Flickr change(s) for free accounts (and evidently Pro accounts too)

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
Last edited:

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Free is never really free.

I mean, except for me! I am always me.

If you aren’t paying for the product, usually you ARE the product.
Someone wiser than I has probably said this in a much better way.

Pati

SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-13-2008
SLU Posts
I understand storage and bandwidth can be expensive, but I'm sad that a lot of things currently hosted there will probably vanish. So many cool libraries on the most diverse topics, like art deco, house plans, architecture, old movie stars, foreign movie posters, and so much more. I love browsing all the interesting albums you can find on Flickr. This blows. And 100 picks? Why not a certain amount of space, like 1GB? Not all images weight the same. One's 1000 images could be someone's else 5.000.

I wish there was a place people could upload and the images would just stay there. Something like the archive.org, but only for images. :cry:

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Where are those terms on the website?

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I understand storage and bandwidth can be expensive, but I'm sad that a lot of things currently hosted there will probably vanish. So many cool libraries on the most diverse topics, like art deco, house plans, architecture, old movie stars, foreign movie posters, and so much more. I love browsing all the interesting albums you can find on Flickr. This blows. And 100 picks? Why not a certain amount of space, like 1GB? Not all images weight the same. One's 1000 images could be someone's else 5.000.

I wish there was a place people could upload and the images would just stay there. Something like the archive.org, but only for images. :cry:
If you have Amazon Prime it includes unlimited photo storage.

Still paid but a lot of people have Amazon Prime.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
WTF flickr? I used to be a paid account there then you made the free accounts more attractive for what I needed.

Last edited:

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Last edited:

Plurabelle Laszlo

SL Rez
Joined SLU
The main problem is, that they announced they will delete the exceeding pictures of free accounts, starting in three months from now. Not make them invisible or recoverable, but delete them forever. This will include accounts of people who lost access to their sign-up emails, the accounts of deceased people who might have stored their family photos, or the accounts of people who went inactive for a while and didnt pay attention to the announcements - and who might come back and find their pictures gone forever. They are going to downsize free accounts from 1 TB to 1000 pictures... 1 TB was probably a stupid business model, because it made going pro useless for a lot of people. But on the other hand it encouraged people to upload everything, which made flickr very attractive for research and increased the userbase and the number of views for pro-accounts and free accounts alike. If all those pictures vanish, a lot of linked content of blogs and websites will break.

1000 pictures is not that much, not even for amateur photographers. Nor for me and many other SL-photographers, bloggers and designers. Especially when accounts are affected that are more than a decade old. In my case it means that I am supposed to pay 50 dollars per year for less than 1 GB storage - or delete one third of my pictures.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The main problem is, that they announced they will delete the exceeding pictures of free accounts, starting in three months from now. Not make them invisible or recoverable, but delete them forever. This will include accounts of people who lost access to their sign-up emails, the accounts of deceased people who might have stored their family photos, or the accounts of people who went inactive for a while and didnt pay attention to the announcements - and who might come back and find their pictures gone forever. They are going to downsize free accounts from 1 TB to 1000 pictures... 1 TB was probably a stupid business model, because it made going pro useless for a lot of people. But on the other hand it encouraged people to upload everything, which made flickr very attractive for research and increased the userbase and the number of views for pro-accounts and free accounts alike. If all those pictures vanish, a lot of linked content of blogs and websites will break.

1000 pictures is not that much, not even for amateur photographers. Nor for me and many other SL-photographers, bloggers and designers. Especially when accounts are affected that are more than a decade old. In my case it means that I am supposed to pay 50 dollars per year for less than 1 GB storage - or delete one third of my pictures.
After the Photobucket fiasco, which broke so much valuable older content on blogs and forums, I’m surprised people trust their important photos to a changeable service without backing them up in at least one other place and trust a freebie hosting place at all when there’s no control over things? I’d screenshot the photos I wanted to keep if I had lost account access/family photos/important pix etc. I have one paid account there and I still keep backups.
Trust no website. :deadhorse:

If you have Amazon Prime it includes unlimited photo storage.

Still paid but a lot of people have Amazon Prime.
Before I rely on this, I’d read up on what happens to the storage if I someday decide to stop using Prime.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Nika Talaj

What? Maybe.
I actually do it the other way around: I use Prime to back up my local pic storage.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
1000, that's not bad because in 2007, when I joined flickr, free users only got to show 200 in their photostream. IIRC, they could upload more, but recent uploads would replace older ones in the Photostream once they reached 200. The account owner could still see them all, of course, and IIRC they could choose which ones to display instead of relying on Flickr's FIFO.

I've been Flickr Pro since 2007, it was Alaska Metropolitan that gave me the heads up for flickr and how good a deal Pro was. I've been grandfathered under the original Pro-rate for years.

• 2Like
Reactions: eku zhong and GradyE

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
WTF flickr? I used to be a paid account there then you made the free accounts more attractive for what I needed.
It's quite simple: Flickr doesn't belong to Yahoo! any longer, it was bought by SmugMug. And contrary to Yahoo the new owners want to earn real money with it again, but not to rely on ads, which have become nowadays a very unsteady source of income due to the rise of adblockers.

Personally I don't care; I've got a dedicated root server running since years with vast amounts of storage, if needed. I would just install Piwigo on it, and will be ready to go.

GradyE

srsly, I have a long standing pro account and about 2000 followers on Flickr. Judging by the number of Insta signups my followers are posting on Flickr I am guessing I am going to lose somewhere between 30-50% of them.:mad:

Seven

SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-15-2010
1000, that's not bad because in 2007, when I joined flickr, free users only got to show 200 in their photostream. IIRC, they could upload more, but recent uploads would replace older ones in the Photostream once they reached 200. The account owner could still see them all, of course, and IIRC they could choose which ones to display instead of relying on Flickr's FIFO.

I've been Flickr Pro since 2007, it was Alaska Metropolitan that gave me the heads up for flickr and how good a deal Pro was. I've been grandfathered under the original Pro-rate for years.
Hmm I thought I heard they were going to start charging all accounts the same prices, regardless of them being grandfathered. Can anyone confirm?

That would be such a slap in the face for all those grandfathered accounts that supported them for all those years if true.

Seven

SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-15-2010
I'm kinda weird in that I've had an account on Flickr since 2008 and I only have around 400 photos. I used to post a quiet often in the beginning but I really slowed down after that. I guess it's just my store stuff and the occasional random thing. I doubt I'll hit the limit any time soon, and premium never appealed to me.

I'm mostly upset about what this change will do to other peoples streams. It's super fascinating looking at old SL pictures on there, some people's streams are like a visual story of their SL experience for nearly a decade. It's a shame that so much of that will be lost.

I wish there was a good alternative, I don't think Instagram is the right format for SL bloggers and photographers.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I'm kinda weird in that I've had an account on Flickr since 2008 and I only have around 400 photos. I used to post a quiet often in the beginning but I really slowed down after that. I guess it's just my store stuff and the occasional random thing. I doubt I'll hit the limit any time soon, and premium never appealed to me.

I'm mostly upset about what this change will do to other peoples streams. It's super fascinating looking at old SL pictures on there, some people's streams are like a visual story of their SL experience for nearly a decade. It's a shame that so much of that will be lost.
Well beggars can't be choosers, right? And if you are not paying for it, it only means that you are the product .

It's always the same: people are cheap, they do fell for such services without a charge and wake up with a headache, when it either gets cancelled or goes freemium instead.

I guess most are going to choose Instagram or Facebook as replacement, falling into the same trap again.