracy, 3. Has significant evidence, 4. Has corroborating evidence, 5. Involves hiding more evidence, 6. Can easily be explained to the average voter, 7. Is grievous enough that it cannot go ignored or chalked up to a "political" move.

Right now it is all about overturning as many rocks as possible, while changing the average Trump voter's mind. The faster the impeachment happens the better. If this gets dragged out it will be called "stonewalling" by the GOP.

My guess is that not enough GOP members will vote to convict. This will have obvious repercussions in the 2020 elections and a clear campaign issue for the Democrats. Hopefully it means they can take the Presidency and the Senate!

SL Rez
SLU Posts
My guess is the GOP members will vote to convict. Then they will get Pence and the republicans will be happy.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Remember that Capone was convicted of being a tax cheat.

The other stuff may come up but it is all about what is clearly illegal and what he does not even deny doing.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Remember that Capone was convicted of being a tax cheat.

The other stuff may come up but it is all about what is clearly illegal and what he does not even deny doing.
That just isn't good enough though. Let's just take the wildly improbable scenario that he got convicted for serving Melania some cake with bad seafood on it. So he is convicted, but who cares? All of the other people will still be there. He needs to be convicted for all of his crimes. Everyone associated with him needs to go down too. Fat chance huh?

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
If Trump goes down (still an "if" sadly), he'll try to take down everyone even close to ground zero. That includes Pence, Biden, McConnell, Pelosi, Schiff, he'll just splatter as much shit as he can. I predict Biden is going to be a casualty -- if nothing else, because his response to Trump's attacks has been so awkward that he looks weak or unprepared. Fingers crossed that Pence goes down, too, because we might get a President Pelosi, if only for a month or two.