she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I doubt any movie in our age will be a box office success if it embraces the core message. So really lets's be plain honest, I have no high hopes for it, sorry.

I wrote the Dune series because I had this idea that charismatic leaders ought to come with a warning label on their forehead: ’May be dangerous to your health.’ "
Frank Herbert

• 1Like
Reactions: Pancake

Jopsy Pendragon

I'm now giving negative Eff's. I'm in debt.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I doubt any movie in our age will be a box office success if it embraces the core message. So really lets's be plain honest, I have no high hopes for it, sorry.

I wrote the Dune series because I had this idea that charismatic leaders ought to come with a warning label on their forehead: ’May be dangerous to your health.’ "
Frank Herbert
No kidding. The core message kind of makes Paul Atreides into mix of Lawrence of Arabia and Bin Laden character anyway, leading desert people to bring down the rich/entitled/dominant power in their world, er, galaxy. Not sure that whole thing will appeal to a lot of Americans.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Frank Herbert
I am hoping they stream it. I would definitely buy it, even though I would probably have it on hbo soon after. Plus it would have a lot of people getting it who would not have seen it in the theatre but got to the point of there being nothing left to stream.

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
My son has never read the books nor seen the original movie. Somehow he seems to have missed most pop culture references to Dune as well even though he lives on the internet.

So I started to explain the story to him and he stops me to say “So it’s the story of Moses?” To which I respond no, no, no and proceed to describe it in more detail. When I’m done he gives me a long look and says “Sure sounds like the story of Moses with space worms and the Force.”

I am pretty sure this time it’s not a sign of my unconventional parenting choices, but rather my notoriously awful skills as a reteller of books and movies.

• 1Beer
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
To be honest, he could probably say that about MadMax... when it gets right down to it... any movie featuring a 'desert' generally has someone leading people across it eventually. :)

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Herbert was pulling threads from a lot of resources historical and otherwise. So in a way it is the story of Moses, only this time the Jews kick the Pharaoh's ass.

• 1Like
Reactions: Pancake

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
1st strike: enlisting Hanz Zimmer to copy Brian Eno
2nd strike: casting Edward Scissorhands as Paul

What will they mess up next?

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
1st strike: enlisting Hanz Zimmer to copy Brian Eno
I love the original blade runner Vangelis soundtrack, but enjoy the 2049 score even more.

I also really enjoy the original Toto/Dune soundtrack, so I'm cautiously optimistic that they may be able to craft a derivative soundtrack that I find as enjoyable.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Like
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield