Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
One theory I have seen is this will go until at least Saturday so donnie has the record of the longest shutdown.

Yes, it is petty. Yes, it is a pointless record. Which is precisely why I do not put it past him.

Another is he does not know how to end it. Given he also took blame for it in advance that sounds right too.

This morning the news is talking about 5.7 billion, not 5. That is not the way to negotiate if you want things to end donnie.

Free

FIGHT FORUM AVATAR OPPRESSION
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Lindalino
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Lindalino
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Sep 30, 2018
I just don't get it. We didn't have a government in Belgium for like 600 days a few years ago, but that doesn't mean they're no longer forced to pay their bills. All public services continued to be paid for, all taxes continued to be collected, ... ... - there just wasn't anyone able to make any new decisions. At worst, people who quit/retired weren't being replaced because noone could sign off on new hires.

Heck, some people would even claim that the country was better run during those two years than during normal times when politicians are in charge.

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I just don't get it. We didn't have a government in Belgium for like 600 days a few years ago, but that doesn't mean they're no longer forced to pay their bills. All public services continued to be paid for, all taxes continued to be collected, ... ... - there just wasn't anyone able to make any new decisions. At worst, people who quit/retired weren't being replaced because noone could sign off on new hires.

Heck, some people would even claim that the country was better run during those two years than during normal times when politicians are in charge.
Welcome to the US government. Here during a shutdown people either have to work for free or go on unpaid leave ..... and both only get paid for all that time after the government reopens.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Sep 19, 2018
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
What you call "Government" is what we call "An Administration." What we call "Government" is what you would call "Civil Service." So we have the opposite situation: the political apparatus is there, but the people who do actual services are out.

The issue comes down to a clause in the US Constitution that requires any spending to be approved by Congress. In the absence of a a budget passed by Congress and signed by the President, agencies can't spend money. And because we hate ourselves, appropriations are annual (instead of biannual despite the fact that Congress sits for two years).

Sid

Only available with a mug of coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, Netherlands
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009

America is a democracy but not a parliamentary democracy like we have in most European countries.
How things work and who decides what, differ a lot.

Jopsy Pendragon

Trump is a traitor - impeach the prince of lies
Sep 20, 2018
Hillcrest, San Diego, CA
Joined SLU
Jan 15 2004
SLU Posts
Oh yeah to the other side of why rich conservatives love the shutdown... Federal "regulators" are almost certainly considered "non-essential" and are probably on unpaid vacations right now. Buys them time to cover up alll sorts of evil stuff..

Khamon

Irish Harper
Sep 23, 2018
Alabama
SL Rez
Joined SLU
America is a democracy but not a parliamentary democracy like we have in most European countries.
How things work and who decides what, differ a lot.
We are governed by a representative republic. One difference is that our elections are regularly scheduled rather than called by the government itself. And while our House and Senate do elect majority leaders, they only wield influence, not constitutional or royal power as a Prime Minister does because we specifically elect a head of state that isn’t a member of Congress.

It's not that we have no government. Our elected officials don't have the authority to form or dissolve a government. Several of our federal offices (services) are closed, due to lack of funding, but Congress is in session, the President is still in office, the federal courts are operating, and the armed forces are in service.

This was posted to our inboxes at the College today: Due to the situation with the IRS shutdown and the difficulties getting the tax transcript required to complete the process, students may have a financial aid application in the system, but we are unable to finish processing due to the freeze. Please be patient with your students in regards to getting books for their classes.

eta clarification

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I think if you took a poll though more people would want the civil service side of the government to be back to work and the president/congress be the one working without pay.

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Lindalino
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Sep 23, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
‘It’s Just Too Much’: A Florida Town Grapples With a Shutdown After a Hurricane

This bit at the end caught my eye:

And just who are the people he "needs" to be hurting?
That is some fairly inaccurate reporting about what happened in Florida this last election; it wasn't an overwhelming sweep for the GOP, however, much like in Georgia, one of the candidates used his current office to interfere to win his new office. I was following the election, especially what was happening here. I'm in one of the most red parts of the state, and the race in my county was freaking close [all the national races]. Gaetz almost lost, and so did the other GOP assholes. As for Nelson? It was a combination of Scott's abuse of power and the fact at least some of us were not terribly happy with some of his votes [though dear gods, why did anyone vote for Scott instead?!].

Sep 23, 2018
Yeah - just wait until people don't get their food stamps next month, and will people get their social security checks? But, I guess since rich people are fairly well insulated from poor neighborhoods they're not worried about the increase in crime that will result from people not being able to access FOOD!

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Yeah - just wait until people don't get their food stamps next month, and will people get their social security checks? But, I guess since rich people are fairly well insulated from poor neighborhoods they're not worried about the increase in crime that will result from people not being able to access FOOD!
I half-caught a news story about extra money being sent to the states to distribute,.I think it was for snap (food stamps) but it could be a different program. The real question was is if donnie has not figured out how to end this by March as contingency plans like that only cover February.

It is hard to know what any of them are thinking. Depending on the cost of living in your area you could have a pretty good job and still be living paycheck-to-paycheck depending on your situation (family? what bills? etc).

Khamon

Irish Harper
Sep 23, 2018
Alabama
SL Rez
Joined SLU
As Kara said, SNAP is covered with emergency funding through February, with no provision after that because it's an annual program requiring an approved budget each year. Social Security and Medicare are perpetual programs that are funded, payroll and all, whether a budget exists or not so they will be unaffected by the shutdown. Congressional payroll and benefits are also perpetual.

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
People are slowly starting to realize what a shutdown means. Really? Well better late than never I suppose. TSA peeps, who have been working without pay, have been calling in sick for awhile now and are starting to quit. As expected, time through airports is creeping up to compensate and precheck lines are closing. There are other things a shutdown does of course but people will notice airline security delays the most. Most do not care if various government agencies they rarely see are all but closed for business unless they have dealings with them. Unlike in past shutdowns the blame is not being spread around as much so it really is in donnie's best interest to start things up soon. It is solely on him though, the Ds are being widely lauded for standing firm.