Facebook Announces Horizon VR World

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Do you say this as an owner of a VR headset or just as a bystander? From my perspective, there's nothing "flailing" about the Oculus Quest. It's just beginning to scratch the surface of what VR can offer and I see it making inroads into mainstream culture where other VR systems have failed.

I was a severe VR critic and skeptic, but I've been converted. Quest is worth it just for the in-home exercise potential, which is the main benefit I get from it. But the growing variety of games and experiences keeps it solidly in the entertainment arena, too.
Actually I do own a headset. Granted it has been gathering dust lately, but that is because lots of things were too 'ooo, VR'. For example, all of the chat programs I tried out were more like the palace than something modern.

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I am guessing AR will have a real use case before VR, training feels like it is the same justification that SL used. Both AR and VR will eventually be mature right now they are flailing about.
I am a bystander that does not own a headset. AR will likely be more useful to business and education than VR. If anything, VR and VW are the future of electronic entertainment (fitness included). They all remind me of VRML incarnations that were so wonderful to behold but ultimately more trouble than they were worth.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I am pretty sure overwatch has custom games used for dirty role play. People will find a way to have sex in any platform.

Also I agree with the assessment about the avatars. It's all just feels very sterile and overly friendly.

Look at SL, look at VR Chat, people want to customize their avatars in cool ways. No one wants to be a cartoon version of their RL self with no legs.
:qft:

I get a really creepy vibe from FB VR. It's not just the legless avatars, it's the kind of feeling you get when you know you're dealing with a charming and likable psychopath. It feels like a facade that's hiding something. It reminds me of the feeling that I got when I visited the Disney property called "Celebration".
The creepy history of Disney’s perfect town

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I am a bystander that does not own a headset. AR will likely be more useful to business and education than VR. If anything, VR and VW are the future of electronic entertainment (fitness included). They all remind me of VRML incarnations that were so wonderful to behold but ultimately more trouble than they were worth.
Apple is making some headway into AR right now. Nothing big but it is not unusual to see a bunch of people at an apple event now walking around an empty table with ipads 'looking' at a new product.

Ironically I was thinking about an AR technology years ago and thought apple would be the perfect ones to bring it to market. This was back when they were getting back on their feet again too so it was a strange call but maybe it will work out after all.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I'd like to see an AR technology like Dream Park (Niven/Barnes, first book 1981). It had serious Second Life vibes, both good and bad.

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Have they eighteen triangle cube faces, well, have they?

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Knutz Scorpio

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Is okay to quote myself? Or is forum etiquette being breached by doing so? This is the kind of thing I'm referring to in my previous statement.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts