Eight-year-old tops YouTube list of high earners with $26 million

Anya Ristow

bad influence
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
...YouTube's detection systems...Some creator who didn't think kids might want to watch their video about Pokemon is going to get flagged and demonetized by YouTube long before they'd have to worry about the FTC directly doing anything to them.
This is how well youtube's detection systems work.

• 1Like
Reactions: Clara D.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
This is how well youtube's detection systems work.

That's kind of my point though. YouTube's detection systems are notoriously overreactive; if they're so sensitive they're flagging kitten videos, I think there's little chance of some hapless video game blogger's so-called "borderline" content surviving long enough for the FTC to do anything about it.

The FTC's threat is reserved for people who deliberately try to evade and game YouTube's detection. I suspect the target is MCN's.

I get that not every channel that makes content that's popular for kids wants to make "kids' content", but in the end that honestly doesn't matter. If kids are watching it, they're being served targeted ads which means their privacy is being violated, no matter what the creator wants. Even the FTC isn't saying that every channel that just happens to get a few views from children must be forbidden from monetizing; but if there's a video that YouTube's data proves is getting tons of views from kids then there's really no excuse for allowing it to remain monetized, and if there's a channel that most of their videos are getting tons of views from kids then there's really no excuse for allowing the channel to continue to insist it doesn't produce kids' content.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer