Hillary will run in 2020

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Joe Biden is brilliant, but like Hillary, Bernie, etc. — too old for a job that takes so much energy. They need to be advisors. Reagan developed Alzheimer’s while in office, Trump is obviously senile.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
Sep 19, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
There has been some rumblings about Michelle Obama running - I hope it's not true. Not that I would not love to have her as president, but it would be absolutely brutal and I don't want to see her go through that.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Hillary needs to just go away.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I will vote for whichever Dem makes it to the general. WHICHEVER Dem makes it. If it's Hillary that means I'll vote for her, again.

But I agree we should be able to field a better candidate, and I'm counting on the primaries to deliver one. Personally I don't have any useful ideas, other than that in theory it would be really awesome if we could have someone a little less male, a little less white, a little less rich, and a lot less old than your typical presidential candidate.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
There has been some rumblings about Michelle Obama running - I hope it's not true. Not that I would not love to have her as president, but it would be absolutely brutal and I don't want to see her go through that.
I would love to have Michelle as President. I think she'd do a good job with it. But you're right, the path to that election would be absolutely brutal.

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
She says no way in hell. Not in those exact words.

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I will vote for whichever Dem makes it to the general. WHICHEVER Dem makes it. If it's Hillary that means I'll vote for her, again.

But I agree we should be able to field a better candidate, and I'm counting on the primaries to deliver one. Personally I don't have any useful ideas, other than that in theory it would be really awesome if we could have someone a little less male, a little less white, a little less rich, and a lot less old than your typical presidential candidate.
That’s the problem with Beto, he is all of that except old. His father in law is a billionaire. But he could be vice prez!

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
Sep 19, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I don't think Bernie fractured the base. It was already fractured before the first primary was ever held a significant number of the "base" and Dem leaning independents (like me) were saying, "there is no reality in which we vote for Hillary Clinton," and the base failed to listen to us.
Given your post history, I don't believe this bullshit fantasy for a moment. If anyone was stupid enough to say "there is no reality in which we vote for Hillary Clinton", congrats, you are why we have Trump. Hillary was not perfect - no candidate is, but she would have made an excellent president. The babies who took their toys and went home and wouldn't vote for her are assholes, full stop.

Last edited:

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
That’s the problem with Beto, he is all of that except old. His father in law is a billionaire. But he could be vice prez!
True, and those are more of an ideal than a list of requirements. Joe Biden fails all of them too, but I wouldn't mind a President Biden TOO much.

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
For the top job, IMO a white male should not even be considered.

Free

The Pie Whisperer
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Neuken, America
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Also I would so love the baboon to get his butt kicked by a black woman.
I would happily vote for a baboon in 2020 over the current incurious beast we now have in office.

Free

The Pie Whisperer
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Neuken, America
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Dem leaning independents (like me) were saying, "there is no reality in which we vote for Hillary Clinton," and the base failed to listen to us.
If the base of the Democratic Party had listened to "Dem leaning independents" (like you), I would have voted a straight Communist Party ticket.

Oct 29, 2018
Hopefully, the Dems would not be stupid enough to
Democrats aren't stupid enough to follow advice from people pretending to be Democrats, including the laughable walkaway testaments.
Researching sources, you always find a Republican base.
Hillary needs to just go away.
Since the end of 2016, Hillary Clinton has help raised tons of money for Democrats and charitable causes. She has still been effectively motivating a lot of people.
If she doesn't run again, I'm good with this.

This idea that she should just 'go away' has deep misogynist roots. Even after Bernie Sanders public show of a lack of understanding pure racism, how come we don't hear calls for him to take up knitting?

Sep 20, 2018
Hillary Clinton would be a good president but there's been three decades of propaganda poisoning people against her to the point where they would rather vote for a sentient pile of shit than her.
I think this is the core of why she'd be a fool to run again. Conservatives are really, REALLY good at demonizing people who've been around and in the spot light for a long time. If you try hard to avoid conservative media, you are likely to underestimate how good they are at this. Obama really benefited from the fact that he seemed to come out of nowhere. I think that's what we need to happen again, a very charismatic candidate who has relevant experience, but isn't already well known among people who don't follow politics closely.

I think Warren would be a disaster. She's very well liked among people who are guaranteed to vote against Trump no matter what, but isn't that popular with the country as a whole. Her numbers look pretty terrible for someone who's so well known already.

Sep 20, 2018
Since the end of 2016, Hillary Clinton has help raised tons of money for Democrats and charitable causes. She has still been effectively motivating a lot of people.
If she doesn't run again, I'm good with this.

This idea that she should just 'go away' has deep misogynist roots. Even after Bernie Sanders public show of a lack of understanding pure racism, how come we don't hear calls for him to take up knitting?
I agree with this. I would love for her to campaign for the 2020 candidate, I just don't think she should run again.

Sep 20, 2018
Hilary running would bring out the same base it did for Trump last time. It would be "lock her up" and turning her into everyone on the right's worse nightmare in a far more blatant way than they did last time. If Trump could choose his opponent - this would be his dream. It doesn't matter that he does far worse with his iphone on a daily basis than her worst mistake came close to doing. None of it matters. Its about entertainment and us vs. them.

If we have another set of free and fair presidential elections (and I think that is an if at this point - the way he and his lackeys are jumping on the voter fraud train is a prelude to trying to severely limit who can vote) I think that only a completely scandal-free, severely likeable and somewhat boring person could beat him. I'm not even sure that proven collusion and financial crimes would do much to alter his popularity with the base that will come out for him again and again.

My ideal candidate? A female war hero with an backbone like steel, a true love for democracy as a concept and a quick intellect that can ignore his baiting and cut to his faults and flaws again and again. Surely, she exists somewhere.

Sep 23, 2018
Detroit, Mi.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Let's face it, there is an element in the Democratic party that would rather lose with a mainstream candidate than win with a progressive.

Qie Niangao

Coin-operated
Sep 25, 2018
SL Rez
If you listen to the Kara Swisher interview with Hillary at the 92Y, there's really no doubt she said "no" in no uncertain terms. That she also joked she'd "like to be President" doesn't even begin to justify all the fuss about her considering running for President ever again, of which I think there is precisely zero chance.

I'll vote for anybody the Democrats run against Trump, of course, but in the primaries I'd only support candidates who pass the most basic litmus test of party loyalty: When any other candidate -- progressive, moderate, who cares? -- gets enough delegates, you immediately end your campaign and pitch in with full, active support any way you can possibly help the winner. No BS about giving your losing supporters a voice at the convention, no campaign funding nonsense, no excuses.

Maybe it was forgivable for Bernie to fritter, back when we were all sure Hillary couldn't possibly lose to Trump; same excuse for Comey and the New York Times. But now we're older and wiser and goddammit America does not deserve our first female President to be Ivanka.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

The ideal would be for both Bernie and Hillary to get together and mutually agree to not run and throw their weight behind an ideal progressive candidate. Warren would be my first choice however they might have another name in mind (and if she leaves that is a seat the Rs might get). So donnie would tear into her. So what? He will do that with ANY d that is running. If whoever can unite quite a few people behind them though that will beat his nazi base easily.