Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
What Spirits said isn't wrong, though. I will say that nothing like random comments would persuade me to vote or not vote for someone. That's a little bit like the spite voting we've seen from Trumpers and the bullshit argument that they make that if we don't kiss their ass it will make them vote for him.

Sid

I'm not old, I'm vintage!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, Netherlands
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
If you read up, I noted that she is part Indian, which is another plus.

(Obama was our first black president, but he was half white.)
I think, skin color and gender aren't real important qualities for a presidency candidate.
Is it really important to have a 'first of' president? I would prefer a good one.
If he/she is from one of the 'first of' categories, that can be a nice bonus, but is it essential?

Charisma, awesome but realistic political ideas, relevant political experience, the ability to compromise, excellent networking, great communicator, intelligent, capable to make though decisions if needed, acting presidential, a sence of humor. All those things are far more essential IMHO.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
If that's the only thing they have on her, they have nothing on her.
Especially since it is relatively common in family oral histories, especially if your family in the US goes back aways. Fortunately she had the good sense to do two things:

1) Get her DNA tested so it was not a he said/she said situation (It can be argued she took his bait but a lot of people are also genuinely curious about their backgrounds, are we going to say she does not have access to the same resources anyone else would have?)

2) State in no uncertain terms she was not claiming tribal membership. The fact she has never used such fact in the past to get a job or promotion really helps her case here as she is just stating a fact .... that a long time ago someone in her family intermingled with someone who was native american.

For non-US people, her family story is not uncommon here. My RL last name is the same last name of a 19th century native american who had some european ancestry. It would not surprise me in the least if umteen generations back our respective family trees intersected in the UK somewhere since the name is not very common but that is all it would be, an interesting factoid.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Sep 19, 2018
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Yes, It's Almost Decision Time For 2020 Democratic Presidential Hopefuls

Here's a glimpse at the potential 2020 Democratic presidential field:

Senators
Cory Booker of New Jersey
Sherrod Brown of Ohio
Kamala Harris of California
Kirsten Gillibrand of New York
Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota
Jeff Merkley of Oregon
Bernie Sanders of Vermont
Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts

Representatives
John Delaney of Maryland (declared)
Beto O'Rourke of Texas
Eric Swalwell of California

Governors
Steve Bullock of Montana
John Hickenlooper of Colorado
Jay Inslee of Washington
Terry McAuliffe of Virginia (former)
Deval Patrick of Massachusetts (former)

Others
Former Vice President Joe Biden
Businessman and former Mayor Michael Bloomberg, New York City
Attorney Michael Avenatti
Mayor Eric Garcetti, Los Angeles
State Sen. Richard Ojeda of West Virginia (declared)
Activist and philanthropist Tom Steyer
Not an exhaustive list, but it includes the names most often discussed in the media at this time. We could see some strong surprise names step in, and some of these may be more interested in publicity than actually winning (just look at how that worked out for Trump). It has a broad ideological spread, and despite what many are saying represents a deep field of potential candidates.

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I think, skin color and gender aren't real important qualities for a presidency candidate.
Is it really important to have a 'first of' president? I would prefer a good one.
If he/she is from one of the 'first of' categories, that can be a nice bonus, but is it essential?

Charisma, awesome but realistic political ideas, relevant political experience, the ability to compromise, excellent networking, great communicator, intelligent, capable to make though decisions if needed, acting presidential, a sence of humor. All those things are far more essential IMHO.
Any other time in history I would probably agree, but this race is different: we are up against white nationalists. If you look at the Republican Senate and Trumps cabinet, you could say white male nationalists.

So to me it seems fitting, if not essential, to look beyond white males for the top job in this one election. As running mate, ok.

Oct 1, 2018

While I get what you mean, by this logic, the chances of getting a minority or female president in a predominantly white male run system are extremely slim. Your argument is constantly used against systems where there are minority employment requirements.

