Google Acknowledges Controversial Change To Desktop Design

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

I was taken aback when i first saw it - i thought I perhaps had some type of adware or something that was overlaying the search results. Definitely not a fan of the change. I'll get used to it like anything, but it is a step backwards design wise.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
>> Google Acknowledges

Like a virtual nod?

I switched to Duckduckgo years ago, the search results are just as good, if not better. There's an option to search Google from inside Duckduckgo with one of their bangs if you really miss it. I'm amazed that anyone sees a site littered with ads like that in 2020, but I guess it's like everything Google does - as long as users put up with their crap and keep giving them data/ad revenue, they won't do better.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Why do software developers think "one size fits all" is the right answer for everyone? Google could easily provide multiple search results formats with a settings option. They used to have such things with their email service (and may still do, I get my email from Thunderbird and rarely visit the actual gmail page). Make users happy and give us a choice.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I switched to Duckduckgo years ago, the search results are just as good, if not better. There's an option to search Google from inside Duckduckgo with one of their bangs if you really miss it. I'm amazed that anyone sees a site littered with ads like that in 2020, but I guess it's like everything Google does - as long as users put up with their crap and keep giving them data/ad revenue, they won't do better.
I switched to duckduckgo after google fuxxored with their image search (I'm a fiend for memes) and haven't looked back.

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
My latest frustration with Google has been them screwing up the YouTube home page. After a fair amount of searching I figured out how to get it back into the original format, more or less. Hoping they don't realize what I've done and hit me with another round of "we know best".

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Thanks for the nudge. I've installed DuckDuckGo this morning. Google gets worse every year in terms of intrusive commercialization and targeted results. Enough.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Google ran into overfitting problems log ago... when I for example google for "Linux audio card" I really really don't want to see another one of those Linus Tech Tipps infomercials...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ashiri