Digital Storm - How well would this computer run SL?

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
Sep 20, 2018
居留守
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBS... I just had a thought..
Your C drive is small.. maybe crunchytime full.
Sadly your PC is at the shop but trying your present PC on a bigger C drive might fix things.

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
:cheer:

Picked up my computer and it runs better than it has in YEARS!!

For $200 they:
  • Blew out the dust (not that dusty, but every bit helps)
  • Installed a CPU cooler
  • Repasted the CPU
  • Cleared out viruses
  • Updated Windows
  • Updated my drivers
  • Ran various diagnostics for software & hardware that all came up clear
I am one happy camper!!

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBS... I just had a thought..
Your C drive is small.. maybe crunchytime full.
Sadly your PC is at the shop but trying your present PC on a bigger C drive might fix things.
Just checked and I still have 15GB free on my C: drive. Is that enough? I have no clue.

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
If your GPU is not near 100%, your limiting factor at the time is the CPU. if the GPU is close to that 100% mark, the bottleneck is the GPU.
Oooo, thanks for explaining how to use Task Manager for this check.

GPU spiked at 70% and ran between 35-45% for the majority of my time walking around the grid. So most definitely not the bottleneck. (Thanks, Veritable, it's a great card!)

That being said, CPU maxxed out for a few seconds here and there, but averaged around 75-95% usage the majority of the time. Does that mean the CPU is mostly okay? Would a better CPU provide noticeable improvement?

Govi

feral ballerina
Sep 20, 2018
Left Coast, north of Surf City
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • Govi

Govi

Just checked and I still have 15GB free on my C: drive. Is that enough? I have no clue.
That is way too small, Beebs. As a rule of thumb for SSDs, you should have at least 25% free space for the drive to operate efficiently (I think I got this from Twit.tv's TWICH podcast, who have experts in testing SSDs on regularly).

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
Oooo, thanks for explaining how to use Task Manager for this check.

GPU spiked at 70% and ran between 35-45% for the majority of my time walking around the grid. So most definitely not the bottleneck. (Thanks, Veritable, it's a great card!)

That being said, CPU maxxed out for a few seconds here and there, but averaged around 75-95% usage the majority of the time. Does that mean the CPU is mostly okay? Would a better CPU provide noticeable improvement?
Your i5-3570 is up near the top of that generation of CPUs speed wise (3.4 GHZ, 3.8 GHz max turbo). See some that'll get you 3.5/3.9, 3.6/4.0 and even 3.7/4.1 But being that your CPU is still selling at $160+ I think an upgrade would be really pricey, unless you want to try ebay.

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
That is way too small, Beebs. As a rule of thumb for SSDs, you should have at least 25% free space for the drive to operate efficiently (I think I got this from Twit.tv's TWICH podcast, who have experts in testing SSDs on regularly).
Yikes. I moved out a batch of files to my archive disk and now I've got 21GB of free space, but that still falls short of 25%.

I guess I know my next upgrade step. Buy a new SSD and get the repair shop to move over my data.

Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
I'd be curious to know how much free space was left on the SSD before you took it to the shop. Because since Eku mentioned it, I agree that it could well have been the source of your slowdowns. The price of SSDs has really come down quite a bit in the last few years, so now's a good time to upgrade it.

Sep 19, 2018
NJ suburb of Philly
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I'd be curious to know how much free space was left on the SSD before you took it to the shop. Because since Eku mentioned it, I agree that it could well have been the source of your slowdowns. The price of SSDs has really come down quite a bit in the last few years, so now's a good time to upgrade it.
If you want to save money, if your computer has a place for it, even a cheap hard drive, to make space on the SSD.

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
No difference in free space before or after. I've been pretty good about keeping my hard drive optimized and deleting unnecessary files. I moved 8GB this morning, but there's only about 3GB worth of documents files left so even if I moved everything off the boot drive, I wouldn't recover all that much.

