First a COVID pandemic and now an INSANITY pandemic

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Since lock down began, I have witnessed the US become more and more on edge and crazy. Frankly, batshit crazy.

First we had QAnon and then the insurrection and then all the people that were positively delusional about Trump and the 2021 election (delusional is the only word I can come up with).

Then mask rage, I mean WTF? Wearing a mask is a simple thing, pretty much anyone can do it and it saves lives. So why the craziness over it? Then the craziness of doing something as simple as getting a vaccine to prevent death from a deadly virus. WTF people, WTF.

Now we have the crazy on planes, plenty of that, apparently up 400% since people started flying again. The FAA Has Seen A 'Significantly Higher' Number Of Unruly Passenger Reports In 2021

Not to mention the guy on Delta this week that had to be hog tied by the stews and passengers. Videos shows a man who allegedly tried to hijack a Delta flight being restrained and zip-tied by passengers and flight attendants

Then there are all the mass shootings that have happened, just since January of this year. List of mass shootings in the United States in 2021 - Wikipedia

And today I saw this: NAKED FEMALE ZOMBIE DESTROYS RESTAURANT, GETS TASED BY COP – The Phaser

Normally, I'd put it in the Florida Man thread but good heavens, not today. Today I think that the US collectively, is having a very serious mental health meltdown.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
The whole world has been in a serious mental health breakdown for 100 years.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Only 100? I think as we get more advanced, we just find more weird ways to get everything wrong... But I can think of plenty of examples of mass hysteria that are much more than 100 years old... For example, Isaac Newton was so annoyed with wackos trying to predict the end of the world that he did his own Isaac Newton logic on the bible and computed the world would end no sooner than 2060. He stressed that his goal wasn't to make a prediction, but rather to just shut people up...

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Only 100? I think as we get more advanced, we just find more weird ways to get everything wrong... But I can think of plenty of examples of mass hysteria that are much more than 100 years old... For example, Isaac Newton was so annoyed with wackos trying to predict the end of the world that he did his own Isaac Newton logic on the bible and computed the world would end no sooner than 2060. He stressed that his goal wasn't to make a prediction, but rather to just shut people up...
See also : Jonathan Swift.

• 1Like
Reactions: GoblinCampFollower

Grey Mars

In my living memory America has always had a strong streak of batshit crazy. It just used to be more confined to the undersides of rocks. Now it's fashionable to go full lunatic in the middle of Walmart and let everyone know what the voices in your tv just told you. (Admittedly some of those voices were real and really did actually say the utter bullshit being repeated...) We've embraced the lunacy. It's still the same nut jobs ranting about the Jews starting forest fires with space lasers. Instead of being shunned however, it's currently being celebrated. That then gives us a legion of weak minded idiots nodding along thinking "Well, could be. Seems reasonable enough!"

The nut jobs are not just unmasked, they've added full clown makeup and have a public appearance booked all week long.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
In my living memory America has always had a strong streak of batshit crazy. It just used to be more confined to the undersides of rocks. Now it's fashionable to go full lunatic in the middle of Walmart and let everyone know what the voices in your tv just told you. (Admittedly some of those voices were real and really did actually say the utter bullshit being repeated...) We've embraced the lunacy. It's still the same nut jobs ranting about the Jews starting forest fires with space lasers. Instead of being shunned however, it's currently being celebrated. That then gives us a legion of weak minded idiots nodding along thinking "Well, could be. Seems reasonable enough!"

The nut jobs are not just unmasked, they've added full clown makeup and have a public appearance booked all week long.
Giving people someone to blame has always had its appeal.
One of those Repugnant congress critters (not MTG, but also female) opined that there must be d
some reason why the Jews have always been persecuted. Well yeah, because they were different (Xtian leaders saying the Jews killed Christ didn't help either).
Hence the rise in anti -Asian hate crimes and shootings (even more than usual) as well.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I was being generous.

Who said anything about mass hysteria? That's not what I'm talking about. Hysteria and insanity aren't the same thing.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Hey you know, come to think of it, if the world does end in 2060, chances of me being around to see it are pretty slim to none since I'd have to live to be over 100.

That's some consolation there Woofeyeballs. :unsure:

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Hey you know, come to think of it, if the world does end in 2060, chances of me being around to see it are pretty slim to none since I'd have to live to be over 100.

That's some consolation there Woofeyeballs. :unsure:
And if I live that long, I'll be having someone change my diapers and remind me what my name is.

• 1Hug
Reactions: WolfEyes

Sid

Mostly in lurking mode.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I have to disagree there.
Most parts of Western Europe are doing reasonable well since 1945 mental wise.
Of course there are ups and downs, and there is Bojo the clown in the UK, but compared to what happens in the USA the last years, we are still in pretty good shape here.

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
Relating this to my personal life, I think I've felt more on edge the past 6 months than ever before in my life. At the start of quarantine, I thought "this is great, I don't socialize much anyway". But gradually, a .01 at a time, little things started getting on my nerves. Hubs and I had more minor arguments which blew into major ones. Nothing serious yet, but both of us know how to keep a marriage going since we've had failed marriages. Some days I'm a little surprised one of us hasn't murdered the other in their sleep, but honestly that's more likely to happen to him.

:deadhorse:

We started holding informal bitch sessions every night where we're both free to just let it out. No name calling, and let the other person finish their sentence before you tell them to fuck themselves. :) We have enough respect for each other that it never goes beyond yelling and then not for very long.

Experiencing this, I'm not really surprised at all that people are having more problems coping. Neither of us would murder anyone, but there's no denying the psychological and emotional pressures of the times.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I have to disagree there.
Most parts of Western Europe are doing reasonable well since 1945 mental wise.
Of course there are ups and downs, and there is Bojo the clown in the UK, but compared to what happens in the USA the last years, we are still in pretty good shape here.
Species that deliberately (and yes it is being done deliberately) destroy the only home they have will never be of sound mind. This is precisely what humans are doing and when you start going back into history it all traces back to Europe and the UK. It's a sorry state of things but it's the truth and I know it hurts too badly to be able to accept it. I wish I could do something to relieve the pain but without it, humans will never learn and never survive. We will destroy ourselves if we don't stop with the insane behavior. The problem is, no one thinks it's possible to ditch current society and build a better one that benefits all, not just the elite few. They're wrong. It's been done many, many times throughout history.