Disney plans to remake Home Alone

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
This year alone, Disney had already remade The Lion King, Aladdin, and Dumbo as live-action releases, and remakes of Mulan, The Little Mermaid, and Lady and the Tramp are on the horizon. In March, Disney closed a $71 billion deal and acquired 20th Century Fox’s assets, too. They'll be putting those assets to good use beginning November 12, which is when the company will launch its first streaming service, Disney+. The service will eventually include 7500 TV episodes and 400 movies from both Disney and Fox, and now the company is set on remaking other beloved classics specifically for its streaming audiences.

Deadline reports that the service will remake Home Alone, Fox's beloved 1990 megahit that grossed more than $400 million worldwide (and spawned a handful of sequels). Disney hasn’t stated what shape the remake will take—Will it be a TV show? Who will star?—but Disney CEO Bob Iger said it will be "reimagined" for "a new generation."

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Interestingly, Disney cancelled dang near everything original that was on 20th Century Fox's stove, putting it all into turnaround. Spielberg's "West Side Story" is safe because Spielberg, but only a couple of other movies are still gonna be made.

"Turnaround" means the owning studio has canceled the project but another studio can basically buy it for the price of what the owners already spent on development before it was canceled, plus a cherry of course.

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I guess that the New Mutants movie is still coming out since it's already done. Last I heard it was coming out April 3, 2020.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Any remake without Macaulay Culkin is automatically better than the original.

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
It’s a way for Disney to exploit another kids childhood for the sake of entertainment. Good luck to the poor sods they choose!

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
There is nothing new under the Sun (in Hollywood).
I know, but I still don't get it, sorry.

I do understand that Hollywood has the knack of recreating successful foreign movies with American actors, because the domestic audience just does not really much like dubbed movies. At least that's what I've been hearing all the time.

So, for example, this:

Became that:

And while Hanks is for sure a good actor, the whole remake was mediocre at best. As most American remakes of foreign movies turn out to be anyway. Then again imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery, which means that the original was quite well done.

So let's just ignore now such remakes. I can also understand what Disney is right now doing with real life remakes of classic cartoons; it still has its own artistic appeal. The idea behind is to appeal to a younger, newer generation in order to stay relevant; they need to reseed themselves into young people so that stay fond on Disney for the next few decades, or so.

But redoing movies like "Home alone" is for me just uncreative; even if there might be new points being made in the move. Since the whole industry in Hollywood at the moment has such a hard-on for recycling big, old franchises and movies this in the end is nothing more than the confession that they don't have any new ideas any longer, that there's a creative dilemma. But you can only remake so many movies, before the audience becomes fed up and demands new ideas and takes again.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Maybe it will be a series. Kevin's parents take a vacation every week and, "oh darn, we forgot Kevin again!". Maybe we shouldn't have 50 kids.

"Oh no! Those rascal burglars have returned again!"

Oh, better yet, make it a TV MA Edgy streaming show. It turns out Kevin is a serial killer who lures burglars to his maze of death.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
"Remimagined for 'a new generation'"?

So, basically, in this upcoming version, Kevin's parents are arrested at the airport and Kevin is placed in foster care? Not quite sure where the burglars fit in, though.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Zaida Gearbox

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts

So, basically, in this upcoming version, Kevin's parents are arrested at the airport and Kevin is placed in foster care? Not quite sure where the burglars fit in, though.
Replace the burglars with ICE agents.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez

Poor parents would lose custody for that. Rich white parents just made an honest mistake.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I don't get this.

I totally get why Disney makes CG and liveaction remakes of its animated movies. You want to try the same things using newer and awesomer-looking technology. They don't always work well, and one could question the wisdom of course, but at least the motivation makes sense.

What on Earth can be done with Home Alone, though? Like genuinely. It's already live-action, so there's no new composition technology to use. Same story with a different kid, and/or different silly traps? That's literally Home Alone 3, which has already been made. Same kid (with a different actor obviously) and an "updated" family with domestic problems? That's literally Home Alone 4, which has also already been made. Completely-different-but-not scenario, with a new kid who thinks he's setting traps for ghosts that are haunting his house and accidentally foils a burglary attempt? Guess what, that's Home Alone 5. I haven't seen any of these btw, I just read the synopses on Wiki. I can see continuing to make pointless and pandering DTV sequels for this tired franchise but investing money in an actual feature?