'Game of Thrones' Author George R.R. Martin Says New Book Will Be "Very Complex"

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
'Game of Thrones' Author George R.R. Martin Says New Book Will Be "Very Complex"

“Going to set is a lot of fun but there’s nothing for me to do there, so I thought I better stay home and not go to Croatia; or Spain; or Belfast, Ireland,” he explained. “I still have two books to write.”

So how's it going? "I'm working on [The Winds of Winter], and I wish I'd been done four years ago, but I'm slow and the book is very complex, although there are a lot of great distractions out there" — including HBO's Emmy afterparty, which feted Game of Thrones' drama series win. Martin, 70, whose Fire and Bloodprequel drops Nov. 20, was spotted partying well past midnight.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
'Game of Thrones' Author Unveils New Book Excerpt With Final Season Implications

Fans wishing for a return to Westeros sooner rather than later need to look no further than Martin's own website, where the author has published an excerpt from Fire and Blood. It focuses on Alysanne Targaryen, wife and sister to the fourth Targaryen king, Jaehaerys I, and chronicles her first trip to the North more than half a century after Aegon the Conqueror seized control over Westeros and forged the Seven Kingdoms.

A FIRE & BLOOD Excerpt just for YOU! | Not a Blog

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Isabeau

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I find his writing to be obtuse, not complex.
I entirely agree. I think Martin is a good short story writer and a good editor of compilations. But left to his own devices as an author and clearly without an editor he's obtuse and long-winded. And I say this as someone who enjoys Tolstoy and Dostoevsky.

GradyE

I think he is more of a "big picture" kind of guy. :shiftyeyes:

Arilynn

I stopped reading the GoT books when I was ready to kill someone and roast them on a spit if I had to slog through one more description of food. ZOMG, the man’s obsessed. I also found nearly every Daenerys chapter to be so dull that I just skimmed them. The guy needs an editor who can stand up to him, which I assume is never going to happen. In the meantime, I will stick to the tv show.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristiano

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Sorry, you are all wrong. Books > TV Show.

The only thing you were right about is the Daeny chapters. I really don't like her much in the books (but I don't think you're supposed to).

I still doubt we'll ever see the new book published. Hope I'm wrong.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Arilynn

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
Made me think of an old Steve Martin routine, "The Apple Pie Hubbub is a significant novel because it was when I first started using verbs." =^-^=

Halo Minoptra

Not shown in actual size
I don't remember how many of the GoT books I got through, but I stopped when I realized (1) there was AN ENTIRE WORLD chock-full of uninteresting stuff, and (2) I didn't care about any of the characters except Arya.

They started out all right, and threw a lot of light on the show, but then it just got to be The Hobbit, with lots of blood added. And The Hobbit is just Wind In The Willows with humans added. And Wind In the Willows is just Peter Rabbit without the good parts.

And that's why I couldn't go on with the GoT books.

• 1Agree
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Tigar and Khamon

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I have most of them on my Kindle which was my aunt's. I mostly use them for reference when I'm curious about a character. Perhaps I'll start reading for reals on a long trip or something. So much catching up to do intimidates me, lol.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
It's not that he kills off so many characters, it's that having the slightest sense of decency or humor or other characteristic that doesn't make me want them to die of burnination is a near-certain sign that Martin is going to kill them horribly for some horrid terrible not very good person's benefit.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
I've believed that because GRRM is a tabletop gamer...that GoT is based a fantasy gaming campaign world he never got around to playing/using because he became so obsessed with creating NPC's, kingdoms and background shit. And that the reason the nice people die so much.....is because he was a "Killer DM". And that the books are doorstoppers, because he made up tons of unused background shit for his campaign and wants to use it!

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Just posting.

• 2Like
Reactions: Arilynn and Eunoli