Do You Still Care About Second Life?

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
One thing I've noticed in the transition from SLU to here is that there is not nearly as much discussion about SL. Obviously at this point I guess there's not a ton of new things to talk about regarding SL - I'm just curious.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm less interested in virtual worlds, personally. That, combined with a distinct lack of anything earth-shattering going on, and I'm left with almost nothing to say about them.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in that. :shrug:

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Fairplay Playfair and I go back a long time. I have known her in real life nearly 30 years. I introduced her to SL in 2004. I'm seeing her in RL soon. I look forward to us being in SL again and going to music events, especially on Prankster Isle. We had a home and friends there.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Do care in the sense that I want it to be there, well not be There, because it’s still fun to knock around the world. Don’t believe any mainstream productive use will ever come of it. And what Han said.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Yes? Most people here are coming from an SL related platform. I think we're just A) Not as many people in the old website as now, and B) not as much knowledge that this website even exists. I expect this to change over time.
The reason I asked is the daily posts count is rapidly approaching SLU, which itself had slowed in terms of SL related posts. I have noticed also a distinct lack of any discussion really of content creation, scripting, etc.. here as well. I know it will probably change over time, I am just getting some feedback :)

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I'm in SL almost every day, and I can't be the only one here like that...but, well I'm neither a content creator (yet) nor a landowner, so I guess I'm better at adding two cents than starting any real topics about it?

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
The reason I asked is the daily posts count is rapidly approaching SLU, which itself had slowed in terms of SL related posts. I have noticed also a distinct lack of any discussion really of content creation, scripting, etc.. here as well. I know it will probably change over time, I am just getting some feedback :)

Tris

busy pushing buttons
Joined SLU
02-19-2011
SLU Posts
Still log-in every day, so yeah i do care. But, there's nothing really new atm in or about SL, not even some major drama going on. This might explain it a bit.
Also, like Dakota, i'm neither building nor scripting, so i don't pay that much attention to that stuff.

Then again, this ... lacking of discussions might even be a positive thing. LL didn't do something new stupid to push existing residents away ;)

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The main chunk of SL residents doesn't build, script or sell anymore like in the more early years. And those who do, know where to rip stuff or how to create things in Blender and the like. So not so many questions to be asked lately I guess.
Oldbee merchants and creators know their stuff and don't really have to share it here. They have their own vlogs, blogs, social media pages and websites.

And further: SL is an old platform, and all the new stuff is mostly technical detailing of what was already there for years.
Not really stuff to have exploding discussions about.
And that LL is LL and always acts like LL...... no need to discuss that anymore.

We have been there and done that.

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm there every day, but there really isn't anything to post about, unless I do a fashion shot or something. My time is taken up.primarily, by hanging out with friends or DJ'ing, with some shopping thrown in. And I am not a major fashionista, so there is nothing very exciting there. :)

Luisa Land

The main chunk of SL residents doesn't build, script or sell anymore like in the more early years. And those who do, know where to rip stuff or how to create things in Blender and the like. So not so many questions to be asked lately I guess.
t.
Yes I think, this is an important fact. Due to the technol. development in sl it became more and more demanding to create something by yourself. So the overwhelming part of residents became pure consumers. discussions about creating issues vanished more and more.
Also - due to higher skill-demands for creating good items - the number of providers shrinked over the years....think alone of providers for avatars. Maitreya and Signature dominate the market since ages. Nothing realy new. Nothing exciting to discuss.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
We have been there and done that.
:qft:

Even when my interest in SL is high, there's not much to talk about anymore. I can't claim to know everything, but I've mastered enough of the steep learning curve that I don't need help very often.

And yeah, nothing much has changed recently. Nothing to get excited about or to complain about either. The recent changes to tier and premium land were welcome, but there's not much to say beyond "That's nice."

I'm curious, however, at why there aren't more newbies take advantage of our user knowledge. Fewer newbies? Not finding this forum? Of course, it becomes a feedback loop: if we don't talk about SL, then newbies don't feel like this is a place where they can learn.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
I log on almost every day to take care of my rentals and maybe to have a chat with any friends who may be online at the same time. But the thrill is gone.

Two of the reasons why were very well illustrated by something that happened and something that didn't happen at the Town Hall meeting last November.

What happened was that Oz told us not to believe any rumours about what LL would do in SL in two years because LL doesn't plan that far ahead. I don't think neither he nor any of the other Lindens there realized it, but what he actually said, was that LL has no vision and no strategy for SL.

What didn't happen was talk about performance issues. There were several questions about that in the forum thread before the meeting but at the meeting those questions were all ignored - except for a quick dismissal of doing ahything about sim crossings. I think that answers Beebo's question:

I'm curious, however, at why there aren't more newbies take advantage of our user knowledge. Fewer newbies?
Yes. Fewer newbies. Without a significant reduction in the de facto hardware requirements and a significant improvement of all the different lag related issues, there is no hope for SL to broaden its userbase. There will always be a few newcomers of course and it does actually seem to be a little bit more of them nwo than a year or two ago. But for the most part, SL doesn't hold much attraction for anybody who weren't already hooked on it years ago.

Last edited:

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
In response to the title, I still care about SL. Why there's less discussion about SL, like others have said there's not much really new about SL.

A while back I stated I was burned out on SL and Opensims and was going to SineSpace, I went through some effort to learn how to create on SineSpace but have gradually ended up back on SL again. I've made attempts at the learning curves for other platforms but am still having too much fun with prims and mesh on SL to turn away from that just yet. Another thing that pulls me back to SL is that it seems to be the only grid with a real mainland.

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm on SL every day, and have more friends than I ever did. I do find that pretty much everyone I interact with in SL are what I'd call mature users, which is everyone knows what they need to know to be satisfied. Way back when I first started here in these forums, that was not the case at all. SL was also undergoing major changes then, so it was hard to keep up. Nowdays it seems SL itself is a more mature product, so not as much to have to learn all the time.

That said, I would be very sad if these forums went away. I used them more for social interaction rather than as a knowledge base.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I'm still there pretty often. My interest waxes and wanes, but I'm almost always on on the weekends with Crow. But since Bento, there hasn't been any new major developments so nothing much new to talk about with it. It's performance for me has been pretty steady, so can't complain, either. :)

Plurabelle Laszlo

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I am online on a daily basis, building, admining a roleplay sim, roleplaying and chatting with friends. I still care a lot, like others have said there simply is not much to discuss lately. at least no big dramatic things - except for roleplay drama, there is always roleplay drama. but this is not the forum to air that kind of laundry :)