Doctor Who Series 12

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Hopefully it will be better than 11, but is hard to do worse. We also are not getting a holiday special between 11 and 12 this time.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Pancake

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Release Date Trailer. When they said early 2020, they meant January 1st. And bowties for everyone.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
Can I start this without watching previous ones? I watched 2 or 3 of last season and couldn't get into it.

Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
Can I start this without watching previous ones? I watched 2 or 3 of last season and couldn't get into it.
Have you seen it previously? If it's just last season you didn't watch I think you'd be able to follow along,

• 1Agree

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
I've not really watched any other seasons. Maybe clips or synopsis.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
You should be able to do it; Doctor Who as series has normal no episode spanning arcs aside his companion, and the basics are not so hard to grasp. As long as you know what the Daleks are and a Timelord is, also that the Tardis is bigger in the inside than the outside you should be fine.

Romana

SL Rez
At least one other character (so far) from the classic series figures in. I can't say without spoilers, so here's the link for the Doctor Who wiki .

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Ok I have to say first two episodes of Season 12 were better than any last season. I’m a fan, but no cannon expert, so I’ll have to go back and reaearch some background on the Master. I have a vague recollection at best and I think it will be important to have a fresher memory.

I am left a little unsettled by the last few minutes of episode 2. On one hand I do like an overarching season long story arc, on the other hand this one feels HUGE and I’m not confident they can do it justice based on some of the writing of last season. I’ll be happy to be wrong though.

Khamon

Folk Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
BBCA flaked out on Charter last week during the haunted house episode. We missed the first ten and the last thirty minutes. Someone please spoil the plot for me so we’re caught up for tonight. Much appreciated.

Sid

My blood type is Dark Roast Positive.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
BBCA flaked out on Charter last week during the haunted house episode. We missed the first ten and the last thirty minutes. Someone please spoil the plot for me so we’re caught up for tonight. Much appreciated.
It is all fake and filmed in studios!
The whole series, all episodes!

You're welcome.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Khamon

Romana

SL Rez
First let me mention that the BBCA app has all episodes of series 12 available for viewing.

Quick recap: the first ten minutes have Mary's stepsister asking Polidori or Byron to tell a story. Mary suggests that it should be a very scary one. Just as the story starts, the TARDIS team arrives at the door. Awkward getting, and they discover a key player, Shelley, is missing.
Last thirty minutes: the lone Cyberman has arrived, looking for the Cybernan tech that has attached to Shelley. The Doctor contributes the Cybernan, gets the thing out of Shelley and it attaches to her. The Cyberman threatens to kill Shelley and most likely everyone else if he doesn't get it. The Doctor makes the choice to give it to him rather than risk changing history with Shelley's premature death and who knows who else. Now she has to fix the future.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Khamon

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Well, Chibby did one thing. Nobody really cares what gender the doctor is. Everyone is united in hating what he is doing to the show.

• 1ROFL
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Pancake and Ava Glasgow

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well, Chibby did one thing. Nobody really cares what gender the doctor is. Everyone is united in hating what he is doing to the show.

I just watched the season finale last night and have to agree.

I was already unhappy that he basically retconned Missy's rehabilitation out of existence, and without any hint as to how she lived (aside from the general Master-never-dies rule) and why she/he went back to utterly detesting the Doctor.

Now the whole Timeless Child thing seems ridiculously stupid to me...

Last we saw Missy, she was choosing to stand with the Doctor. Still a psychopath with little regard for human life, but she was trying to get better and was feeling friendly toward the Doctor. How did she/he go from that to Gallifreyan genocide just because he learned he had a smidge of Doctor DNA in him?

But even putting that aside, I don't even get the whole premise of the Timeless Child. Harvesting their superpowers to enhance their own race makes sense, but the rest of it? Why deliberately erase the child/Doctor's memory and keep resetting them back to a baby?

And now that we know that there was a previous incarnation (or set of incarnations) of the Doctor with the SAME FUCKING TARDIS EXTERIOR, how is it even possible that all knowledge of the previous Doctor has been hidden. Time lords are time travelers for fuck sake, bouncing around and crossing paths all over the place. How can the Doctor's full existence not be common knowledge?

Even if they had managed to make it make sense, I still don't like the retconning of the Doctor. I just want to pretend this whole story arc never happened, like the fourth season of Torchwood.

• 1Thanks

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I just watched the season finale last night and have to agree.

I was already unhappy that he basically retconned Missy's rehabilitation out of existence, and without any hint as to how she lived (aside from the general Master-never-dies rule) and why she/he went back to utterly detesting the Doctor.

Now the whole Timeless Child thing seems ridiculously stupid to me...

Last we saw Missy, she was choosing to stand with the Doctor. Still a psychopath with little regard for human life, but she was trying to get better and was feeling friendly toward the Doctor. How did she/he go from that to Gallifreyan genocide just because he learned he had a smidge of Doctor DNA in him?

But even putting that aside, I don't even get the whole premise of the Timeless Child. Harvesting their superpowers to enhance their own race makes sense, but the rest of it? Why deliberately erase the child/Doctor's memory and keep resetting them back to a baby?

And now that we know that there was a previous incarnation (or set of incarnations) of the Doctor with the SAME FUCKING TARDIS EXTERIOR, how is it even possible that all knowledge of the previous Doctor has been hidden. Time lords are time travelers for fuck sake, bouncing around and crossing paths all over the place. How can the Doctor's full existence not be common knowledge?

Even if they had managed to make it make sense, I still don't like the retconning of the Doctor. I just want to pretend this whole story arc never happened, like the fourth season of Torchwood.
The huge retcon they did was a big wtf. I have yet to hear anyone liked it. At best some people were meh. For this you retcon decades and overthrew stuff? Some people even liked everything else but the retcon was enough to make them hate the show taken as a whole. Why Chibbers, why? Maybe he is a plant to destroy the show?

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
For this you retcon decades and overthrew stuff?
That's one of the things that really bothers me: completely changing the basis of the entire 50+ year show, all for a "big" reveal that (to me at least) is just meh at best. And I'm not sure exactly why, but to me it makes the Doctor less interesting as a character.

I'm gonna give this one more season, but if Chibnall doesn't Bobby Ewing this shit, I may sit out until he's replaced.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
That's one of the things that really bothers me: completely changing the basis of the entire 50+ year show, all for a "big" reveal that (to me at least) is just meh at best. And I'm not sure exactly why, but to me it makes the Doctor less interesting as a character.

I'm gonna give this one more season, but if Chibnall doesn't Bobby Ewing this shit, I may sit out until he's replaced.
Yeah, this gives a huge hole to do any pre hartnell dr they want now and messes up several plot threads. It also makes the doctor special now where before it was their actions, not who they were. There was no reason for it too. Another point is now I guess the doctor can never die? Which made the ending just confusing.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ava Glasgow