Head-exploding moments in SL.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
My head does that quite a bit in SL, not literally, but figuratively. Just today someone intimated that my presence drove certain "nice" people away from a social venue. This person claimed that I was a "bad influence" on said social venue.

And I had a scanners-head-exploding moment. This thread is for our head-asploding moments in SL, when we think "WTF" :wtf: and our heads figuratively explode

Vaelissa Cortes

SL Rez
My head exploded when i saw humans pay 5000L$ for a head and call it "worth" or "good".
It's really not hard to understand, people just want something that looks nice, that is it, done. The price is a premium people give in to, to get the end results they want. Looking pretty is all that matters, or even comes to mind for the average resident, and honestly many of them accomplish that quite well.

Mod rights, efficiency, and how much of a bloated mess that never should have been uploaded doesn't come to mind, and the average person doesn't have any clear incentive to care, despite SL constantly being "laggy" for them, for some mysterious reason :banghead:. Really, that's how it should be too; in an ideal world, the end user wouldn't have to worry about all that, but sadly this is Second Life. The creators are the stupid ones here in the end, simply making them mod would allow those who know what they are doing to optimize so much, but they are no mod to prevent something folks like you and I know is laughably easy to get around.

What makes my head explode? The fact that the majority of creators these days, especially in the human market, actively choose to stay wilfully ignorant and absolutely refuse to improve their building habits, especially since over half the time all this would involve is stretching a UV map to use more space, and using a smaller texture size (and mod rights, give people mod rights).

Last edited:

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
What makes my head explode? The fact that the majority of creators these days, especially in the human market, actively choose to stay wilfully ignorant and absolutely refuse to improve their building habits, especially since over half the time all this would involve is stretching a UV map to use more space, and using a smaller texture size (and mod rights, give people mod rights).
Ah.. if i weren't long past a million head pops because of that already i'd vote this for a good alternative head popper.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
My head does that quite a bit in SL, not literally, but figuratively. Just today someone intimated that my presence drove certain "nice" people away from a social venue. This person claimed that I was a "bad influence" on said social venue.
Yeah....

I took on a leadership posistion in a very old estate, and basically everyone stayed away ...like, in fucking droves.

My term ends and then everyone comes back and the place is a whirlwind of creativity, building, etc.

My reaction when:

Which, apart from helping out my successor (bc she's a friend and helped me out a fuck-ton during my shift) is exactly what I've done...

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not my head, but the one belonging to this guy, who I’ve never heard of, who IMed me out of the blue a little while ago:

[3:00] JamesCarlson: you always give your houses different names when they all look the same inside. Can't you be a little bit more creative? Why so many windows? Walls are important and a must. I used to buy your freaking houses and now with so many other great designers selling better stuff why should i spend a dime on your crap?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
People judging what other people find fun, good and worthy in SL has always made my head explode and this is an example.
I think it's save to assume that its objectively not good to pay 5000L$ for a single head when previously a whole body cost half of that but then again paying a fifth of that for a shape anyone could create in mere seconds is probably more worth a head pop than a 5k head, the head at least has the excuse that they "put a lot work in it" and not everyone can simply right click and create one real quick. It also pops my head seeing people support this, what can only be explained as "trial and error for how much money we can squeeze out of as little content as possible" scam. EA and Ubisoft vibes start to set in.

Also... damn you got that legendary exploder? I want that....

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Bea McMahon

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
My head exploded when i saw humans pay 5000L$ for a head and call it "worth" or "good".
I understand that you have an axe against what you see as irresponsible resource usage by mesh parts by us humans...especially us humans with female avatars, but.... most of the people who buy those heads aren't part of the "build everything yourself" sandbox/tech/programmer robot/furry/alien crowd. So we either don't or can't make our own furry/alien/robot avatars and build our own vehicles.

People judging what other people find fun, good and worthy in SL has always made my head explode and this is an example.
I will respond to this more fully in a different post. But I will say this here. I can understand where Niran is coming from, and even agree with him to a certain extent, but believe his focus on tech makes him rather unskilled at the social niceties that would get more of us "girly girl shoppers" on his side.

It also pops my head seeing people support this, what can only be explained as "trial and error for how much money we can squeeze out of as little content as possible" scam. EA and Ubisoft vibes start to set in.
this is when I say: "Smile when you say that, pardner" The real explanation is the female avatars want pretty and they will PAY for it, willingly. Unlike some of the sandboxer/tech crowd who take pride in not paying for ANYTHING. You basically shouting against the sea about triangle counts in mesh heads and bodies will do you no good, unless you can get the shoppers on your side. And they're not going to want to if they think you're one of the tech-nerds with a non-human avatar who will slag the "Barbies" or "Normies" every chance you get.

