Facebook Hatred

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Plymouth Hoe
Their review: "There is human faeces everywhere you look and dog poo it is a very bad for Plymouth Council not to clean up and when you go down for a walk on the promenade there is confetti everywhere best thing is just so avoid it completely until the council get that together."

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

• 1WTF??
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez

I predict Zuckerberg will reconsider after he sees Google doing well having negotiated its deal.
He's a dick, but money talks.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Sid and Innula Zenovka
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I predict Zuckerberg will reconsider after he sees Google doing well having negotiated its deal.
He's a dick, but money talks.
The way the Australian government worded their definition of a news source is ridiculously broad. Combine that with the news sources only amounting to 4% of Facebook's Australian income I doubt Zuckerberg will change his position.

• 1Like
Reactions: Romana

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The way the Australian government worded their definition of a news source is ridiculously broad. Combine that with the news sources only amounting to 4% of Facebook's Australian income I doubt Zuckerberg will change his position.
For an alternative view

Also

Evernote link because paywall

SL Rez
SLU Posts
For an alternative view

Also

Evernote link because paywall
It's a bunch of nonsense. Do you think Cris should have to pay Australian news organizations because you just posted those links above? I'm not talking about the Evernote links either. It's the same thing.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
It's a bunch of nonsense. Do you think Cris should have to pay Australian news organizations because you just posted those links above? I'm not talking about the Evernote links either. It's the same thing.
Have the Australian government asked Cris to pay anything? Are they likely to?

If they haven't, I don't think it's worth spending much time worrying about it. Do you?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
An alternative approach:

Yet Australia’s approach is flawed. Warnings that the law would destroy the free and open internet by forcing companies to pay even for links were overdone. But it intervenes, in essence, on behalf of one side in an intercorporate battle. It has helped the Murdoch empire — one of the big beasts of the “old” media world — wring a deal out of a big beast of the new, but done little to help small, struggling local publishers.

• 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Ashiri and Kalel

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
:qft:

Cross-site links are basically the whole point of the web. Links must remain free for the web to be useful, and this is just the start.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Breaking up Murdoch's Evil Empire of Lies should be included in any democracy's list of steps toward improving its strength. Murdoch's assaults nearly destroyed the United States; it will happen again here unless we do something about Murdoch. We broke up AT&T and Standard Oil; it needs doing for Murdoch (and Zuckerberg), too.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin and Ashiri

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts

Cross-site links are basically the whole point of the web. Links must remain free for the web to be useful, and this is just the start.
The start (of the nonsense), or just the continuation (by a western government in this case)?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the matter, in a fight between, on the one hand, what is, whatever its faults, the legitimate government of a democratic country, and, on the other, what Mark Zuckerberg deems is in Facebook's commercial interest, I find it difficult to root for the billionaire.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the matter, in a fight between, on the one hand, what is, whatever its faults, the legitimate government of a democratic country, and, on the other, what Mark Zuckerberg deems is in Facebook's commercial interest, I find it difficult to root for the billionaire.
I'm rooting for the web.

This is billionaire vs billionaire. Murdoch vs Zuckerberg. The Australian government and their bad legislation is a patsy.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Essence Lumin

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'm rooting for the web.

This is billionaire vs billionaire. Murdoch vs Zuckerberg. The Australian government and their bad legislation is a patsy.
Since I've never seen the point of Facebook, it doesn't really affect me -- I get my news from a variety of news sites and Twitter. Facebook's for a couple of friends and some writers and artists I follow.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Aribeth Zelin

bubblesort

I agree with you. This idea that the Australian government is pursuing is Jaron Lanier's baby. Lanier coined the term 'virtual reality', by the way, so people here should be a little familiar with his influence.

Here he is describing this concept of 'data dignity', where everybody gets paid for everything on the internet. Chris pays us to post links here, we pay the authors of the stuff we link to, I assume somebody pays Chris to keep VVO running, somebody pays those people for something, and so on. The Brave browser is kind of a modest attempt to do that with cryptocurrency. Australia is trying to mandate it with force of law, but only on the tech giants, I think. I don't think this Australian law effects you and me running a little blog on some cheap web hosting. Not yet, at least.

I think data dignity is loony tunes crazy, but the idea is gaining more and more traction recently.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Since I've never seen the point of Facebook, it doesn't really affect me
The law does not only apply to Facebook.

I don't think this Australian law effects you and me running a little blog on some cheap web hosting. Not yet, at least.
Not yet.

I think data dignity is loony tunes crazy, but the idea is gaining more and more traction recently.
It's trying to kill the Internet and replace it by the kind of digital telephone service that the Europeans wanted back in the '80s.

• 1Winner
Reactions: Spirits Rising
SL Rez
SLU Posts
If that's the intent, it's clearly not going to work, so why worry?
The whole point of the web is sharing and if everything that might be news can't be shared that is terrible. You do know that includes anyone on Facebook that posts a link to a news story for their friends? Facebook is crappy and I won't be shedding any tears if they lose revenue over it. I also won't be shedding many tears if I can't read news links from people I follow on Facebook since those links are between few and nonexistent. They could very well try to extend their law to every little site basically putting all the sites like VVO in Australia out of existence and just make the internet essentially just a bunch of TV channels run by the Murdochs and friends.

• 1Agree
Reactions: bubblesort