Dipping My Toe in Mesh

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
So I was given a very nice surprise gift of a Maitreya Lara mesh body from a friend of mine, so I finally got my feet wet in the wonderful (and confusing) world of mesh avatars. I will get a mesh head someday in the not-too-distant future, probably from Lelutka. But for now, I bought a system skin that works with my new body, and a couple of mesh outfits. I was pleased to find that the shape I've been using for most of my Second Life worked with the new body without any issues.

I'm finding out quickly that this has a bit of a steep learning curve. The Maitreya came with a nice bra and pantie, which I put on under the outfit I bought. But when I put on the outfit designed for the Maitreya, the bra straps poked through. I could "solve" this by wearing a one-size-too-large standard-sized version of the outfit (the outfit came with the Maitreya version as well as the five standard sizes), but this seems to defeat the purpose of using the Maitreya version. As a separate note, the back of my skirt splits in an unexpected way as I walk.

I've got a lot to learn here, and could use any pointers you all can give.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Cristalle

Free

Vote Baby Yoda 2020
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Keep the hud attached at all times. My only suggestion.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Romana

SL Rez
So I was given a very nice surprise gift of a Maitreya Lara mesh body from a friend of mine, so I finally got my feet wet in the wonderful (and confusing) world of mesh avatars. I will get a mesh head someday in the not-too-distant future, probably from Lelutka. But for now, I bought a system skin that works with my new body, and a couple of mesh outfits. I was pleased to find that the shape I've been using for most of my Second Life worked with the new body without any issues.

I'm finding out quickly that this has a bit of a steep learning curve. The Maitreya came with a nice bra and pantie, which I put on under the outfit I bought. But when I put on the outfit designed for the Maitreya, the bra straps poked through. I could "solve" this by wearing a one-size-too-large standard-sized version of the outfit (the outfit came with the Maitreya version as well as the five standard sizes), but this seems to defeat the purpose of using the Maitreya version. As a separate note, the back of my skirt splits in an unexpected way as I walk.

I've got a lot to learn here, and could use any pointers you all can give.
Yeah, the clothing makers don't take that into account.
Another solution is what I usually do when the underthings might show, rummage through my inventory for applier lingerie that looks enough like regular bra and/or panties.
Also, just because clothes are supposed to be rigged for a particular mesh body doesn't mean they're rigged perfectly, so don't assume the fault is yours.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
Yes, the Lara underwear won't fit under most tight mesh clothing. It will under looser skirts and shirts. I think the body also comes with applier lingerie, so you should be able to use that. Or just alpha your bits. :)

A lot of tighter skirts are rigged to the hips, I guess. So, the mesh does sometimes split when you most or walk. I just alpha my legs as far as I can and put up with whatever else still pokes through. It doesn't happen with fuller skirts.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Yes, the Lara underwear won't fit under most tight mesh clothing. It will under looser skirts and shirts. I think the body also comes with applier lingerie, so you should be able to use that. Or just alpha your bits. :)
This is common to more than just the Lara underwear. Many clothes will not take into account any underwear. Some do and even then it may be designed for a particular set of underwear. You just have to make liberal use of the hud for the alpha bits, and also applier lingerie. I have a separate copy of the body that is meant to wear applier underwear that I put with specific outfits. I'd also suggest putting the number slot of your saved alpha configurations into outfit names or on the inventory folders.

And yes, the body comes with some applier lingerie from Zaara, which is nice.

• 1Agree
  • 1Interesting
Reactions: Romana and Shiloh Lyric

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I'm definitely going to have to learn about appliers, especially where undergarments are concerned. I had a fun wardrobe malfunction today when I logged on. I was on Cris's land, over by the bar. My body rezzed almost immediately. My clothes decided not to. So I'm standing there, naked as a jay, thankful that no one else was around. I ended up having to take off the errant clothing and putting it back on again for it to rez.

Oh, this is going to be fun!

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I'm definitely going to have to learn about appliers, especially where undergarments are concerned. I had a fun wardrobe malfunction today when I logged on. I was on Cris's land, over by the bar. My body rezzed almost immediately. My clothes decided not to. So I'm standing there, naked as a jay, thankful that no one else was around. I ended up having to take off the errant clothing and putting it back on again for it to rez.

Oh, this is going to be fun!
The appliers are just a mimic of the system layer clothing, it paints onto layers of mesh that are invisible and slightly distant from the body. Tattoo layer is closest to the skin, the underwear layer is a little bit above that for a skintight fit, and the outer clothing layer has a bit more distance from the underwear layer and how some things look (string bikinis in particular) change based on which layer to which you apply the texture.

