Flickr change(s) for free accounts (and evidently Pro accounts too)

Sep 25, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-13-2008
SLU Posts
If you have Amazon Prime it includes unlimited photo storage.

Still paid but a lot of people have Amazon Prime.
In my case I don't need storage but a place to post my -expanding- collection of brazilian vintage ads for others to find. I'm not curating this collection for my own, but rather to preserve a bit of history for others to enjoy. Flickr was perfect since people did find it using tags. Not everything is lost since I have been posting the collection on Tumblr, even if the user base there is not ideal. Had it on Google+, but we all know what will happen there... Will probably start re-posting to Twitter and even (cringe) Pinterest.

This will include accounts of people who lost access to their sign-up emails, the accounts of deceased people who might have stored their family photos, or the accounts of people who went inactive for a while and didnt pay attention to the announcements - and who might come back and find their pictures gone forever.
Yes, this is terrible. I feel like downloading all my flickr favs because I have to idea what will happen to so many accounts. :(

Last edited:

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
Sep 20, 2018
Illinois
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
In my case I don't need storage but a place to post my -expanding- collection of brazilian vintage ads for others to find. I'm not curating this collection for my own, but rather to preserve a bit of history for others to enjoy. Flickr was perfect since people did find it using tags. Not everything is lost since I have been posting the collection on Tumblr, even if the user base there is not ideal. Had it on Google+, but we all know what will happen there... Will probably start re-posting to Twitter and even (cringe) Pinterest.
For something like that I think Archive.org may have a system that would let you post them for free.

Evola

Oct 19, 2018
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Archive.org is amazing and you should be able to post them there, all free(though they do take donations). I'd highly recommend and doesn't have to be the only place they're hosted, likely won't get the same views as flickr but they're the closest you'll get to a permanent archive somewhere. (eta: and more likely to get other people writing/blogging about an extensive collection of them there than they would on twitter or tumblr)

I'm hoping the new Flickr changes don't effectively kill off flickr commons as well, it's been a really useful resource.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-13-2008
SLU Posts
For something like that I think Archive.org may have a system that would let you post them for free.
Archive.org is amazing and you should be able to post them there, all free(though they do take donations).
Thanks guys! I didn't know Archive.org accepted submission like that. I'll look into this. :)

Kizz

Nov 7, 2018
(EDIT: I should have quoted the original post, I didn't originally see that this was 3 pages long already.)

For those who only post screen-resolution photos from their phones, yeah, low-quality Instagram or Facebook will fill those gaps, just like people who think 64kpbs radio stations are listenable.

Last edited: