Head-exploding moments in SL.

Bartholomew Gallacher

Thinking it over... yes. It's gone.

@Niran: don't start a discussion and complain afterwards that people are participating in it. That's illogical and inconsequential.

EmpressOfCommunism

Too Cute for Capitalism ❤️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The disturbing thing is that this sort of person is always convinced that everyone is exactly as self focused as they are, but is hiding it, therefor making them superior for being "honest" about it, as per the comment about how people are only altruistic to bolster their own image. Get a room full of people of that mindset, and you have a room full of people each thinking that they are the single most talented person and smart person there, who can collapse entire industries with just a click of a button.

This is everywhere in SL, even some lindens think this way. Ironically, I think this is partially why SL has its performance issues. These people never take criticism well, and that's why we have unnecessarily heavy mesh, weird heights, stolen mesh, giant textures, and crappy camera angles. You can't help improve something if the dev is already perfect, and has ascended the concerns of the little people.

NeoBokrug Elytis

++post_count;
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Heads regularly explode in The Wastelands, but that's just part of the games there.

In all seriousness though, my head explodes when skilled gaming, fashion, and sex are still big driving factors in SL. Like, here we all are -- we've got these tools to make literally anything, and we settle for what we're familiar with. Boring.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I think it's save to assume that its objectively not good to pay 5000L$ for a single head when previously a whole body cost half of that but then again paying a fifth of that for a shape anyone could create in mere seconds is probably more worth a head pop than a 5k head, the head at least has the excuse that they "put a lot work in it" and not everyone can simply right click and create one real quick. It also pops my head seeing people support this, what can only be explained as "trial and error for how much money we can squeeze out of as little content as possible" scam. EA and Ubisoft vibes start to set in.

Also... damn you got that legendary exploder? I want that....
Since it's not your money that the person is spending on the head, why on earth does it bother you? The person who pays L$5000 must think it's worth the money, and that's what matters here.

Free

I am your polar opposite opposite
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Bartholomew Gallacher

Since it's not your money that the person is spending on the head, why on earth does it bother you? The person who pays L$5000 must think it's worth the money, and that's what matters here.
Niran is claiming to have some serious... issues, which makes him/her tick a little bit different than your average John Doe. Which those issues are, is quite obvious when scanning his blog for it.

Seawitch

How common is switching between heads/bodies? 99% of the time I'm in my Maitreya body and LeLutka head, so I feel like I've got my money's worth out of them. This is content I use a lot, compared to a 300L dress that I might wear once then forget I ever owned. Remember when skins were the big purchase? And we bought a lot of skins.

I build stuff but I also buy a lot of things, because other people make something better than I would, or because I can't be bothered investing the time, or because I just like the wearable art they've made.
I remember paying 8,000 L for a skin! I saved for 2 months for it ( I have always had an SL budget ). I call it my coffee money, the girls at work probably spend more on coffee then I do on SL . I have never paid 5,000L for a head BUT only because I have not found one I really like . I have 2 AK head now gathering dust , and 3 Genesis lab heads from Gacha.. was lucky and got the Sophie on the second pull.
I have dresses I have bought and not even worn for longer then trying it on.

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
Niran is claiming to have some serious... issues, which makes him/her tick a little bit different than your average John Doe. Which those issues are, is quite obvious when scanning his blog for it.
Maybe so, but I'd sooner bathe my eyes in bleach than take the time to suss that out...

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
It's weird. In 2010 I took pride in barely spending $20, $25 dollars in SL.
Suddenly, last year, I found myself spending upwards of $200 -for regions on different grids, hosting, etc etc.
I've taken a weed whacker to that mostly because 90% of it was a waste. I'm still paying a lot more than I did in 2010 but I'm getting more too (my own server, a giant region, stakes in a couple of communites, etc)

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
Received a IM from some idiot telling me my SL partner was cheating with some other girl.
SL partner is my RL hubbie, who was seriously ill in hospital awaiting a triple bypass.
I wasn't sleeping too well between work & hospital each day, so I was enjoying dressing him up in a red union suit & putting him on our porch in a rocking chair, while looking for a banjo for him to play.

ETA I've been a racoon skunk since I got the avi in my profile pic; suits me fine, AO moves well and is sufficiently low resource to run around all day long without terrible lag - y'all just jelly babies to me now.

Last edited:

Ailsa Muliaina

I suspect the no-mod inefficient mesh heads, bodies and clothes are here to stay, whatever anyone thinks about them. These products tap into fairly toxic RL beauty ideals, which isn't a surprise given how lucrative that RL market is. Creators who mine those insecurities in SL will sell stuff, however laggy it is.

Unless LL intervenes and limits complexity at the creator upload stage, including the texturing, I think we've got a way to go before we reach peak "beauty" in SL. To think, we once complained about bling, invisiprims, full bright and facelights :D

I really recommend de-rendering avis over a certain complexity and just let them lag each other instead. I set my viewers at 20k and all I see is their names. I'm hoping it helps my PC last a bit longer if it's not trying to render that content all the time.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I’m still using either a Classic avatar or a v2 Petite most of the time. My old netbook is slow and mesh avatars come in at first in pieces, with naked body parts at odd angles and possibly no head. I find this *hilarious* and using jelly dolls would mean missing the fun.

I used to use Radegast quite a lot and still have an avatar in a system sweater and jeans for that purpose. It’s a good skin and well made clothing and I don’t feel weird wearing it.

I did get a discount mesh head and a freebie body for my malt, then hid the neck seam under a turtleneck. He looks so much like a certain RL model I think the guy deserves royalties.

I really wish we would hear the POP sound of pulling off a plastic Barbie doll head when we take the head off a mesh avie. *POP*!!!

Sid

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm looking for a mesh avatar. And then I came to the Adam (and Eve) store. There was a link to that YouTube video, meant as sort of instruction..... I watched it.... And I knew instantly... this is not for me. All those hud (sections) buttons..... meh....

<----------------- The mesh Jonathan avatar is easy, but there seems to be only one (terrible) AO for fat people.

I found a few nice clothes that fit my classic avatar reasonable well, while on the search for a mesh body.
I'll stick to that for now, I think.

Honestly this makes my head explode:

Last edited:

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I'm looking for a mesh avatar. And then I came to the Adam (and Eve) store. There was a link to that YouTube video, meant as sort of instruction..... I watched it.... And I knew instantly... this is not for me. All those hud (sections) buttons..... meh....

<----------------- The mesh Jonathan avatar is easy, but there seems to be only one (terrible) AO for fat people.

I found a few nice cloths that fit my classic avatar reasonable well, while on the search for a mesh body.
I'll stick to that for now, I think.

Honestly this makes my head explode:

All this high tech and we’re even further from individuality. I’d really like a middle aged fat avatar that resembles me, but to do it properly in mesh I’d have to have it commissioned. I think this is why I like my Petite, there’s no doubt I’m not a fairy with green wings :)