So I have to disagree with you. Skin color and gender do have merit in a system that discriminates against them.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Yes, It's Almost Decision Time For 2020 Democratic Presidential Hopefuls

Not an exhaustive list, but it includes the names most often discussed in the media at this time. We could see some strong surprise names step in, and some of these may be more interested in publicity than actually winning (just look at how that worked out for Trump). It has a broad ideological spread, and despite what many are saying represents a deep field of potential candidates.
I am a fan favorite of Amy Klobuchar being on the ticket. She has no baggage so I think it would be hard to use the usual attacks against her. She gets even Republicans, but more importantly rural voters, to vote for her (granted this is MN). She always votes a strong safety net/lgbt rights/civil rights/labor rights/consumer protection, etc... She's been in the Senate for awhile now, so she can work with them, especially hopefully if we, by some miracle, win the senate as well. It might help somewhat, too, that's she's in the upper midwest maybe helping secure Wisconsin/Michigan/Iowa with the first two being crucial since they were two of the three states that tipped in Trump's favor in 2016, giving him the win.

I'd hate to lose her seat here but I think she is a gem in plain sight. She's pretty low key, so I'm not sure she would energize voters as much, but as at least VP, she is solid.

Here's her voting record:

Senator Amy Klobuchar's voting record
The Voter's Self Defense System

Amy Klobuchar is being talked up as a 2020 contender who could 'bury' Trump after she won re-election in Minnesota

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Right now, I'd rather Hillary or Biden run, than any of the current Dem Gov., Congresscritters or Senators. We just got the House and evened out the Governors a bit, let's not lose that, please?

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Sep 20, 2018
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE.

I don't know who this "former" advisor is, but I'll talk about another story I was following earlier this week. It was another "HILLARY IS RUNNING" story that was 100% made up.

Hilary repeatedly said she wasn't running in a recent interview where she also, as a side comment, said something about how she thought she would be a good president.

What got the headlines?

"HILLARY RUNNING IN 2020"
"says she would make a good president"

The "HILLARY IS RUNNING AGAIN" meme is 100% manufactured. It's a classic set up for the same kind of gaslighting the press has been doing to her for 20 years. Because she didn't act like a "traditional" first lady and stay in the background back in the '90s.

Quit getting taken in by this shit.

• Thanks Thanks 7
  • Like Like 1
  • Rainbow 🌈 Rainbow 🌈 1
  • Agree Agree 1
  • Show all
Sep 21, 2018
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
Monkey brain paranoia here but, has anyone considered the possibility that it won't matter who the Democrats run because Trump won't honor the results if he loses?
He can throw all the temper tantrums he wants, but the FBI can always physically carry him out of the Oval Office if he refuses to budge.

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I picture him summoning the army to save him since he thinks they are his personally, like the entire justice dept. But I doubt they would feel obligated.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
He can throw all the temper tantrums he wants, but the FBI can always physically carry him out of the Oval Office if he refuses to budge.
Now I hope he does resist. I would pay good money to see that!

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego, California
SL Rez
Joined SLU

Also not a basic understanding of everything that's going on and how the world works but an excellent knowledge of history, politics, economics, and world wide current events. And the ability to process and remember a ton of new information everyday.

Rose Karuna

Crazy Cat Lady - borrowed pic from Xerdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
Someplace new soon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Hoorah![/QUOTE]
My ideal candidate? A female war hero with an backbone like steel, a true love for democracy as a concept and a quick intellect that can ignore his baiting and cut to his faults and flaws again and again. Surely, she exists somewhere.
Tammy Duckworth would come the closest to this, but I think she was born in Thailand which would disqualify her to be president.

She's was in congress and now she's in the senate.

Home | U.S. Senator Tammy Duckworth of Illinois

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Tammy Duckworth would come the closest to this, but I think she was born in Thailand which would disqualify her to be president
That's iffy. The Constitution is not really clear on what exactly is a "natural born citizen". Ted Cruz ran for President, and he was born in Canada. Sen. Duckworth was born to an American citizen serving on active duty. Would her nomination be contentious? You bet. But I don't think she's necessarily disqualified from a constitutional standpoint.