pc Enshrouded

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
The much anticipated RPG/Survival/Crafting game Enshrouded entered early access on Steam a few days ago, and is already a hit. I honestly have not had this much fun with a game in a very long time. It has sold over a million copies already, and while not as flashy as Palworld, I think it is the much better game. Definitely worth looking into if you like crafting, building, action combat, and light survival elements. Its voxel based world is enormous and is fully destructible. The building tools are very intuitive, and you eventually add multiple npcs to your base. All of it is very well done. It has a few rough edges but overall is just incredibly fun.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Been there done that... and left Embervale for Palworld after 10 hours of game play for now. Playing Enshrouded always felt like a responsibility and tedious chore, but not fun. Palworld is the opposite, time just flies like crazy and it is a joy to play it. Right now personally Palword is much more fun and enjoyable compared to Enshrouded. Let's see how it will progress...

These are the things which added together made me go away from Enshrouded:

• you cannot configure the difficulty of the game right now; so you've got to live with what the developers had on mind. And that is in case of a death that you keep your gear, but all farmables you gathered are lost in a tomb stone somewhere to pickup. Basic survival stuff.
  • The AI is bad and NPC balance is really bad: NPCs are either no threat at all, or a brick wall you run against. This also depends on your level: one level below you becomes wet paper, one above you is deadly. Also melee combat has a big disadvantage against ranged combat; here you can simply cheese and kite most NPCs around until they are dead, bosses included. NPCs are too dumb to go up on stairs, so if a stair is there you can just kite and shoot.
  • Dying in the miasma feels bad: there's a counter, 5 minutes at the beginning, which is also your death clock. Once your time has run out it is instant death, not just the miasma chewing away some portion of HP every second. This feels unfair and meh. Also add to the fact that some ressources can only be farmed in miasma, so time management is critical. This is why most people play in duos, to revive each other. Solo play is just really unfun due to that.
  • The number of flame altars you can build is really limited; these are also your own quick travel points. And quick travel points in the maps are scarce and really wide away from each other. So it is a lot of walking around.
  • Your inventory is very limited in the beginning, and will always be full of stuff you skip in order to get the rest. This changes later, but is annoying.
  • Storage at home does not pool up together, meaning if you need certain consumables for some recipes at a crafting station, you've got to carry all of it in your inventory instead the crafting stations taking it directly from your storage chests. Annoying.
  • Building feels more limited like in Valheim and has no physics. So while it looks better it is also more constrained.
  • The character editor is sub standard, it really does not offer many options to choose from. You cannot change character height, length of body and much more.
  • You only can save two characters, not more. Annoying.
  • Since the game gives you no feedback whatever about your leveling progress, leveling feels really slow paced and unrewarding.
  • When building furniture/objects for my base, these do occupy 1 place in my inventory. And even then I have to drag them to my action bar in order to place them. Very annoying.
So visually and in terms of building stuff Enshrouded has more, true. But in terms of game play I do enjoy Palworld right now much, much more, it all just adds together, makes sense and is really fun.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
My experience is the opposite of yours. I enjoy Palworld but Enshrouded I absolutely love and enjoy it more and more as I discover. I have had no desire to go back to Palworld atm.

BTW you can craft from storage, you need to unlock magic chests.

As far as the shroud death, it does need some tuning but I have only died in it once from running out of time. There are ways to mitigate it and it adds a sense of urgency.

You can increase the number of flame altars. I have 4 right now and some other fast travel unlocked from tower exploration.

I am not sure why you think you can only make 2 chars - I made 4 just to test. It does not show additional slots until you make a previous one.

There are a lot of things explained with quests, and I have discovered some things on my own. I love that food and water are buffs, not a necessity, and unlocking npcs serves many purposes too. It is not for everyone, but I am loving every minute of it.

Last edited:

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Okay well repairing and developing an existing estate is quite intriguing. You can grow and harvest crops. Can you also plant trees that grow into an orchard or small wooded area?

