SLU Posts
Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Come on, Ariane. Hunter had zero credentials to get a seat on that board, getting paid more than ExxonMobil board members. Joe may not have had an explicit hand in getting him there, but that is not how it works.
Actually, that is how it works. There are lots of companies who will take some famous name (politics usually) just to be able to list that name. If they have experience with what you are doing so much the better but it is not a deal breaker if not.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
NBC News: Trump administration orders ambassador at center of Ukraine scandal not to testify before Congress.
The US has an ambassador there when we do not have one in so many other places?

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
A lot of lobbyists take in politicians. Of course they want the ones that were working in their industry, but even if not they know those politicians know ppl currently in office.

Law firms too, but at least most of them have a claim to that as their profession.

Then there are assorted places, especially on boards of directors, where just having those names looks good. For example, Apple nabbed Al Gore. Yes, he is more technologically savvy than a lot of his peers but still. (I am a shareholder so get to vote my shares for him to continue each year. I consider it compensation for 2000.)

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Anya Ristow

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Actually, that is how it works. There are lots of companies who will take some famous name (politics usually) just to be able to list that name. If they have experience with what you are doing so much the better but it is not a deal breaker if not.
You think those arrangements are for prestige? Hunter Biden brings...prestige?...to the table?

Um, no. Joe Biden would bring prestige. Hunter Biden? Not so much. There isn't a board position's worth of prestige in the name. It might be different if Hunter Biden was actually useful. Or better known. In Ukraine.

Here's another one. An interesting read, actually, but the second paragraph is really funny, and kinda tells all you need to know:

In 1986, Sam Walton, the founder of Wal-Mart, had a problem. He was under growing pressure from shareholders — and his wife, Helen — to appoint a woman to the company’s 15-member board of directors.

So Mr. Walton turned to a young lawyer who just happened to be married to the governor of Arkansas, where Wal-Mart is based: Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Chelsea Clinton brings so much prestige to the Expedia board that they don't have a picture of her.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
You think those arrangements are for prestige? Hunter Biden brings...prestige?...to the table?

Um, no. Joe Biden would bring prestige. Hunter Biden? Not so much. There isn't a board position's worth of prestige in the name. It might be different if Hunter Biden was actually useful. Or better known. In Ukraine.

Here's another one. An interesting read, actually, but the second paragraph is really funny, and kinda tells all you need to know:

Chelsea Clinton brings so much prestige to the Expedia board that they don't have a picture of her.
While I do agree Joe would have been the bigger catch having a famous name does open doors. It is sort of like resumes. You have 100 resumes on your desk. All are equally pretty much the same for qualifications. One was memorable for some reason, even though it did not have relevance to the job. Maybe they worked for the hiring manager's favourite sports team. Who do you think will get hired?

Depending on who you ask resumes should only go back a certain number of years. Mine goes to my first jobs: at the white house complex. Want to take a guess why I did that knowing I was breaking every advice on resumes I have been given?

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
SL Rez
Those 'blue' pills and soul-sucking elixirs are some seriously potent sycophant fodder, eh?

• 1Agree

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
The cool thing about the screwdriver reaction is it's good for calling someone a tool. :)

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
So much for them judging the case when it is brought to them.

Romana

SL Rez

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009