Head-exploding moments in SL.

Sep 21, 2018
Scotland
Furries are a niche and their stuff tends to be cheaper, but that's not because Furries are morally superior to human avatars, it's just the culture is less supportive of people charging more for their work, for whatever reason. But even human clothing is pretty cheap when you consider the amount of work that goes into it and the number of copies most people are realisitically going to sell. You can't really judge the internal SL economy from the few outliers who rake in teh spacebux. Mesh bodies and heads they started charging more (probably to pay for outsourced work, since most people can't model and texture and script and market and etc all on their own) and I don't like the new high start-up cost for an SL avatar, but people are allowed to charge for their own (or maybe someone else's) work.

Also how is the human avatar economy closed and people get kicked out of it? Anyone can make anything they want and charge what they want for it, it's not like Thingy Maitreya comes round to your house and threatens you with eternal lag if you undercut her.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 26, 2018
Central Illinois
Since you've been asking: NEET with depression, living still in parent's home.
Ah, I have some experience with that sort of thing myself from 88 to 97 and it is hard to deal with and get over. I feel for Niran if that is the case.

but I found something else to use instead.
Excellent! What are you using.

the HUDs drive me insane,
Yes.

I'm trying to reduce my complexity below 20k consistently
Yeah, that would be very hard to do with a mesh body.

it's just the culture is less supportive of people charging more for their work, for whatever reason.
Yes.

Mesh bodies and heads they started charging more (probably to pay for outsourced work, since most people can't model and texture and script and market and etc all on their own)
I'm pretty sure the bodies and heads are outsourced, the same way Anshe outsourced her content. Catwa was known for Hair, Maitreya for Hair, footwear and dresses. Belleza was a skin-maker. SLINK did shoes with built in sculpty feet before mesh though.

Also how is the human avatar economy closed and people get kicked out of it? Anyone can make anything they want and charge what they want for it, it's not like Thingy Maitreya comes round to your house and threatens you with eternal lag if you undercut her.
Indeed.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Vaelissa Cortes

Sep 20, 2018
I have not switched to a mesh head, primarily because my face does look like a younger me - and I am determined to keep that look. Some day I might decide to do it. No rush.
With Blender + Avastar it's possible to upgrade system heads to smoother, more detailed and bento enabled versions. As a bonus, you get to use 1024x1024 versions of face textures on top of that (as opposed to baked 512x512s on system heads), assuming you get the original pre-baked skin. Same head you know and love, but better!

Some before and after examples of a friend's head:

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

Autistic spectrum?
Since you've been asking: NEET with depression, living still in parent's home.
I have noticed that both of these are seriously disproportionately high in the furry community.

Last edited:

Puretone

Still Pancakes alt (Roxy Couturier)
Sep 21, 2018
I was, but I wasn't able to put anything in, or modify the ZHAO driver notecard. I have a pile of special animations I wanted to put in and tweak the thing around. I could have put them into a blank ZHAO but I found something else to use instead.
If you use Firestorm, strip out the animations and put them into the FS AO. No notecard needed. No limit of 12 whatever animations. Drag and drop technology; get an new animation to add? just drag and drop it in. Got specialized AOs? You can create separate AOs and switch with just a couple of clicks. No having to search inventory for that puppet AO or whatever.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
Sep 20, 2018
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
If you use Firestorm, strip out the animations and put them into the FS AO. No notecard needed. No limit of 12 whatever animations. Drag and drop technology; get an new animation to add? just drag and drop it in. Got specialized AOs? You can create separate AOs and switch with just a couple of clicks. No having to search inventory for that puppet AO or whatever.
So I poked at it, and while the animation sets to load are good, I'm lazy, and will hold out until they can load with outfits. (Unless I'm blind and it already can, in that case someone pls advise) Mebbe I'll use it for an alt that doesn't have a lot of outfits.

Puretone

Sep 21, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean different AO's for different looks? If so, it works like regular AO's. You can name separate AO's whatever you want.

So, if you have say a Geisha AO for Geisha outfits, you strip the physical AO, put the animations into a FS AO set and name that set Geisha. When you switch to the geisha outfit, click on the AO button and load the Geisha set.

Sure, it doesn't load automagically like a physical AO would, but adding new animations is easy as drag and drop. It also gives you better control of each AO and starting one is literally 4? clicks. if you count choosing from the drop down menu of AO's as a click.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
Sep 20, 2018
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
The Appearance thing that save links to various inventory wearables that recently had the Outfit Gallery added to it. Right click and get this menu:

If that can also swap the FS AO without extra steps, I'm interested in how to do that.

Puretone

Sep 21, 2018
The Appearance thing that save links to various inventory wearables that recently had the Outfit Gallery added to it. Right click and get this menu:

If that can also swap the FS AO without extra steps, I'm interested in how to do that.
No, it can't. The FS AO isn't a physical AO, it's viewer based. While setting up multiple AO's initially can be a pain, it's far less of a pain than setting up a physical AO that attaches to you.

No messing with a notecard and having to get the spelling of every no mod animation absolutely correct. It saves an attachment slot from being used. It puts all your AOs (once you set them up) in one spot. It doesn't use a script in SLs servers as it's coded into the viewer. It's far easier to maintain and modify. You can have more animations per state (i.e. stands, sits, walks etc.) than you can in a scripted physical AO. You have more control of things like animation play length before switching to the next animation. You can have the animations play in sequence OR in random order. Sure, there's 3 or 4 mouse clicks to switch an AO, but they aren't onerous steps by any stretch of the imagination. And unless your computer is a complete potato, far quicker than calling up inventory from SLs servers, attaching an item and waiting for the script to run and report back.

Romana

Sep 21, 2018
I logged in today after a long break from SL, so of course I had some updating to do.
I noticed that there is now a bake on mesh button on the LeLutka head HUDs, but bake on mesh isn't a thing yet, is it, outside of a months-old project viewer?
And what's animated mesh (the big change in the new Firestorm?

Chalice Yao

The Purple
Sep 20, 2018
Somewhere Purple, Germany
And what's animated mesh (the big change in the new Firestorm?
It should be in the LL Viewer as well.
Essentially, Animesh allows mesh that is rigged to the avatar skeleton to also use animations and its own linked 'attachments' while being rezzed in-world.

Or, put in simple terms, using a mixture of viewer editor stuff and scripting, you can link a mesh body to a mesh head, link mesh clothes, drop it all inworld and have it animate like an avatar. Think NPCs in games. But technically it could apply to all sorts of 'non creature' in-world objects as well. Animated non-avatar mesh.

Romana

Sep 21, 2018
It should be in the LL Viewer as well.
Essentially, Animesh allows mesh that is rigged to the avatar skeleton to also use animations and its own linked 'attachments' while being rezzed in-world.

Or, put in simple terms, using a mixture of viewer editor stuff and scripting, you can link a mesh body to a mesh head, link mesh clothes, drop it all inworld and have it animate like an avatar. Think NPCs in games. But technically it could apply to all sorts of 'non creature' in-world objects as well. Animated non-avatar mesh.
Hm, that ought to make the Fantasy Faire Hunt interesting. 😊

Sid

Not lazy, but in energy saving mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, NL
So LL is changing the light settings.
Wow, what a pile of sh*t.

Look at the reflections all over the place.
And when you walk to the waterline it even get's worse.
No matter if you stand with your face towards the sun, with the sun at your back or the sun from the side, you will have 5.5 meters of light reflection in the water.
Incompetent they were, incompetent they are, incompetent they will stay.

And the clouds drift with a speed only to be seen just before a major storm system in RL.
:banghead: