Facebook Hatred

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I just got 3 days in facebook jail because of an antivaxer. The usual why do ppl insist on things like masks if we have a vax now. I explained no vaccine is 100 percent and we need herd immunity by most ppl getting the shot. I admit i did call them an idiot but that was because they were.

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is testifying before Congress today, and he may have a few more uncomfortable questions to answer. Among them, why is Facebook autogenerating pages for white supremacist groups?

Researchers at the Tech Transparency Project found that Facebook created dozens of pages for groups like the “Universal Aryan Brotherhood Movement” when a user did something as simple as listing it as their employer. Some of the autogenerated pages garnered thousands of likes by the time they were discovered by researchers. TTP also discovered four Facebook groups that had been created by users. The researchers shared their findings with Facebook, which removed most of the pages. Yet, two of the autogenerated pages and all four Facebook groups remained active when the group published its findings.

• 1Facepalm
  • 1WTF??
Reactions: Govi and Aribeth Zelin

Mona Eberhardt

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec. 26, 2012
SLU Posts
Some years ago, Facebook zapped my account for being pseudonymous, and it demanded that I use my RL name. Of course, I was having none of it. I kept using my RL account to manage the FB page I had created for my blog (stupidly, I hadn't given it full admin rights, so I can't rename or delete the page). As for Facebook's content "moderation", I don't care what Mike Masnick (of Techdirt fame) keeps saying about it being the result of incompetence rather than policy (he ignores that policies ARE driven and formed by personal attitudes and prejudices), but when you see open, clear death and rape threats by neo-nazis getting a free pass as "not violating Facebook's community standards" and even the softest criticism against the alt-right (a pathetic euphemism for neo-nazism) getting you a 30-day ban, it's clear to me where Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg stand.

I must also say that a 2018 blog post I'd read elsewhere about how "serious" SL businesses should abandon Flickr and move to Facebook and Instagram ASAP boggled my mind. Nope, I'm not linking to it - I commented there last week, and my comment is still awaiting moderation. In fact, a rebuttal to this is part of a really long post I published yesterday on my blog.

• 1Agree
Reactions: bubblesort

bubblesort

I got an Oculus Quest 2 recently, and I love it, but it is probably going to make me finally quit facebook.

Over the past year, I've been sanctioned for saying "girls are gross", "Sweedes are weird", "Americans are dumb", and posting a meme of the my pillow guy with a hitler moustache that says "Mein Pillow." On top of that, I was hit on March 19 for something that they won't tell me about. The notice in my restriction history just says, "We understand that mistakes happen, so we didn't restrict your account." WTF does that even mean? I didn't make a mistake. They didn't restrict me, but the fact that there's an entry there is troubling. It's more worrying that I get sanctioned during important events. I was sanctioned the day Trump came to give a speech in my area. I was sanctioned on voting day. The most recent sanction was the day after I posted that I got my corona vaccine.

So I have a troll problem. I have no idea who is trolling me or why, but I'm not going to allow a troll to lock me out of my VR headset. The way things stand now, every post I make puts my access to hardware I supposedly own at risk.

Oculus requires a facebook account, but it does not require you to make a certain number of posts, or have a certain number of friends. So what I'm thinking is I will unfriend everybody, then set posts to friends only, and never post again.

• 1WTF??
Reactions: Grandma Bates

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
I got an Oculus Quest 2 recently, and I love it, but it is probably going to make me finally quit facebook.

Over the past year, I've been sanctioned for saying "girls are gross", "Sweedes are weird", "Americans are dumb", and posting a meme of the my pillow guy with a hitler moustache that says "Mein Pillow." On top of that, I was hit on March 19 for something that they won't tell me about. The notice in my restriction history just says, "We understand that mistakes happen, so we didn't restrict your account." WTF does that even mean? I didn't make a mistake. They didn't restrict me, but the fact that there's an entry there is troubling. It's more worrying that I get sanctioned during important events. I was sanctioned the day Trump came to give a speech in my area. I was sanctioned on voting day. The most recent sanction was the day after I posted that I got my corona vaccine.

So I have a troll problem. I have no idea who is trolling me or why, but I'm not going to allow a troll to lock me out of my VR headset. The way things stand now, every post I make puts my access to hardware I supposedly own at risk.

Oculus requires a facebook account, but it does not require you to make a certain number of posts, or have a certain number of friends. So what I'm thinking is I will unfriend everybody, then set posts to friends only, and never post again.

I have reported this post to the site owner and hope you get sanctioned. Do you really think you can just waltz in here talking about the My Pillow guy and a "Mein Pillow" meme without posting the image? Who does that? Are you Swedish or something?

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
This is why I got a Samsung headset.

Samsung doesn't give a shit.

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Just another whoopsie.

Personal data from 533 million Facebook accounts has reportedly leaked online for free, according to security researcher Alon Gal. Insider said it verified several of the leaked records.

“The exposed data includes personal information of over 533 million Facebook users from 106 countries, including over 32 million records on users in the US, 11 million on users in the UK, and 6 million on users in India,” according to Insider. “It includes their phone numbers, Facebook IDs, full names, locations, birthdates, bios, and — in some cases — email addresses.”

If that 533 million number might sound familiar to you, that’s because this information is apparently from the same dataset that people could pay for portions of using a Telegram bot, which Motherboard reported on in January. Now, though, it appears that those who want to get their hands on the data won’t have to pay anything at all.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Govi and bubblesort

bubblesort

Just another whoopsie.

Thank you for posting this! I didn't dlrealize the hack was this extensive. The news I read said they just got names and phone numbers, and I was confused. Like... hackers created the white pages, and this is bad why? LOL, I mean, I hate FB as much as the next guy, but a nice, reliable white pages would be nice to have.

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Welp, my old facebook that I use for phone games is pwned, but... the last one listed was in '16 and i changed the password recently....
My current one is fine
And mine's bogus and/or outdated.