Happy 30th Anniversary, World Wide Web!

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I was a relative late-comer to the World Wide Web, not having a computer capable of running a graphical browser until around 1998. I had an Amiga with Workbench 2.05, and the graphical browsers available for the Amiga required Workbench 3.1. But I hit up the Aminet site a lot with ALynx, a text browser for the Amiga.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Not strictly internet but: anyone else have a dot matrix printer in the 90s? Infinite paper in sixteen colours!

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Not strictly internet but: anyone else have a dot matrix printer in the 90s? Infinite paper in sixteen colours!
I had a daisy wheel printer in the 80's -- infinite paper in one color!
Had both, but not at home. I had them in the workplace. I remember lining up the little circles (and the times the paper would go off them going awry), changing the toner on some of them and it could be a messy situation if you weren't careful.

My first printer at home was a liquid inkjet. You'd get the printer cheap, but the ink sure wasn't. You could pick up the printer for under $100, but end up paying $30 per ink cartridge, and when it went full color you needed both. I later had an HP photo printer that actually required 3 different cartridges, black, color and photo. Phew.

• 1Winner
Reactions: EmpressOfCommunism

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I had one in the 80's that printed in glorious black (or whatever color typewriter ribbon I fed it). In 1993, I upgraded to a laser printer.

• 1Rainbow 🌈
Reactions: EmpressOfCommunism

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Oh, God, I remember RealPlayer! That was my first MP3 player for a while until I got smart and better options came along.
LOL - RealPlayer practically tried to take over your computer unless you unchecked like everything during install.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
ImageWriter II in the late 80s with a 9-pin head and colour ribbon. It was attached to an Apple IIe with dual disk drives and a Hayes 300 baud modem. Did loads of work on that machine.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
LOL - RealPlayer practically tried to take over your computer unless you unchecked like everything during install.
For 10 bonus points and a chance to advance to the next round, who was the Chief Technology Officer of RealPlayer?

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
Well, doggone it, you won't be going on to the bonus round, but you do get this lovely parting gift of a Wikipedia entry:
*connects the dots* OMG FREE IS A INTERNET VIDEO CONFERENCING PRODUCT THAT GAINED SENTIANCE!!!!!!

JUST CHANGE THE V INTO AN X!!!!!!

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I had one in the 80's that printed in glorious black (or whatever color typewriter ribbon I fed it). In 1993, I upgraded to a laser printer.
These days I print stuff so rarely, that when my Canon printer broke, I didn't replace it. When I do need to print something, I take a USB drive to the library and print it from their copy machine.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I'd been using the state-funded campus networks in high school (MECC & MERRITS) and in 1979 for a speech class, based on what I had been doing (mostly chatting and playing games) that computers would eventually merge computational power, massive amounts of data storage, and high speed networks so that people could play online games, schedule meetings, and send email to each other so they could coordinate activities at a distance.

I wish I had that kind of insight now...

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
So full disclosure - I taught myself web site creation by making Tori Amos and Nine Inch Nails fan sites in 90s. I was going through a phase.

I was especially proud of the flaming N logo that I designed in Caligari Truespace and exported for use on my NIN page. I cringe now but at the time I thought it was cool lol.

That said, VVO and SLU would never have existed without my awkward web phase, so there you go.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I have to thank Tori Amos and NIN for this site?

Hmm. Can I just send them a pie?

• 1Pie
Reactions: Tigar