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I got the game about a month ago and have to even play it yet.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Keen Games is having a Reddit ask me anything about Enshrouded this weeks' Thursday. Maybe this is of interest to someone here.

Greetings, Flameborn! 🔥

To celebrate Enshrouded’s most recent update, Hollow Halls, the Keen Games team will be hosting an Ask Me Anything in this thread on Thursday at 5:00PM CEST! (11:00AM EST)

You’ll be able to post questions in the comments from now until Thursday. Once the event starts, our Creative Director, as well as several other team members, will sit down for a couple of hours to answer as many questions as we can!

Questions can be anything you want: Ranging from the development of Enshrouded, to what we had for breakfast that morning if that’s what you’re into. We likely won’t have time to get to every single question, but we’ll do our best to answer as many as we can.

If you’d like to learn more about Enshrouded, the Keen Games team, or just what goes into making games in general, don’t hesitate to ask and upvote some questions. And don’t forget to check out the thread again on Thursday to watch us answer your questions live!

The Keen Team

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Cristiano

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
Got a little addicted to this one. I've built my own little NPC village with a place for each builder. Honestly, the build tool is the best I've seen of any game so far. I like the way blocks add to the whole without looking like standalone chunks. Even pre-existing buildings can be added to and removed from seamlessly as long as the build is in range of a flame thingy. And, the framerate is practically untouchable. I've never experienced a moment of lag anywhere so far. I have 10 achievements left and having a lot of fun. =^-^=

I'd love to have a flycam photo mode, though.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Does this require Steam? I don't understand these gaming stores that won't just let me purchase and download a package. It's like trying to buy a stick of butter from a grocery store with registers that won't being a sale without scanning one of their discount cards.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Does this require Steam? I don't understand these gaming stores that won't just let me purchase and download a package. It's like trying to buy a stick of butter from a grocery store with registers that won't being a sale without scanning one of their discount cards.
Their faq says

4. What platforms will it be released on and when?
The game will be released in Steam Early Access first. We will eventually bring the game to other platforms (namely, Playtation 5 and Xbox X|S) and storefronts, after completion.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Khamon

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
At this point, Steam is the defacto PC gaming platform. The only main alternatives are Epic and Microsoft (separate and PC Game Pass) and some company specific ones (Blizzard, Ubisoft and EA). All have integrated storefronts, so you buy through them anyway. A lot of alternative storefronts (Humble, Green Man Gaming, etc..) sell Steam keys anyway. Steam does have the best client by far of any of them, along with excellent social and community features as well.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
At this point, Steam is the defacto PC gaming platform. The only main alternatives are Epic and Microsoft (separate and PC Game Pass) and some company specific ones (Blizzard, Ubisoft and EA). All have integrated storefronts, so you buy through them anyway. A lot of alternative storefronts (Humble, Green Man Gaming, etc..) sell Steam keys anyway. Steam does have the best client by far of any of them, along with excellent social and community features as well.
Steam also has a good return policy with no questions asked refund ( 2 hours to try out within 14 days I think). They also make it easy to transfer games to another computer or to share with family or friends so long as you aren't playing at the same time.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Khamon

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Steam also has a good return policy with no questions asked refund ( 2 hours to try out within 14 days I think). They also make it easy to transfer games to another computer or to share with family or friends so long as you aren't playing at the same time.
Also the cloud saves are a lifesaver and a huge improvement from the old way of having to figure out where the hell your game was saved and back it up, then transfer it to another pc. It has excellent game streaming support too. I use the Steam Link app on my iPad to play games from my PC with a controller in bed or away from my desk and it works incredibly well. I don't see a downside to Steam at this point, honestly.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
One more quick question if you please: the game is tagged as single player but the description reads "build grand halls and forge your path in this co-op survival action RPG for up to 16 players." Is it multi-player now, or will the gold version be, or will we have to run a server like we do for Minecraft, or does anybody know?