"Florida Man" is still at it

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Florida is the kind of place where you might actually see a dinosaur running through your backyard at 3 in the morning. Either that or a Komodo Dragon, which is what my money is on. We get giant cranes and they run nothing like the big lizard that's in this video. My guess would be that someone was keeping a Komodo Dragon around here as a pet and it broke loose!

We have had a variety of stuff break out from private homes and even zoos, from monkeys to various exotic snakes. Who even knows what is really festering in the everglades at this point. :cthulhu:
That was someone's dog or a fox. It looked nothing like a komodo.

• 1OMG!
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Rose Karuna

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Florida is the kind of place where you might actually see a dinosaur running through your backyard at 3 in the morning. Either that or a Komodo Dragon, which is what my money is on. We get giant cranes and they run nothing like the big lizard that's in this video. My guess would be that someone was keeping a Komodo Dragon around here as a pet and it broke loose!

We have had a variety of stuff break out from private homes and even zoos, from monkeys to various exotic snakes. Who even knows what is really festering in the everglades at this point. :cthulhu:
The neighbot behind us has dinosaurs [because birds are] and it used to fascinate my siamese if he managed to get outside.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Lexxi

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
That was someone's dog or a fox. It looked nothing like a komodo.
That was my first thought, too. The video is too dark and grainy, and the creature moves too quickly, but to me it definitely looked like a fox. Or maybe a coyote. Do they have coyotes in Florida?

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
That was my first thought, too. The video is too dark and grainy, and the creature moves too quickly, but to me it definitely looked like a fox. Or maybe a coyote. Do they have coyotes in Florida?
Yes coyotes are all over the place here, one of the reasons that my cats are only indoor kitties only. Just in my neighborhood alone I've seen bears, deer, wild pigs, coyotes, bob cats, armadillos, raccoons, possum, various snakes, wild turkeys, large cranes, vultures, red tail hawks, owls and there is even an eagle. While I've have never seen an alligator near my house, I understand from my neighbors that they do wander up the creek behind our houses on occasion. (We are only a few miles from a natural lake).

When we first moved here my husband wanted to take the fence down. Then I saw the bear (who got into my neighbors lanai and made a HUGE mess) and I was like NOPE, not happening. In fact, we're going to rebuild the fence and make sure it's stronger than it was before. We did that and it's saved us a lot of frustration, particularly from the wild pigs who have completely ripped up some of our neighbors yards.

Regarding the video though, the gait is kind of odd for a coyote. It could be a fox or raccoon? Just a really funny gait. It looked like it was almost running on it's two back legs.

Last, regarding that Komodo dragon chasing that lady in WolfEyes post - OMG that would terrify me. :eyepop:😧

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU

Yep. Panhandle. They prefer piney woods to marshes and swamps.

Rose Karuna

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yep. Panhandle. They prefer piney woods to marshes and swamps.
Coyotes are pretty much all over Florida now. We even ran across them while walking in our neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale when I lived there. I'm in central Florida now and we see them quite frequently, although it makes more sense here because we live in a heavily wooded area.

• 1Like
Reactions: WolfEyes

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Coyotes are pretty much all over Florida now. We even ran across them while walking in our neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale when I lived there. I'm in central Florida now and we see them quite frequently, although it makes more sense here because we live in a heavily wooded area.
I've been in Florida several times. There's patches of piney woods all over. Most of the piney woods are in the panhandle same as most of the piney woods in Texas is in east Texas.

Kind of like how LA is not one huge swamp but there are people out there who believe it is because they never really gave any thought. There's more piney woods than swamp in the state.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
The good news is Hall recently posted to Facebook that he planned on redoing the bus soon anyway. “The 2020 [bus] is getting the wrap all taken off and a new complete wrap installed in 2 weeks,” wrote Hall, “taking TRAITOR PENCE OFF replacing with DESANTIS, Candace Owens Don Junior Laura Trump General Flynn Rand Paul and many others.”
🤢🤮

• 2Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Romana

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Kind of like how LA is not one huge swamp but there are people out there who believe it is because they never really gave any thought. There's more piney woods than swamp in the state.
If you take I-10 through Louisiana you will pretty quickly come to the conclusion that it's an alien swamp planet.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
If you take I-10 through Louisiana you will pretty quickly come to the conclusion that it's an alien swamp planet.
I only lived in the state and travelled all over it for 40 years. Most of I-10 does not run through swamp. Now when you get over towards NO and all that water you have to cross... that is not a swamp. It's the Atchafalaya River Basin. I-10 is mostly flatland with forests of mostly pine now because of all the logging.

This is a swamp. Most of LA does NOT look like this. It looks like the pic above except when you get into the hills around CenLa and then it's mostly national forests of mostly southern pine.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I only lived in the state and travelled all over it for 40 years. Most of I-10 does not run through swamp. Now when you get over towards NO and all that water you have to cross... that is not a swamp. It's the Atchafalaya River Basin.
I didn't say it was a swamp, I said it was like an alien swamp planet. Endless miles of bridge over water full of trees and every overpass showing you another few miles of the same, it looks EXACTLY like a Star Trek matte of an alien swamp planet.

Then when you finally get to Lake Charles and cross the bridge and suddenly you're on the set of Blade Runner. Very confusing state.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
One place I'm sure must be swampy is near Larose. It's about 45 minutes SE of Thibodaux LA.

A man lived there called Doc Millsap and his pretty wife Hannah. They raised up a son that could eat up his weight in groceries. Named him after a man of the cloth. Called him Amos Moses.

Amos Moses was a Cajun. He lived by himself in the swamp. He hunted alligator for a living. He'd just knock them in the head with a stump.

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I've been in Florida several times. There's patches of piney woods all over. Most of the piney woods are in the panhandle same as most of the piney woods in Texas is in east Texas.

Like AZ isn't all desert.

Half of it's mountainy and foresty.

However, people mostly choose to live in the deserty bits. Humans, go figure.

• 1Agree
Reactions: WolfEyes

Rose Karuna

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oh, it burns, the Florida batshit crazy. More on the insanity of politics in Florida ...

After having a few conversations with Braddock, however, Olszewski said she became concerned that he wanted to use her to advance his candidacy and that he left her “threatening” messages about Luna that sounded “unhinged.”

“I really don't want to have to end anybody's life for the good of the people of the United States of America,” Braddock said at one point in the conversation last week, according to the recording exclusively obtained by POLITICO. “That will break my heart. But if it needs to be done, it needs to be done. Luna is a f---ing speed bump in the road. She's a dead squirrel you run over every day when you leave the neighborhood.”

“Don’t be on the f---ing wrong side of supporting Luna because if you're near her when the time comes, I just don't want that to happen to you because you've got kids,” Braddock said on the call. “So don't be associated with Luna under any circumstances. Please. And do not repeat this anybody because both of us will be in jeopardy if you do. I'm not just blowing smoke here. I'm f---ing being dead ass serious and it scares the s--- out of me, too.”