Ghost Hunters' Greatest Fear

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I’m kind of skeptical. Old houses often have rodents in the walls, rotting wood and drafts, and wooden framed houses can make a lot of noises as weather changes. There are plenty of people with mild undiagnosed schizophrenia. And going into houses that should be condemned can’t be safe.

People seem to meet what they expect, too - Pagans meet advice-giving ancestors, Christians meet demons and skeptics meet electromagnetic fields. This can mean the receiver is more important than any sender.

I’m still a Pagan who has reverence for the ancestors, and these frightened, aggressive Christian approaches to the paranormal strike me as disrespectful and unnecessary. Basically, you can’t meet an entity your culture doesn’t have a description for. I worry that exorcisms can be abuse of children by adults.

RealVioletWitch

Randomly Awkward
SL Rez
We're really 'on the fence' when it comes to hauntings and ghost stuff. Like, we used to be 100% sure our house was haunted? We've seen stuff, had experiences here that we can't explain. Then like almost 2 years ago we finally got diagnosed with a kinda serious mental 'disorder' and thought like, yeah, that kinda explains most of the wierd stuff? Or at least, it was a thing we could say well its less likely to be ghosts and more likely to be just our brain being wierd lol.

Mentioned this to our best friend and she was like, "yeah nope i've lived in that house and it's f----ing haunted. :LOL:" And we've had other people tell us that too, like people get wierd vibes here and stuff, so its not just us. Its also on like a 'haunted walking tour' or something, so every now and then some guy shows up on our front porch and tells a crowd ghost stories about the place lol.

We've only had two real scares here tho that I can remember, in like almost 18 years?. Like 99% of it's just been like "huh, thats weird" and just carry on. So we agree with the article on that point - living people are way scarier than dead ones. :)

Definitely agree with Brenda too, like people see what they're looking for or what they expect or whatever. We're mostly pagan as well and kinda believe in some spirituality stuff, but don't really believe in like xtian demons and whatever. So no surprise we don't feel like there's anything 'evil' floating around here.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
It seems to me that, if ghosts exist and we and they are capable of being aware of each other's existence and movements, and especially if they're capable of affecting the physical world we inhabit then, by definition, they're subject to the same laws of physics as anything else.

If a ghost is visible to the naked eye, that has to mean that the ghost is either reflecting or emitting light, which is triggering electrochemical reactions in the observers' retinas, which in turn trigger a whole series of cascading electrochemical reactions in the observers' brains, as they process what they see.

Similarly, if a ghost can be heard, then that means it's causing molecules in the air to vibrate so the observers' eardrums or their recording equipment is affected.

This means that the ghost, simply by existing in the same world as does the observer, at least to the extent the observer can perceive it, is a physical object in the world, subject to the same laws of physics as everything else we can perceive.

This may well be the case, but it puts ghosts, should they exist, in the same category as any other rare and hitherto imperfectly observed and documented natural phenomenon.

If then I apply Occam's razor to reports of ghosts, and ask myself whether the details of any particular supposed ghost sighting can be explained with reference to what we already know about the world (including the fact that people frequently misinterpret patterns, seeing faces in clouds or slices of toast and tacos and suchlike, and that sometimes people even misreport, consciously or unconsciously, what they've seen, for whatever reason), I see little need to have recourse to ghosts as an explanation for anything.

ETA: By (a spooky?) coincidence, I came across this in my emails:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Tigger and Brenda Archer

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
What I thought was interesting about the article was that their biggest fear has to do with what they encounter from the living, and the hazards of the environments they go into, not anything supernatural.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I would be most worried about squatters, drug users, and realizing that my entire life was built on a lie.

And since it is nearly Halloween,

• 1Thanks

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
What I thought was interesting about the article was that their biggest fear has to do with what they encounter from the living, and the hazards of the environments they go into, not anything supernatural.
There is nothing supernatural and who would better know that than a "ghost hunter".

The only things they have to fear are the reactions of their clients, or their clients families on finding out that ghost hunters have been hired or, as the article itself states, people who set out to disprove their bullshit.

• 1Like

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I thought it would have been "getting cancelled."

I lost interest in Ghost Hunters when it was mostly the back of Jason's head.
WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE? *camera man keeps camera locked on the back of Jason's head or left ear*

Ghost Adventures got more tolerable once they grew out of the DUDEBRO thing. But it makes much ado about nothing and misuse of the word "Debunk." WE DEBUNKED (that obvious moth) AS NOT BEING A MOTH. *me facepalms*

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
There is nothing supernatural and who would better know that than a "ghost hunter".

The only things they have to fear are the reactions of their clients, or their clients families on finding out that ghost hunters have been hired or, as the article itself states, people who set out to disprove their bullshit.
I dunno.

If I were so concerned about inexplicable sights, sounds or phenomena at my home, or my family were, that I'd brought in a ghost-hunter to investigate, I'd be rather relieved to learn it was only faulty wiring, or the central heating boiler needing maintenance, or a baddie in a ghost costume who was eventually led away complaining that he would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids, or whatever.

Last edited:

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
My greatest fear?

Being forced to watch Ghost Hunters.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Cristiano