I can afford a new SSD now, but I'm not up for taking my computer back to the shop. I could do the actual installation myself, it's getting my OS installed that's the problem. I don't have install disks since this is an upgrade from Windows 8.1. I need my existing disk ghosted over and I have no idea how to do that.

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
If you want to save money, if your computer has a place for it, even a cheap hard drive, to make space on the SSD.
That's what I have now -- the 118GB SSD boot drive, plus two huge hard disk drives. The majority of my data is stored on those other two drives. All that I have on the SSD is my OS, programs and about 2GB of data for Sims4, documents and images.

When I spec'd the computer, I miscalculated, mostly by not realizing just how much frickin' room Windows takes.

Program Files: 9GB
Program Files (x86): 28.5 GB
Windows: 30GB
Users: 8GB

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Okay, if the computer is running much faster now than before you took it to the shop, and the free space on the boot drive hasn't changed any appreciable amount, then the drives are likely not the problem. Which makes the root cause even more of a mystery.

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Okay, if the computer is running much faster now than before you took it to the shop, and the free space on the boot drive hasn't changed any appreciable amount, then the drives are likely not the problem. Which makes the root cause even more of a mystery.
Cleaning out viruses and updating drivers. I have a virus protection program, but apparently it got hit anyway. And drivers and I... never a good combination. I find them mysterious and scary and when I update them, things usually break, so I try not to update them.

Govi

feral ballerina
Sep 20, 2018
Left Coast, north of Surf City
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • Govi

Govi

Yikes. I moved out a batch of files to my archive disk and now I've got 21GB of free space, but that still falls short of 25%.

I guess I know my next upgrade step. Buy a new SSD and get the repair shop to move over my data.
If you have a spare drive slot (data and power connections, mechanical drive slot), you can move your whole old drive to your new SSD using any drive copy software. I use Casper from Future Systems Solutions. The basic procedure is to install the new drive. Install the drive copy software. Use the software to copy the old drive to the new. If you want you can partition the new drive or just tell Casper to copy the old drive into the new larger space of the new drive. Depending on your BIOS's capabilities, you can tell the BIOS to boot from the new drive, finish booting, and you're done -- you should have booted from the new drive. If the BIOS can't do that, just remove the old drive and install the newly copied new SSD into that slot. Voila!

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
If you have a spare drive slot (data and power connections, mechanical drive slot), you can move your whole old drive to your new SSD using any drive copy software. I use Casper from Future Systems Solutions. The basic procedure is to install the new drive. Install the drive copy software. Use the software to copy the old drive to the new. If you want you can partition the new drive or just tell Casper to copy the old drive into the new larger space of the new drive. Depending on your BIOS's capabilities, you can tell the BIOS to boot from the new drive, finish booting, and you're done -- you should have booted from the new drive. If the BIOS can't do that, just remove the old drive and install the newly copied new SSD into that slot. Voila!
:eek:

The only thing worse than drivers is BIOS!!

Actually.... I think I can do everything you described.

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
Sep 20, 2018
居留守
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts

no need, there are awesome softwares that clone your ssd so no need to even reinstal the OS.
Samsung is the easiest.. no matter if your old drive is not Samsung, it will clone it over while you eat a pizza.

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
I am curious, are you having similar issues with performance in the Sims 4? It's not as taxing obviously as SL, but at max settings it is no slouch either in the graphics dept.
I'm running Sims 4 so much better now. I had no idea!

The sims move freely, no stutters and halts, and I could swear their animations are more nuanced than before. The entire game loads in a fraction of the time. Building is much smoother and easier. Now it feels like I'm watching a movie play out in front of me, instead of waiting for game pieces to move.

Sep 20, 2018
Somewhere Purple, Germany
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts

Yah, the first part pretty much means that the CPU is the bottleneck for SL right now, yeah. Mind you that there will *always* be a bottleneck, because it *always* could run faster, so if you're getting decent FPS I'd not worry about it too much right now. Just keep it in mind for a future upgrade.