"Florida Man" is still at it

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Florida logic:

“If you’re healthy, I don’t think it’s something you should be terribly worried about,” she said.

Durrr. Because you want to stay healthy?

🙄

Which is why my sister and I were happy that my parents decided to head up to new england rather than stay in florida during this mess.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
This "Florida Man on your birthday" thing is a classic phishing question, looking for personal details for account takeovers. It's unlikely anyone's actually following posts here but it's a good idea to get out of the habit of answering these kinds of questions.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Arkady Arkright and Govi

Arkady Arkright

This "Florida Man on your birthday" thing is a classic phishing question, looking for personal details for account takeovers. It's unlikely anyone's actually following posts here but it's a good idea to get out of the habit of answering these kinds of questions.
"Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

• 1LOL
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Casey Pelous and Sid

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Occasionally, a good one pops up.

:qft: Yes, this SO much! Not just me, but hundreds of other seniors that I know and even some, who voted for Cheeto to begin with and are "man" (or woman) enough now to admit it was a mistake.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
THANK YOU

"News headline on your birthday" is another one I've seen. I know they can be kinda fun or funny, but people really need to stop playing social media games that use your birthday to return or build a result.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
Update: Twitter found him and he's been fired.

You'd think after a few of these incidents people would realize they could lose their jobs over this behavior.
In this guy's case, looks like there might be some 'roid rage in the mix, but still.

• 2LOL
Reactions: Govi and Romana

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Having gone through something like this early in my adulthood, all I can say is that freakout is pure primal emotion and you're lucky to get any sort of control over it.

Yeah you owe a debt, and yeah you should be expecting an embroilment like this to occur. Still, having an object that in your mind you own, cherish to some degree, and rely on for all sorts of reasons like transportation from home to work, shopping, general freedom etc., get towed away under conditions you really have no control over. It hurts.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
THANK YOU

"News headline on your birthday" is another one I've seen. I know they can be kinda fun or funny, but people really need to stop playing social media games that use your birthday to return or build a result.
I'm generally very careful about what kind of information I put out there. But dates of birth are almost public knowledge. Anyone who uses their date of birth as a basis for choosing passwords or security questions needs a good, stern lecture on cybersecurity.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Having gone through something like this early in my adulthood, all I can say is that freakout is pure primal emotion and you're lucky to get any sort of control over it.

Yeah you owe a debt, and yeah you should be expecting an embroilment like this to occur. Still, having an object that in your mind you own, cherish to some degree, and rely on for all sorts of reasons like transportation from home to work, shopping, general freedom etc., get towed away under conditions you really have no control over. It hurts.
:qft:

I've had a car repossessed before. It's not pleasant. I kind of actually feel for that woman breaking down like that. I've been there, and it sucks.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Free

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

I don't look down on "repo men" as a profession; I mean, I don't see them as bad people. But I have objected to the way television has made celebrities out of a select few for basically treating people like dirt during one of the lowest points in those peoples' lives. The shows portray those who get repo'd invariably as deadbeats and grifters who are getting what they deserve and that's not commonly the truth.