And I run Linux, so I know how some nerds/techies can be towards non-techy people, especially women.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Everyone has his/her own SL.
Some build everything, others buy everything and there is every shade of grey thinkable in between those two.
And that is just fine. If there weren't builders, there would be nothing to buy. If there weren't buyers an awful lot of builders would not make new stuff.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Less seriously, I saw Saffia Widdershins in t-shirt and jeans today. T-SHIRT and JEANS! My head exploded. I'm used to Saffia being old-timey and foofy like a very posh princess. Even her voice is posh.

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
I understand that you have an axe against what you see as irresponsible resource usage by mesh parts by us humans...especially us humans with female avatars, but.... most of the people who buy those heads aren't part of the "build everything yourself" sandbox/tech/programmer robot/furry/alien crowd. So we either don't or can't make our own furry/alien/robot avatars and build our own vehicles.

I will respond to this more fully in a different post. But I will say this here. I can understand where Niran is coming from, and even agree with him to a certain extent, but believe his focus on tech makes him rather unskilled at the social niceties that would get more of us "girly girl shoppers" on his side.

this is when I say: "Smile when you say that, pardner" The real explanation is the female avatars want pretty and they will PAY for it, willingly. Unlike some of the sandboxer/tech crowd who take pride in not paying for ANYTHING. You basically shouting against the sea about triangle counts in mesh heads and bodies will do you no good, unless you can get the shoppers on your side. And they're not going to want to if they think you're one of the tech-nerds with a non-human avatar who will slag the "Barbies" or "Normies" every chance you get.

And I run Linux, so I know how some nerds/techies can be towards non-techy people, especially women.
Did you just assume i build everything myself?

That's ... Minecraftism?

I'm just as much a customer as anyone else, i only ever build stuff myself if i absolutely have to (and actually have the skills to do so). I buy my avatars, i buy my parts, i do go on girly shopping sprees too for parts, the only difference is that i'm not buying anything someone offers me, i run a very simple thought experiment on how much (aprox) work it must be to create the object in question, compare the result and price to what i've bought previously and come to the conclusion that said heads are simply not worth the pricetag. I can deduct their unworthy price without even having to run the work approximation by simply comparing previously bought stuff with this. Taking humans as example you do sometimes buy shapes for the ungodly amount of 1000L$ (which in itself is an absolute scam), thats technically seen one body part, you buy a whole body for 2000-3000L$, its multiple parts... technically its just one but you know what i mean. Now if i compare 3000L$ for a whole body to 5000L$ for just a head... doesn't something seem off to you? There's a 2000L$ price difference for the lack of... well everything? Bento, sure sure... its Bento. Bento however is just an additional feature people will quickly get used to use in content creation, its some extra work yes but does not rectify a 66% price increase over an entire body of content. I'm unsure how much older heads cost you but i'd guess in the price range of 1000L$ to 2000L$ roughly, that's still a 2.5 - 5 times price increase for basically a bit of extra work. I mean you don't go and buy a snickers that looks a bit better and pay 5 times the price don't you?

What i'm saying is, this has nothing to do with my tech knowledge or with the fact that i occasionally and i mean REALLY rarely (i'm lazy) create content myself, it's simply applying some common sense and realism to my shopping and you should too, you'd save a lot of money and if enough people do this you'd also force content creators to stop applying such insane prices to their products. They only do this because you let them. Second Life's market is demand and supply after all.

• 1Like
Reactions: Han Held

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Unlike some of the sandboxer/tech crowd who take pride in not paying for ANYTHING. You basically shouting against the sea about triangle counts in mesh heads and bodies will do you no good, unless you can get the shoppers on your side. And they're not going to want to if they think you're one of the tech-nerds with a non-human avatar who will slag the "Barbies" or "Normies" every chance you get.

Seconding pretty much all of this -and I'm someone who regularly builds NetBSD/MATE from source and even once long, long ago got an article published in a Linux magazine.

Normie and proud, mother-fucker ...normie and proud

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
What i'm saying is, this has nothing to do with my tech knowledge or with the fact that i occasionally and i mean REALLY rarely (i'm lazy) create content myself, it's simply applying some common sense and realism to my shopping and you should too, you'd save a lot of money and if enough people do this you'd also force content creators to stop applying such insane prices to their products. They only do this because you let them. Second Life's market is demand and supply after all.
It's a matter of trade-offs.

You look at 5k heads and go "good god, you'd have to be a moron to buy that!" -which on the face of it, isn't terribly unreasonable. Hell, I drug my feet on that too. I didn't adopt mesh -period- for a couple of years. But what you get for paying (what can be an outrageous amount of cashmoney) doesn't end with just the contents of the box the head came in.

Buying the body, and the head and all of that isn't just an isolated purchase, it's buying tools that are used for blogging, it's buying cachet in the fashionista circles and by buying not just mesh, but specific brands you demonstrated both knowlege of what people like and also a financial commitment.

There may be other things I'm missing because I'm not a fashionista -but the sexytime parts of SL I hang in these days work in a similar way (ie demonstrating a commitment to your "game"). The places I go it's common to see profiles that say things like "I spend time and money on my avatar, and I expect you to too" which is saying "I worked hard, you should too", IE "I expect you to match my level of commitment" -because no one wants to be left to do all the work.

