Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
The only people with energy for Harris seems to be party insiders. She is smart, clearly, and was a good prosecutor. But with such a crowded field including Biden, she can't get any momentum. Aside from the fact that her record was problematic, that is. Press coverage has been terrible for her, and also for Cory Booker. Booker complained about how Buttigieg was getting all this glowing press when other people had similar credentials. It's hard to stand out in this field. I honestly don't know how some of these made the debates via polling (I mean, really? When did John Delaney ever get 1% of polling? I guess that's easy when the sample size is 300, that 3 people might say yes to him).

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The only people with energy for Harris seems to be party insiders. She is smart, clearly, and was a good prosecutor. But with such a crowded field including Biden, she can't get any momentum. Aside from the fact that her record was problematic, that is. Press coverage has been terrible for her, and also for Cory Booker. Booker complained about how Buttigieg was getting all this glowing press when other people had similar credentials. It's hard to stand out in this field. I honestly don't know how some of these made the debates via polling (I mean, really? When did John Delaney ever get 1% of polling? I guess that's easy when the sample size is 300, that 3 people might say yes to him).
Yes, I was asked about her this weekend and had no clue what she even stood forI am guessing most people are '???' about her if even politics wonk me only know about the staff complaints about her.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Cristalle

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
In fact, the last President who was also an actual author was Obama, and he clearly was a better politician for it.

Trump and Bush II on the other hand are at least borderline dyslexic.

Make of that what you will.
As someone who is dyslexic og fcku yuorslef.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes, I was asked about her this weekend and had no clue what she even stood forI am guessing most people are '???' about her if even politics wonk me only know about the staff complaints about her.
I have not heard about staff complaints. What impresses me most is how tough she is. The nominee has to be one tough cookie to go up against both the Putin mafia and the Trump crime family. I would be happy with her as president or vp.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I have not heard about staff complaints. What impresses me most is how tough she is. The nominee has to be one tough cookie to go up against both the Putin mafia and the Trump crime family. I would be happy with her as president or vp.
This and the fact her local constituents mostly really like her are strong advantages. It's really the press silence that is making her unknown outside the West Coast. The press is determined to push a white conservative male and ignore everyone else. Harris also has good political connections for getting out the Black vote.

Wasn't it Klobuchar with the staff complaints?

I like Warren's policy positions better but yeah - Harris would be strong against the kind of opponent she would have.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I don't see the staff complaints about Klobuchar as an outright deal-breaker, but they do make me a bit wary of her when we have so many other competent and experienced candidates. If she was surging ahead, I might take a closer look at her counterbalancing good points, but she hasn't broken away from the pack to any degree yet. And I've got to admit that the whole "shit down, not up" thang... I really don't like that. Maybe that's an unfair assessment, but I just have a hard time disassociating abusive behavior from overall character fitness for office. It's not a sign of strength, it's a sign of being a damn bully.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
With all the candidates available, I am really against a Biden ticket. He's not Obama guys...You can't just plop him in there for a taste of the glory days. I really hate this idea of him being forced on voters to save the dem vote.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
With all the candidates available, I am really against a Biden ticket. He's not Obama guys...You can't just plop him in there for a taste of the glory days. I really hate this idea of him being forced on voters to save the dem vote.
If it's true that Biden is a unifying candidate due to his wide-spread support from African-American Dems, as well as from Independents and even never-Trump Republicans, then I will go with the tide. This is not an election I want to be a squeaker. I want Trump soundly trounced as not just a retreat from the cliff-edge of insanity, but also as a statement to the people who took us there.

But it's over a year until the election, and I think it's premature to crown Biden. He has a lot of name-recognition, and a residual aura of nostalgia from his tenure in the Obama administration. Strong start, unquestionably, but one that can easily dissolve over the course of a long campaign. He's tried this run twice before and never made much headway. He can be prone to gaffes, which in a just and fair world would be so much nothing compared to Trump's pratfalls and scandals, but this is not a fair world. Teflon Don still gets a free pass but other candidates do not. That's just the way it is.

