Help -- my laptop cannot detect any of my wireless headsets any more!

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This is weird. I have a Windows laptop (Windows 10) that was, until yesterday afternoon, behaving perfectly. Then suddenly the headset shut down and music started coming from the speakers instead.

I tried to re-connect to the headset but that proved impossible, so eventually I removed it from the computer's list of audio devices and tried to pair it again.

This didn't work for any of my headsets, even though the laptop could see various other bluetooth devices in range (my wireless printer, for example) and even though I could connect the headsets to both my PC and my phone and use them normally.

I've tried updating the sound drivers, but Windows tells me they're up to date. I haven't done anything to the computer recently that might have changed any settings.

I'm baffled. Any suggestions anyone?

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
On a Linux computer I would just locate the devive files and delete it's profile by hand - I bet you can do the same in Windows - but don't ask me how...

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Stora

SL Rez
I would get the latest drivers from the headset manufactures website if possible, failing that I would remove the drivers then reboot and install them again.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I can't find drivers, though, on the manufacturers' websites (Berron or Manhattan), so I'm not sure what to do next.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
the headset is charging properly? you mentioned could but are you still able to pair it to other devices at this point of time?

Yure4u Sosa

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Apr2009
SLU Posts
if you did a windows update that might break your computer try rolling back the windows update.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Buy a USB Bluetooth dongle for maybe $5 and if it works, you know you just saved yourself a repair bill, and if it does't, you know it's a Windows problem that will be fixed in the next update and which you can roll back for now.

ETA: WIndows 10 now allows you to delay updates: How to Delay Windows 10 Updates

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Fixed it.

I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but it turned out that an old laptop, to which the headsets had previously been paired, had somehow been turned on (presumably by me, though I have no idea how).

Anyway, of course, you can't pair the one headset with two machines, and as soon as I'd removed one of them from the old laptop, my new one could see it again and it's now working as normal.

I rather wish I'd thought of that before I bought a new headset, to see if that would work, but it's a good little headset and it was on sale, so I'm not too distressed.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm just glad to have discovered the cause of the problem.