Following People on Multiple Platforms

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Social media is not my forte. So I've followed people across multiple platforms thinking that:
  • various platforms best serve specific types of posts, or specific audiences, or both; and that
  • people use the various platforms to relay differing types of information, or reach specific audiences, or both.
A few people do that. But most, I believe, post everything to one platform and then have those posts automatically propagate across their accounts to everybody that follows them everywhere. So now I'm curating who I follow where but not really why beyond, well, I don't know why.

That's the history. My question is, do you all use multiple social media platforms and, if so, do you parse that usage in any way, or do you use it all as one giant space that replicates everything you post to everybody everywhere? Please remember to react prolifically to Free's posts in this thread.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I post here. I post to facebook among people I actually know. I post to reddit to people I don't know. They are all completely separate. Not even my best friend knows my other identities. She only knows me on facebook.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Pr1m and Khamon

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Perhaps I should just do that. Pick a platform per person and not try to group people or posts into categories. Picking a platform is not an option because there are people who post to only one, or post any given type of information to only one. Doh that blows my initial idea. Everything works until people.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I'm not tech-savvy enough to do the propagation across platforms, even if I wanted to, which I don't think I do. I move back and forth across these different outlets using different names, not so much because I deliberately planned to keep them separate but because I've created those accounts at wildly different times and for different reasons, and I used handy names or made them up on the spot just to get in, and then I was stuck with that choice.

I post here as Beebo; I use my FL name on Facebook, which includes a small group of SL friends; I post on Democratic Underground and Twitter with a user name that isn't generally known, although somehow a few SLUers figured it out due to some intrusive connection algorithm; and I post on /reddit with a variation of my DU/Twitter handle and it wouldn't be difficult for anyone who knows me from VVO to figure out who I am, which is fine.

Years ago I used to be much more paranoid about overlapping my various personas, but now I can't even remember why that mattered so much. If I was "outed" in one place or another, there really wouldn't be much fallout. Some people slip and call me Beeb or Beebo on Facebook, which probably puzzles my FL friends. Anyone from here reading my DU posts would just roll their eyes because they've heard my rants before and they're worded pretty much the same. My only real concern is that I don't break my employer's social media policy, so I'm careful not to get too raw on Facebook when discussing politics.

Once I retire, my last fuck will expire.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
For Millenials, use Discord
For GenX use Skype.
For Boomers use AOL.
Oh puhleese. I'm 61 but never used AOL. Bulletin Board software though. Skype bleh. Discord, also bleh to their UI but I've read there's some hot VVO stuff on it.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I have overlaps and nonoverlap in people I am connected to on different social networks. Generally if I have said something in one place I do not assume people on other networks will know it, maybe they do and maybe they do not.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
For GenX use Skype.
For Boomers use AOL.
Never knew I was a Millennial Gen Xer. ;)
I tend to keep most my social media compartmentalised. I do count game forums as social media and PRS discussions are forbidden on those.
Also, I nuked my facebook and twitter accounts.

I work on the basis that someone could link all my social media and game identities if the could be bothered

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
For GenX use Skype.
For Boomers use AOL.
Yike! Skype is bad enough (I get dragged into it for work but it does not touch computers I paid for with my own money) but AOL?

I just looked and AOL's home page is still being maintained .... why oh why? I worked there for a few months and found out their entire strategy is based around making it hard for people to leave. Surely nobody has actually signed up permanently for a long time, right? Oh, and for anyone who used AOL chat, you know how it acted strange? Like you might see different people online than someone you are talking to? Yeah, that is because users hook to 2 different users connect to different servers which, well, lets just say they do not talk to each other well.

The corporate culture is very much a "do as we say not as makes sense" culture. For example, one person never replied to my emails so I got up and walked over to his desk ... and found out he had not replied on purpose (to make me look bad I guess) and had not thought someone would actually walk over to where he was. Another time a coworker called me 'it' to our boss (from what I could tell, another transwoman, insecure trans ppl do that sometimes to make themselves feel better). That boss also called me on something once and I explained the problem was from someone else, his answer was he knew that but since I was there I was the one he was yelling at. He also had me do a task (manually compare two files) and did not like it when I suggested using diff. I was SO happy when I finally just quit that job!

When they were doing those free trial CDs (yes, they hang wall-art of them around their campus) I had another encounter with them. I signed up because I was going on a trip and only able to reach my ISP via a long distance call. When I got back one of my first things was to cancel it and, yes, it was a royal pain. First the number it advertised to call did not work (it was a full mailbox). Then I finally found a number buried on their website and went through the call from hell convincing some underpaid flunky I really really really really really really really really really really really did want to cancel.

The entire tech community around DC has a low opinion of them. When there are networking things in their area between various big industries the meeting gets 'unexpectedly' changed at the last minute and everyone forgets to tell AOL the new details.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I have waaaay too much social media going on. Facebook, Twitter, instagram, Discord, Reddit. I also have different accounts on various social networks around different themes, some more neglected than others. Like Virtual Worlds, Technology, Politics, Personal Life, Video Game stuff, etc.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I post here with my SL name. On FB, I use my RL name, and have some SL/SLU/VVO friends on there. I do a lot of political posts on FB, but I also use it to stay connected to RL family and friends. They're just used to my political posts and semi-activism. I would actually delete my FB account, but a lot of my friends and family use that as their primary tool for inviting people to events, etc.

On Twitter, I think I follow a couple of people from VVO. And my Twitter ID is closer to my RL name than my SL name. I also follow maybe one or two people I know in RL. But I mainly use Twitter for news and political posts. I joined Twitter in 2016 solely to be more involved in "The Resistance", so it's not really for socializing, per se. It's more to learn, share information and stay on top of what's going on in the political world.

I have an instagram account I don't use. And I have a Discord account, but I need to actually spend time on it and learn the platform, I guess.

That's about it for me. I'm not that big on social media. It has it's purpose, but too much is chaotic for me. So I limit which platforms I actively use.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Khamon

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
people generally have one main platform they use and it's usually the one popular at the time... it's shocking the amount of people that still use AOL to this day

Depends on the group. (OMG, 13 different discord groups now, SL, WoW, EVE)
those are rookie numbers.... last count i have atleast 40 discords... most are gaming...

Facebook is my go to for friends and family rare a day goes by

i have 2 Twitters is mostly to sign up for give aways and read funny tweets the other is professional and just for looks.. i hardly use it....i hop on reddit every once in a while to find sales, coupons and discounts...mildly interesting things that may pop up on my phone on the bus ride home.

rarely use instagram or snapchat but i have them.

i'm still paranoid and constantly googling myself every 3 months to keep RL and online persona split