So in both the high end fashionista places, and in the gutter I roll around in, spending that amount of money is an investment that is spent in hopes that it opens up other doors or other avenues ...if nothing else, it's an investment that helps us to look better in snapshots.

Last edited:

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
It's a matter of trade-offs.

You look at 5k heads and go "good god, you'd have to be a moron to buy that!" -which on the face of it, isn't terribly unreasonable. Hell, I drug my feet on that too. I didn't adopt mesh -period- for a couple of years. But what you get for paying (what can be an outrageous amount of cashmoney) doesn't end with just the contents of the box the head came in.

Buying the body, and the head and all of that isn't just an isolated purchase, it's buying tools that are used for blogging, it's buying cachet in the fashionista circles and by buying not just mesh, but specific brands you demonstrated both knowlege of what people like and also a financial commitment.

There may be other things I'm missing because I'm not a fashionista -but the sexytime parts of SL I hang in these days work in a similar way (ie demonstrating a commitment to your "game"). The places I go it's common to see profiles that say things like "I spend time and money on my avatar, and I expect you to too" which is saying "I worked hard, you should too", IE "I expect you to match my level of commitment" -because no one wants to be left to do all the work.

So in both the high end fashionista places, and in the gutter I roll around in, spending that amount of money is an investment that is spent in hopes that it opens up other doors or other avenues ...if nothing else, it's an investment that helps us to look better in snapshots.
Pardon but are you implying that these people put more time/effort into their avatars because they pay more?

Putting more money into something doesn't mean you put more effort into it and neither does it mean you put more time into it, unless said money is split across more items, in that case you spent more time collecting the necessary parts.

I can see that there are people who do this for blogging purposes and i'd be fine with that if said bloggers didn't praise these items like Jesus's second coming but rather come to a similar conclusion than i do and warn other users about these items rather than recommending them without a second thought.

I don't know how much time and effort you put into your stuff, or anyone else does but time is a very fragile variable, since time depends on each user's skill, skilled people take less for the same work. Generally as someone who knows his way around the UI and Content Creation i can quickly do what i need to do when i need to do it and i don't just stop at clicking a button on a HUD to color my eyes (i still do these things manually for greater and more accurate control). I spent time ... *ahem* legally getting the textures, analyzing them, optimizing them where possible, reducing unnecessary clutter and fixing issues with the bought items (if any). I wrote and documented what i did to optimize my avatar in a blog post (which sadly i had to hide because it could be seen as guide on how to steal textures for nefarious doings ~ although i was clearly using it for good things), showed the stats of before/after, what i saved and that the end result looked the same, with less issues and was much better optimized in script usage, texture memory usage and polygon count and doing so involved more than just detaching a thing, it required removing/replacing scripts, extracting and editing textures, editing the object and could have even stepped up one notch with full mesh editing in blender (if i again wasn't so lazy) to fix even the last remaining issue.

That is, this is not even anything special or out of the ordinary, this kind of modding is the baseline of what Second Life avatar creation was the past 10 years since i'm in SL, it pains me to see that people have forgotten how to do these things and accepted a ridiculously higher pricetag for less freedom and dumbing down. Maybe this is just a furry thing, furries were always used to assembling their avatars from parts, doing technical modding... but even if that was the case why is it that human stuff doesn't offer these things as option at least that would be an excuse for a higher pricetag (a weak one but at least one at all). What pains me even more is when humans come along and try to find excuses for these high prices or outright talk down furry stuff ~ "its cartoony" "its not the same as human stuff" "but furry stuff doesn't follow realistic proportions" etc, i see these every day and they are weak to say the least. Furry content creators put a lot of effort and time and technical know-how into their creations to create these things whereas humans just hire all kinds of people to do their dirty work for them, half-ass their rigs, spam subdivide on their stuff because more polygons = better and then go around and complain that SL runs as bad as it does... or worse complain at the Viewer devs who spend their time on fixing or lessening what is caused by these creations. Attachments getting detached on TP, SIMs lagging like crazy when people TP in, your framerate being horribly low, textures going blurry all the time, just to mention a few are all issues bad content causes which could be prevented or at least drastically reduced.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
5000L is about 21 USD which is comparable more or less to a movie ticket w/overpriced snacks. So is a movie 'worth it'? Different strokes.

Everyone has his/her own SL. Some build everything, others buy everything and there is every shade of grey thinkable in between those two. And that is just fine. If there weren't builders, there would be nothing to buy. If there weren't buyers an awful lot of builders would not make new stuff.
:word: This. I can't make a thing and have zero desire to do so. I consume. SL is where my monthly budget for entertainment goes and I'm more than happy to hand those dollars to a designer who makes a product that enhances my entertainment. They create, I buy. Symbiosis.