Facebook Account finally no longer required to use Meta Quest / Oculus Quest hardware

Adeon Writer

Got this in my inbox this morning:

Hi Adeon,
We want to give you more choices over how you express yourself in VR,
and to do so we’re making changes to our Meta VR platform in August
2022. Along with these changes, we’re also updating our Oculus Terms of Service and related Commercial Terms, and Oculus Privacy Policy. We recommend that you review these updated documents, and the summary below of upcoming Meta VR platform changes:
•​
A Facebook account is no longer required to use Meta VR devices. Instead, you can update your Oculus account to a Meta account, which lets you log into your VR devices and view and manage your purchased apps in one place. You can set up a Meta account using your email
address or Facebook account, and as part of the process we’ll migrate your existing VR information (including apps, achievements, and
friends) to this account.
•​
If you don’t want to set up a Meta account right now, you can continue using your Oculus account until January 1, 2023. After this date a Meta account will be required to continue using your Meta VR devices.

Last edited:
  • 1Yay!
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Noodles

At least I tried to try.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
So you do need one in 2023?

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
What kind of verification does a Meta account require? Must it be linked to a public RL display name?

Adeon Writer

What kind of verification does a Meta account require? Must it be linked to a public RL display name?
That's the million dollar question. We won't know until next month.

Currently, my Oculus account is just the username "Adeon" and my email address. It has no personal information tied to it.
As long as these new Meta accounts are the same thing, I've got no beef with it.

If they are mimicking Instagram, it *should* be the same way, but who knows. I only trust Facebook as far as I can throw them.