Facebook Hatred

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I think that can be done in a continent sized state as well as in a post stamp sized one like the Netherlands.
But if it can't because America, so be it.
We don't have the same population density as Europe, as well many other social and economic factors that work against this neighborhood concept of employment. We could definitely do better, but it will have to be with telecommuting and other arrangements, rather than residency requirements.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
There should be a bonus if you live within 5-10 miles from your work IMHO.
AND UNICORNS TO RIDE WHILE BUNNIES BRING ME CUPCAKES!

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Yeah, I know..... cause Murica.

[sarcastic mode]
If it isn't delivered at the doorstep, it will not happen.

Now let's play some golf.
We wasted enough time on this already.
[/sarcastic mode]

• 1Eye Roll
  • 1lolwut?
Reactions: Beebo Brink and Lexxi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

More than half of online grooming offences recorded under a law that made it illegal to send sexual messages to children were committed on Facebook-owned apps, figures reveal.

The data, obtained by the NSPCC under freedom of information laws, show 10,019 offences of sexual communication with a child were recorded since the legislation was introduced in April 2017.

In incidents where the means of communication was provided, more than half were committed on the Facebook-owned apps of Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp

• 1Angry
Reactions: Govi
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Apparently grooming is British for "the action by a pedophile of preparing a child for a meeting, especially via an Internet chat room, with the intention of committing a sexual offense. "

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Apparently grooming is British for "the action by a pedophile of preparing a child for a meeting, especially via an Internet chat room, with the intention of committing a sexual offense. "
There are two offences, meeting a child after sexual grooming (section 15 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003) and section 15A, sexual communication with a child (i.e. sexting), which is sexual communications between a child and an adult.

Properly speaking, only the first, more serious, offence is "grooming," but I suspect the story includes offences under 15A, too.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The virtual walkout comes on the heels of a decision from Facebook not to take any action against a series of controversial posts from Trump last week, including one that seemed to threaten violence against protestors by saying, “when the looting starts, the shooting starts.” Twitter determined that the same message violated its rules against the glorification of violence last week, limiting the ability to view, like, reply, and retweet the post on its platform.

According to the Times, employees took the day off to support protests across the country and are leaving behind automated email messages telling senders that they’re out of the office in protest of the company’s inaction.
EDIT: A followup.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Isabeau

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
We somehow missed that there's an ad boycott going on against Facebook. Hoorah!

Verizon joins ice cream brand Ben & Jerry’s and numerous sports and outdoor lifestyle companies, including The North Face and Patagonia, and film distributor Magnolia Pictures in the boycott. A number of digital ad agencies have also begun advising clients on how to participate and one, i360, has publicly expressed support, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well well, looks like someone found Zuckerberg's vulnerable patch of skin.

Facebook is changing a number of policies relating to hate speech and voter suppression on the platform, the chief executive officer, Mark Zuckerberg, said in a surprise live video on Friday.

The announcements were made in a hurried appearance by the executive on his personal Facebook page shortly after Unilever announced that it was pulling advertisements for the next six months – which sent Facebook stock tumbling more than 7%.

More than 100 brands have joined a boycott of advertising on Facebook due to its failure to address hate speech and violence on the platform – most recently the major advertisers Verizon and Unilever.

Jopsy Pendragon

Without Equal Justice, Freedom becomes Tyranny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I developed a profound allergy to being a moderator/content-cop around the same time that I fell into Second Life. The few places I still have any say however, like here, are so overwhelmingly in support of BLM that I'm glad I don't have to even worry about it. And the few members that might feel otherwise can show themselves out, they won't be missed.

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

bubblesort

Well well, looks like someone found Zuckerberg's vulnerable patch of skin.

OH, that explains it! They've been crazy with their bans lately. I caught a hate speech block this past weekend for this post:

Also over the weekend, a friend got a 3 day ban for this:

This is all after I got a ban for this, something like 3 or 4 months ago:

Without clearly written and evenly enforced guidelines, the only way to know what counts as hate speech on Facebook is to look for patterns here. I don't think even my most diabolilcal frenemies on Facebook would report these things as hate speech. It's too non-sequitur, even for them. This is clearly the work of a bot discovering these posts and sorting them into the hate speech category.

So what's the standard for hate speech on facebook?

It looks to me like their 'hate speech' filter is literally just a bot that looks for [plural noun] are [adjective] and counts that as hate speech. If you avoid that sentence structure, you can probably say all kinds of nazi stuff without getting flagged, but if you use that sentence structure, they will moderate your post as hate speech. It's a stupid rule, but it's clear as day that that's just the way things are.