Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Big goof!

On Monday night, Variety reported that film editors around Los Angeles who had Avid Media Composer software installed were suddenly finding that their Macs were unable to reboot. The publication speculated that malware may have been the cause. On Wednesday, Google disclosed the real cause—a Chrome browser update.

Specifically, it was a new version of Chrome's Keystone updater that caused so many Macs to stop rebooting, according to this Chrome open bug post. When the update was installed on Macs that had disabled a security feature known as system integrity prevention and met several other conditions, a crucial part of the Mac system file was damaged, a Google employee said in the forum.
Funny that Variety is reporting on this?
The reason so many users of the Avid Media Composer program were affected, Mac enterprise blog Mr. Macintosh reported, is that some users of the film-editing software must disable SIP when using third-party graphics cards.

• 1Facepalm
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Pamela and Beebo Brink

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
So was this done intentionally by Google to prove some sort of point? Like why is a fucking browser allowed or needing to update and break some critical OS feature?

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I would assume not intentionally, but their testing environment probably did not have the security feature turned off. The problem I see is that so many programs inst on running on boot. That turns a crash on launching Chrome, which you could probably fix, into a crash on booting, which may require a repair or reinstall of the OS.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
"must disable SIP when using third-party graphics cards."

Oh, Apple, you so crazy.