Does being out of touch or out of date prevent you from returning to Second Life?

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Every now and again I get the itch to return to Second Life. I loved my many years there, the escapism, the creativity, the role play, the friendships. I don’t have a solid reason why I left, combination of health issues that prevented me from being online and a computer that didn’t allow me to fully appreciate it I guess started the decline and then one day I realized I hadn’t logged on in over a year.

Then the doubts crept in. Would any of the people I spent time with still be there? Would any of my favourite places still exist? Would I have to relearn the viewers? And what about my avatar and inventory? I don’t know anything about mesh bodies or heads.

I realize I’m over thinking it, it’s probably like riding a bike, but it feels like it would be a lot of work and frustration and maybe even disappointment if I tried again. They say you can never go back, but can you? Have you?

Erich Templar

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I never left, even though I don't log in quite as much as I used to, so I can't help there. I don't think that viewers have changed excessively (though I could be wrong -- how long have you been away?).

Mesh bodies and heads have a steep learning curve, but you don't have to have them. I still manage without (and still prefer my existing avatar to any mesh avatar that I've seen).

I don't know who is still around, but I know that some SLU VVO folk still log in occasionally, including Cris himself.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
No, you can never go back because SL is always a pile of wildly drifting sand. If you're expecting to log in and look for what you left, if you're returning out of nostalgia, then you'll probably be disappointed.

The best approach for SL is to look for what is new and dive in, approach it as a wiped slate, without expectations.

Learning how to wear mesh bodies and heads is like getting back on a bicycle that now has five wheels and 50 gears and some atomic-fired thrusters that look like they could explode if you push the wrong buttons. And there are so many buttons. So....easy peasy...

The question is more: Do you want something new? The creativity is still there, SL is making itself into something new all the time, because that is what creativity is all about. Only a museum will have the same art exhibit you saw last time.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I'm not sure being out of touch has ever precluded anyone from an internet activity.

But more seriously, viewers haven't changed much in years.
Maitreya is probably the most accessible body, it has some gotchas but lotsa helpful nerds in the various body groups.
But may want to hold off on the investment and see if you're still bothering to log in after a week.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Pancake

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
You might want to start back in with a male alt and put mesh and makeup and fashion "on the shelf" to give yourself time to explore and get used to everything. I'm sure some friends here can give you a gentle re-introduction. If not, I can ask some friends if they will help.

Myself, I just sit back and watch amazed at all the new stuff buzzing past (and over) my head and the associated money flows.

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
If you like the dress-up-Babrie part of SL then diving in the mesh circus is a must (and I wish you luck with all the frustrating hours needed to fiddle things out).
Otherwise lots of people still use their system body. There are no places in SL that exclude non mesh avatars, as far as I know.

So basically you need to install the latest viewer, log in and.... start from there. If you like what you see, you'll be hooked again soon.
If not.... well what did you loose then? The viewer is still free.
My advise: just give it a go (again) if you're interested.

Last edited:

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
A few of us have starting playing again. I very much feel like I am too old half the time to figure out what I am doing. But it provides those hilarious wtf moments like when your hair ends up in your crotch. You are more than welcome to dip your toes in with us. moo Money and I got into the MadPeas games and hunts and now farming lmfao.

While mesh is tricky to learn and not cheap it was an ok investment as all the parts I bought in 2015 were updateable to today's versions for no charge. And of us in the SLU/VVO group would help ya with any questions or be willing to drag you to locales (that will prob have you tping away with screams).

• 1Like
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Archer and Pancake

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Come as you are. Learn what you need to function.

Don't expect a lot of things to be the same, but if they're still around be thankful for them. :)
Dare I ask about movie night?

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
No, you can never go back because SL is always a pile of wildly drifting sand. If you're expecting to log in and look for what you left, if you're returning out of nostalgia, then you'll probably be disappointed.

The best approach for SL is to look for what is new and dive in, approach it as a wiped slate, without expectations.

Learning how to wear mesh bodies and heads is like getting back on a bicycle that now has five wheels and 50 gears and some atomic-fired thrusters that look like they could explode if you push the wrong buttons. And there are so many buttons. So....easy peasy...

The question is more: Do you want something new? The creativity is still there, SL is making itself into something new all the time, because that is what creativity is all about. Only a museum will have the same art exhibit you saw last time.
:qft:

I've started popping in again after a many-year hiatus brought on by health issues, and have found pretty much all of my old friends and the clubs I hung out at have all gone. In so many ways, I feel like I'm starting new again. I do try to find VVO members to stalk when I'm on, though. Beyond that, the Forum Cartel hangout has a changing room I spend time in going through my old clothing, nearly all of it of 2010 or earlier vintage. I have a Maitreya body, so I've been poking at that a bit as well. I hope to soon be able to put some money into SL so that I can buy some more up-to-date clothing.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
The sort who'd no doubt ban the mesh avatars I have?
oh those ones... "you are a speaking cat - you cannot come here" yeah just ignore those places
I hope to soon be able to put some money into SL so that I can buy some more up-to-date clothing.
No need with a Maitreya body... you can get pretty far with group gifts and hunt items with those. IM me inworld if you need freebie grabbing assistance.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I been lucky. The clubs I frequent are still around, if a bit slower:

The Velvet
Whiskey Smash
Z&A
Marcel's

And of course, there's the Wastelands :D

Beezle is loving the new Bakes-On-Mesh, can just nuke the scripts in the mesh body and wear all the old things too (she refuses to give up the green Nomine skin and 5-6 tattoo layers) and combined with Bento to replace flexi-tails and primmy sculpty wings. And claws that move with fingers!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Pancake

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I have recently gone through the same thing. I didn't ever expect to come back into SL, let alone enjoy it again. I wrote about it here:

It certainly has been a bit overwhelming, but it has helped having people to spend time with. The whole mesh avatar thing was a bit daunting, but I've managed to navigate it pretty well overall. You should come back in - there's so much new stuff to explore, and the quality of mesh now is stunning. It has made things so much better looking. I'm currently obsessed with animesh pets. I have a horse, a doberman, a labrador and now a pomeranian in a snowman costume. It's out of control but I love it. I am so glad I find the simple joy of SL again, I missed it.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
I was out since 2010-ish, and it was almost like starting over. I still haven't found new venues, and almost everything that would be comforting nostalgia is no longer there. It's essentially a new experience and I don't have time for it. In 2006 it pulled me in. In 2019 it's a chore that I don't have time for.

On the upside I now have a parcel within sight of the Ivory Tower, so not everything is gone. Though nobody actually visits the tower anymore. And I've found Ahern to be more social and less obnoxious than in past years when I've popped in, but it's kinda sparse these days, and the other easy social destinations are even more dead. I really have no clue where to find conversation.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
No need with a Maitreya body... you can get pretty far with group gifts and hunt items with those. IM me inworld if you need freebie grabbing assistance.
Oh, that would be wonderful! I'll look you up next time I'm on.