cable Doctor Who Renewed For Season 12

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I know Tom Baker was a jerk and all (ever heard Lalla Ward when asked about their marriage? And she's really quite diplomatic about it) but I wouldn't throw out the whole 4th Doctor era--it would also throw out Lalla and a good deal of John Leeson, who are lovely in person, and done other nicer folks. And I do like some of the stories (notably the Douglas Adams ones). So I only think about Tom bring the Doctor, not about him being Tom.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Davison and C. Baker coped quite nicely without the sonic. Honestly, it's an element that I wish the modern series had done away with. Doctor Who in general has always had a problem with "a wizard did it" style writing, and the sonic screwdriver is a common crutch for lazy writers.
If the sonic was not there it would lose continuity with the old show. It is much more than a widget, it is a symbol of the doctor. Just because there are lazy writers it should not be worse for good writers.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Davidson, and related writers, navigated an excellent transition to modernize the Doctor and the universe for the eighties. And Baker followed suite pretty well. But dear lord look where it went from there.
Colin is an excellent actor. The producers were, intentionally or not, basically killing the show at that point. Sylvester did not get his entire planned arc (which is why 'hand of omega' seems so strange, it was headed in the direction of the shows that were cut). The US movie .... well, the less said about it the better.

Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
Don't disrespect the McCoy years! (Well, not the last two.) And I've watched a lot of Colin stories this year and most of them are at least vaguely enjoyable if you disengage the brain and taste.

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Colin is an excellent actor. The producers were, intentionally or not, basically killing the show at that point. Sylvester did not get his entire planned arc (which is why 'hand of omega' seems so strange, it was headed in the direction of the shows that were cut). The US movie .... well, the less said about it the better.
JNT was trying to kill off the series, that is why Colin's Doctor is such a mess. Colin did a great job with what he was saddled with.

Sylvester's run started off trying to dig out of the hole JNT had dug for Colin. As the series progressed, it got really good. I loved the dark mysterious Doctor who was there with Rasilon and Omega at the start of Timelord society. We got hints that made us want to know more, was the Doctor even older and more powerful then we had seen? The voiceover that was added to Survival (the last broadcast story) "There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there’s injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace — we’ve got work to do!" was added after the story was shot but before the final episode aired. It was done to give a "more suitable conclusion".

I agree, the American harlequin romance doctor movie was crap.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kara Spengler

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Just watched the restored Tom Baker episode Shada (not bad considering how much they had to reconstruct) and noted that the Doctor only used the sonic scewdriver once to open a locked door.

On a side note I enjoyed seeing how close start of the episode was to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and the different directions Douglas Adams took the premise.

• 2Like
Reactions: Caete and Khamon

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
If you have not heard of or watched any of this series, I do recommend them quite highly. Lots of behind the scenes details and going ons.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Don't disrespect the McCoy years! (Well, not the last two.) And I've watched a lot of Colin stories this year and most of them are at least vaguely enjoyable if you disengage the brain and taste.
Oh, I LOVE McCoy. I meant all the classic doctors after Davidson got shortchanged by the production side of things.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
If you have not heard of or watched any of this series, I do recommend them quite highly. Lots of behind the scenes details and going ons.

Certainly! I watched every ep and the last few was anxious for the next one to be released.