Embed Tests

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I wonder if everyone is seeing this the same way I do. Everything shows as links with no embedded content, with a few exceptions: Kavik's imgur embed works although Free's doesn't instead that one embeds a 'hey, there's nothing here' thing.
See my 2nd edit.

Ive also noticed while browsing the forums that the majority of posted images don't show either usually you can only tell this when it's all someone posts as their post just looks empty.
What browser is this happening in?

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Oh yeah, the instagram one kinda sorta almost works. Big box,looks like it should have content, but the only content is a stylised camera icon (instagram logo?) and a link saying 'view this post on instagram'

Tigger

It's firefox 62.0 on linux mint

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
The only thing I can think of is you have something set to block mixed content. VV is using SSL, and the embeds generally aren't.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
The only thing I can think of is you have something set to block mixed content. VV is using SSL, and the embeds generally aren't.
That seems to make the most sense.

Tigger

Not convinced, if I hover the mouse over the links most of them (maybe even all) show as HTTPS links. Certainly twitter, facebook, twitch all showed https links. Free's later attempts, tall model & happy dogs links do embed properly.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I'm not sure - I'm using the latest Firefox with no issues, and it's also fine in Chrome and on my iPad in Safari.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I wonder if there's some sort of region-locking going on with the sites the embeds link to?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Minion
Reactions: Clara D.

Tigger

I wouldn't expect geo-locking to be the issue, given it all works fine in the old SLU forums. Assuming there is no difference in the way the embeds are implemented the only significant difference would appear to be SSL but I don't really see how I can test that.

Tigger

Ah never mind problem identified, if not exactly solved.

Thinking about the SSL side I took a look at the icons in the address bar, noting that the SSL Padlock icon had the yellow warning triangle for mixed content showing. When I clicked it, it showed a pop up that also included the detail that I had tracking protection enabled.

Tracking protection was the problem. Disabling that caused all the embeds to appear. Now I have to decide if thats a price worth paying for embeds.

e.t.a.

It also now reveals that a lot of what I assumed were missing images in the forum were in fact missing youtube embeds, with tracking protection on you don't even get a link to youtube, just blank space.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
imgur gallery...

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Can I turn the sound up in my imgur posts?