Trifina

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's okay to keep the HUD on at home, but you should take it off for shopping or clubbing. I add it to many of my 'outfits' so I can fix alpha issues, but then I take it off after I'm suitably dressed. I also have it on that little "frequently worn" floater (along with the HUDs for all my boats) for quick fixes.

I made extra copies of the feet, one for each position, and I use these in my outfits instead of constantly using the HUD when I change shoes. I also have copies of the body with tank tops on layers that I use with things that are more open in front than my modesty prefers (most everything in SL, that is). While they could be considered "clothes", I put them on the underwear layer, because as Cristalle explained, the underwear layers are closer to the body, and glitch less with things over them.

Sometimes when you rez or change outfits your body won't rez first and so the auto alpha has nothing to work on. Open your Outfits, double click twice on the offending piece of clothing, and taking it off and putting it on again will restore the alphas.

I have a several pairs of panties from an Aphorism gacha that are specifically for "under dress" wear - they have no top band, and thus don't glitch. I use these a lot. You might be able to find something similar.

BTW, not all "for Maitreya" clothing is equal. Often it's obvious that they made clothes for say, Slink, and then tweaked things for a "good enough" fit so they could sell to Maitreya owners as well. This is why most of your shopping time should be trying on demos. :)

Romana

SL Rez
Re: the Lara HUD: Maitreya has a script that will save your alphas. You drop the script in a prim, follow the instructions, and wear the prim with the outfit (I use "attach to HUD") rather than have to remember what attachment point it's on.
The script should be available in the back of the store near the counter.
I prefer my av to wear applier undies, in case of circumstances like Katheryne mentioned, but it's something of a challenge to find basic underwear. Most applier underwear seems to be sexy lingerie.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Most applier underwear seems to be sexy lingerie.
Most sure, but there's lots of plain and simple stuff too. I'm not a big fan of lace and I like a full underwear drawer folder, so I've amassed a collection over the years.

Best recommendation would be Alaskametro, she does a few different sets in basic colours. Nice textures and you can get mix and match sets with multiple cuts and styles of pants and bras

As a bonus, while looking for the Alaskametro name, I also stumbled over these sets that I hadn't seen before but that I've now impulse bought and added to my inventory:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LBD-Nude-tone-Basics-6-Bra-Panties-Appliers-System/13511046
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Stellar-Sweet-Cheeks-Panties-Opaque-pack-MAITREYA-OMEGA/14615045
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Lifebringer-325d-Linen-Lingerie-White-Set-Slink-Omega-MaitreyaWowmeh-Appliers/9845790

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Most sure, but there's lots of plain and simple stuff too. I'm not a big fan of lace and I like a full underwear drawer folder, so I've amassed a collection over the years.

Best recommendation would be Alaskametro, she does a few different sets in basic colours. Nice textures and you can get mix and match sets with multiple cuts and styles of pants and bras

As a bonus, while looking for the Alaskametro name, I also stumbled over these sets that I hadn't seen before but that I've now impulse bought and added to my inventory:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LBD-Nude-tone-Basics-6-Bra-Panties-Appliers-System/13511046
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Stellar-Sweet-Cheeks-Panties-Opaque-pack-MAITREYA-OMEGA/14615045
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Lifebringer-325d-Linen-Lingerie-White-Set-Slink-Omega-MaitreyaWowmeh-Appliers/9845790
Oh, you're the best! I have to check these out! So much of the undies I've seen in-world look like they belong on a cheap stripper.

Puretone

Still Pancakes alt (Roxy Couturier)
Joined SLU
Feb 2011
SLU Posts
With BoM, you can use your system undies. Join Maitreya Lara Friends, check Notices. There will be a BoM hud you can use with Lara. Wear the hud, remove your body alpha. You can wear old skins, tattoos and system clothing as well as any Maitreya rigged clothing and shoes.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
With BoM, you can use your system undies. Join Maitreya Lara Friends, check Notices. There will be a BoM hud you can use with Lara. Wear the hud, remove your body alpha. You can wear old skins, tattoos and system clothing as well as any Maitreya rigged clothing and shoes.
One thing I do like about the onionskin layering of the mesh bodies is the way the clothing layers don't exactly conform to body proper. It wasn't really an issue with system bodies, but these days we have details that aren't going to look that great with baked on clothes. BoM is going to be great for things like tattoos, makeup, skin blemishes and whatnot, but I suspect that it's not going to be a popular option for clothes.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Fionalein

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
BoM is going to be great for things like tattoos, makeup, skin blemishes and whatnot, but I suspect that it's not going to be a popular option for clothes.
When I briefly played around with the BoM version of Slink Hourglass, I noticed there were options for making texture clothes look like they weren't quite painted on. Hopefully other body makers will follow suit.