Destiny 2 Free On Battle.Net Until Nov 18th

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The Destiny franchise must be really dying, when they are giving away the core game to keep for free for more than two weeks.

IndigoMontana

I downloaded and checked it out, not having played since the open beta (and not having played D1). The moving and shooting is fine, even fun, and the environments are gorgeous -- but man, I don't know if I can get past the head-scratchingly awful narrative and dialogue.

Wasn't D1 the game where they rewrote the entire story less than a year from ship? Because D2 doesn't seem to have improved much from there... it's big concepts are vague, it assumes you should care about things that haven't been properly established, your character doesn't speak -- but your Ghost speaks for you! Even while your character motions like he's going to speak but then doesn't when he gets interrupted! And Ghost's tone and dialogue are like nails on a chalkboard to me. Nolan North is awesome, but this character doesn't do him justice at all.

I read somewhere that the PC version of D2 has different dialogue for people like me, a PC player new to the Destiny universe. Don't know if that's true or not.

I'm continually surprised how such huge-budget games can have such shallow, check-the-box narratives, then spend a bunch of energy trying to convince you it's epic and you should care -- but I shouldn't be, knowing how big developers hand-wave away the resources story teams need to do their jobs correctly until the very last minute.

• 1Like
Reactions: Kalel