House Formally Launches Impeachment Inquiry

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Nancy Pelosi announced at 5 PM ET today that the House has formally launched impeachment proceedings:

I'm glad she finally did it. I know a lot of people have been critical of her for not doing so sooner, but I trust that she knows exactly what she's doing.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Like a lot of Americans, I am cautiously, mildly hopeful - but very worried that the Republicans are already turning it into "but what about Hunter?"

I hope that the Democrats can keep it on point and simply ignore the noise.

Da5id Weatherwax

SL Rez
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
It's about time.

I wonder what all is going to make it onto the list? Can't pile everything on there, there's new crimes every day. I assume there'll be something about all the emoluments violations at the very least.
If the Democratic party's pols have any sense at all they'll drip drip drip onto the list adding the crimes over a goodly amount of time to build up a real drumbeat while piling the evidence higher than the washington monument.

At least 50% of scoring a touchdown is calling the right plays at the right time and with favorable field position. Done right ol' Donnie won't last much beyond March. Of course, being so much dumber than Nixon, it's entirely possible he'll try to ride the whole thing down in flames and end up moving from Pennsylvania Ave to slightly less luxurious federal accommodation. However, even if he's that dumb, the rest of the GOP establishment isn't. Once it becomes obvious he's going down they'll get him out of there while they still think they can control the damage and not destroy their party for two entire generations.

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
Well let's not get ahead of ourselves. The House impeaches, then it goes to the Senate where they have a trial to convict and remove from office.

And that's probably not going to happen. Best case I can see is this fires up the Democratic base to win in 2020, where he's then out of office by January and we can try him in a real court once he's no longer protected by that stupid-ass justice department memo.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
It is helpful to remember that the situation in the Senate is not that different from when Nixon was impeached. It was clear that the votes were not there at the start of the process, but as evidence piled up it turned the tide.

So it is nether easy nor impossible.

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
Donald ain't resigning and I don't have faith in current-day Republicans. 45 years is a long time and the GOP has purity tested itself further and further into insanity.

I mean i'd hate to be wrong but they tied themselves to him the second he got the nomination. His base isn't going to turn on him, all this will be fake news made up by the deep state, and the GOP needs their votes to stay in their positions.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
If the democrats actually pile on the charges that the orange one is guilty of every day I'll be impressed. But they won't because they never really do anything. They will announce a few charges then it will go to the senate who will say fuck this shit.

• 1Disagree
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Govi and Han Held

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Donald ain't resigning and I don't have faith in current-day Republicans. 45 years is a long time and the GOP has purity tested itself further and further into insanity.

I mean i'd hate to be wrong but they tied themselves to him the second he got the nomination. His base isn't going to turn on him, all this will be fake news made up by the deep state, and the GOP needs their votes to stay in their positions.
We can only outnumber the core cultists, most of them cannot be deconverted. They’re just like any victims of con men, and turn on the people trying to save them.