So right now I resent the Biden supporters who are trying to declare this a fait accompli. Just as I resented when Clinton was crowned early on (and allowed to run virtually unopposed). Let's see how everyone does after a few round of debates. Let's see who falls flat, who flubs, who catches fire as we get a LOT closer to the finish line. It may still be Biden. Maybe. I'm willing to wait and see.

Last edited:

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
So right now I resent the Biden supporters who are trying to declare this a fait accompli. Just as I resented when Clinton was crowned early on (and allowed to run virtually unopposed). Let's see how everyone does after a few round of debates. Let's see who falls flat, who flubs, who catches fire as we get a LOT closer to the finish line. It may still be Biden. Maybe. I'm willing to wait and see.
I agree with this so long as the Dems don't start cannibalizing themselves as they are wont to do. So far, there hasn't been a lot of the kind of infighting that will provide Trump with ammunition later on. I really hope they can keep this up and coalesce around whoever wins without the usual "My candidate isn't it, I'm sitting this out!"

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I agree with this so long as the Dems don't start cannibalizing themselves as they are wont to do. So far, there hasn't been a lot of the kind of infighting that will provide Trump with ammunition later on. I really hope they can keep this up and coalesce around whoever wins without the usual "My candidate isn't it, I'm sitting this out!"
Honestly, I'm tired of these clichés. First off, the Republicans who ran against Trump were vicious and they all fought tooth and nail, then closed ranks when Trump won. Both sides do this, but only the Dems seem to wring their hands over the rough-and-tumble of the primary. Infighting is the POINT of the primary, ffs. Duke it out and let the winner take the spoils. And I'm fine with that because the next round -- up against the GOP -- is going to be nothing but dirty street fighting and the Dem candidate better be primed and ready for it. You don't get in shape for that contest by playing softball.

And talk about infighting, the scuffle between Clinton and Obama left a lot of supporters really bruised and resentful for years. Expecting people to play nice when the stakes are so high is inviting serious disillusionment. Recognize it's going to happen and move on.

Yes, some people sit out an election because they don't like their party's candidate, but these numbers were greatly overexaggerated. Bernie Sanders' participation in the Dem primary for 2016 really blurred the lines because many of his supporters were Independents or habitual non-voters who weren't that likely to vote for a Dem candidate and were especially not likely to vote for Hillary Clinton. Those weren't "lost" votes, they were "found" votes for Sanders only. He pulled in a fair number of people who were not choosing between Bernie and someone else, they were choosing Bernie. Period.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Yes, some people sit out an election because they don't like their party's candidate, but these numbers were greatly overexaggerated. Bernie Sanders' participation in the Dem primary for 2016 really blurred the lines because many of his supporters were Independents or habitual non-voters who weren't that likely to vote for a Dem candidate and were especially not likely to vote for Hillary Clinton. Those weren't "lost" votes, they were "found" votes for Sanders only. He pulled in a fair number of people who were not choosing between Bernie and someone else, they were choosing Bernie. Period.
I have to really disagree with you this time. I am guessing enough people staying home in Michigan or a couple other places where it was very close made a huge difference. I was yelling at people on the SLU forums to not do that at the time and I don't think I'll do that again because no matter how sincere I am - no one wants to be yelled at.

That said, I wish Warren could win. I just don't think she can and not for the reasons anyone is giving. I flat out think that too many portions of the electorate are still flat out misogynistic in their views about women candidates. I hate it, but I think its true. Even the news outlets who lean left are harder on the women. The Russians and whatever other foreign actors get involved will play up every anti-woman-in-charge trope that exists, probably even more than last time. She is undoubtedly the most qualified and seems just wonderfully, genuinely likable. If whoever comes in first has a brain, they'll bring her onto the ticket or at the /very/ least make her secretary of Commerce and build a domestic agenda around her platform.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Do you know what would really blow Trumpster's minds? If Obama ran as Biden's running mate in the event Biden wins the Primary. It's not particularly clear if the Constitution allows that, but it would sure be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.