Government shutdowns

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
...that gets even better due to the fact that the McRib is a fixed part of the McD menu around here. >_>

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I live 20 miles from the Mexican-US border. We used to go shopping in Tijuana every so often.
About the same on the north side of the country. It is strange to me now thinking of canada as another country with an actual border. It used to just be another place with stores and skiing.

Romana

The question for me is, what happens if he declared a state of emergency as he has been implying? Did that mean another shutdown too, or will it just go to court?
He is also taking about building the wall in his own without lawmakers' approval. How would that even work?

Romana

This, I think
I hope that's all.
Otherwise I might be stuck in L.A. (not a bad place to be such in if you have $ to burn, which I don't) because next time I think the airport workers will strike right away.
But what's more outrageous, of course, is that he can contemplate at all doing it again to ask those federal workers who haven't yet recovered from the last one.
I am afraid, however, that this will be his go-to tantrum tactic....

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The question for me is, what happens if he declared a state of emergency as he has been implying? Did that mean another shutdown too, or will it just go to court?
As I understand it, (hazily) if congress doesn't pass a spending bill with enough votes to override a veto, there will be no funds allocated for the government to continue paying people etc. Mitchell and Trump are going insane with power.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
He is also taking about building the wall in his own without lawmakers' approval. How would that even work?
Politically, if he pushes this forward though something like an emergency it will not work out well for him. Which says nothing about if he will do it or not. How it relates to a potential 2nd government shutdown is also completely unknown.

With a normal politician all of this would be predictable. It would be basically a chess game with a dash of poker. With donnie though all bets are off in how he will respond to any given situation.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
As I understand it, (hazily) if congress doesn't pass a spending bill with enough votes to override a veto, there will be no funds allocated for the government to continue paying people etc. Mitchell and Trump are going insane with power.
Congress is a co-equal branch. Unfortunately they can only vote on what the majority leader puts on the docket and turtle is only putting forth stuff donnie will sign. Essentially making them a de facto subordinate branch.

Romana

Politically, if he pushes this forward though something like an emergency it will not work out well for him. Which says nothing about if he will do it or not. How it relates to a potential 2nd government shutdown is also completely unknown.

With a normal politician all of this would be predictable. It would be basically a chess game with a dash of poker. With donnie though all bets are off in how he will respond to any given situation.
Chess--he'd knock over the board and storm off. Without getting very far--he couldn't wrap his mind around chess. Checkers is more his speed.
Poker--the same, except probably the table.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
If Trump declares an emergency, then I think a federal budget will likely be passed fairly quickly, since right now dedicated wall-money is the only declared sticking point in Congress and there doesn't need to be any wall-money in the budget bill at all if Trump goes the emergency route because then he can use existing emergency funds to pay for the wall and military labor to build it.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
If Trump declares an emergency, then I think a federal budget will likely be passed fairly quickly, since right now dedicated wall-money is the only declared sticking point in Congress and there doesn't need to be any wall-money in the budget bill at all if Trump goes the emergency route because then he can use existing emergency funds to pay for the wall and military labor to build it.
Maybe, maybe not. Normal logic would say he has his $$ so he got what he wanted. He does many things out of irrational spite though so I could easily see him doing another shutdown because he would think it would hurt Pelosi somehow.