Facebook...er, Meta Hatred

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I inactivated my account a while back now, I don’t miss it at all but so many groups or associations or whatever still use it and ask people to go to their FB page for info etc. Really bugs me. I recently made an account just so that I could follow an association I am part of, groan.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I have managed, in my dotage, to become so socially and geographically isolated that canceling my Facebook account would cut my last remaining ties to far-flung friends and family. So I'm locked in this love/hate relationship and no matter how spitting angry I get at Zuckerberg, I'm still using his product. But that dynamic describes the totality of my life in American culture, too. I'm immersed in it, dependent on it, but increasingly alienated by it. Yay me.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I have managed, in my dotage, to become so socially and geographically isolated that canceling my Facebook account would cut my last remaining ties to far-flung friends and family. So I'm locked in this love/hate relationship and no matter how spitting angry I get at Zuckerberg, I'm still using his product. But that dynamic describes the totality of my life in American culture, too. I'm immersed in it, dependent on it, but increasingly alienated by it. Yay me.
My sollution is to check in to wish friends hoppy birddays, check messages maybe once a week, and otherwise ignore it. I know I'll need to use it more if cons ever happen again, but until then...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I inactivated my account a while back now, I don’t miss it at all but so many groups or associations or whatever still use it and ask people to go to their FB page for info etc. Really bugs me. I recently made an account just so that I could follow an association I am part of, groan.
Unfortunately, Wasteland Weekend/End of Days and SCA groups I'm in rely solely on FB.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I have canceled my FB account almost two years ago now.
I don't have the feeling that I did myself harm with that decision.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In a 2012 email six weeks before acquiring Instagram, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg wrote that one of his motivations for the acquisition was to "neutralize a potential competitor." The emails were revealed during today's hearing before the House antitrust committee featuring four technology moguls: Tim Cook, Sundar Pichai, Jeff Bezos, and Zuckerberg. The emails were first reported by the Verge.

Facebook was one of the Internet's biggest social networks in 2012, but its dominant position was not as secure then as it is today. There were a lot of rival social networks, and Zuckerberg worried his company would get caught flat-footed by the shift to smartphones.

• 2Angry
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin and Govi

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I just unfriended yet another person on facebook. How to learn ppl from your hs may or may not have abhorrent views. First was churches should be immune from covid laws, second was celebrating a sports ball player who would not take a knee for civil rights (it was not a national anthem thing even).

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Facebook has blocked the accounts of a dozen allies of President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, BBC News reported. Brazil’s Supreme Court ordered the 12 accounts blocked back in May, as they are under investigation for allegedly spreading false news about judges in the country. A Supreme Court judge said Friday that Facebook had not fully complied with that earlier order.

A Facebook spokesperson said in a statement to The Verge that the company had complied with the order, which it called “extreme” by “restricting the ability for the target Pages and Profiles to be seen from IP locations in Brazil.”

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Facebook can has Strife

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Strife is eternal and immutable. Trust me. We’ve met, twice, ZOMGBBQSHT

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
OMG how would users react to newly won free time if FB crashes...

Those researchers just sound delusional, once the company files bancrupcy the vultures will rise and fill the niches... If it failed due to being unsustainable... Oh well...

• 1Like
Reactions: Free

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I just unfriended yet another person on facebook. How to learn ppl from your hs may or may not have abhorrent views.
I know how this feels. A couple of years ago I was all excited to have found someone on Facebook I used to be friends with way back in 1st grade. I was all excited until I read down their timeline and found straight up Nazi/white supremacy memes, holy crap.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I know how this feels. A couple of years ago I was all excited to have found someone on Facebook I used to be friends with way back in 1st grade. I was all excited until I read down their timeline and found straight up Nazi/white supremacy memes, holy crap.
I would not be surprised if my first grade friend still had strange interests. Like the definition of earth though: 'mostly harmless'.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I found out that my BFF from grade school and HS is well, still surprisingly like me even 35-40 years later. Though I was a little surprised she went politics instead of music.