Democratic Party Presidential Candidates for 2020

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Hardly scientific, but up here in the far north, Warren is the clear favorite. Note that Republicans likely didn't vote because it was at the DFL booth, but it is interesting for the primary.

Elizabeth Warren wins Minnesota State Fair 'bean ballot' in landslide

Warren won 38 percent of the vote, doubling up anyone else over the 12-day contest. Amy Klobuchar finished a distant second at her home-state fair, getting 16 percent. Pete Buttigieg got 14 percent. Joe Biden, who is the frontrunner in almost every official poll, finished in sixth place.

More than 15,000 fairgoers voted, and party staffers tallied the results by weighing the soybeans that each candidate received, a spokesman said.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
That seems a fairly accurate evaluation of some aspects of the Warren appeal to certain blocks of voters. I've always gravitated toward the charismatic professor types and Warren nails that persona. I'd also agree that her goals are less ambitious and revolutionary than Sanders, which to my mind means she has a better chance of actually implementing some change. Any system in general is change-resistant, so it's hard lifting either way.

Both Warren and Sanders threaten to shake up the status quo to some degree -- although neither of them will get nearly as far as anyone on the progressive Left would like -- while Biden is all about not rocking the boat at all (as was Obama*, which is one reason I think the two of them got along so well). Biden may be the short-term solution, but he's a long-term danger precisely because of that business-as-usual approach. Same for Klobuchar, Booker, Harris, for all their rhetoric, they're establishment figures.

At the very least, assuming Biden walks away with the nomination, both Sanders and Warren are voicing "scary" concepts and making them seem more mainstream than before. That may be the best we can get for this next election cycle.

* Obama, as a black man, never had the option to be anything other than a centrist defending the status quo. If he had presented himself as "far" left as Warren or Sanders, the white population of this country would have crucified him. Electing a black man was scary enough, a radical black man... not a chance.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I don't know how I feel about being called 'Elite'.

PS: also, it seems like that video is just a well-disquised hit piece on a woman who has done as much in her career to try and help the working class, from sometimes different angles, and whom was one of two candidates that Wall Street says they don't want.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I don't know how I feel about being called 'Elite'.

PS: also, it seems like that video is just a well-disquised hit piece on a woman who has done as much in her career to try and help the working class, from sometimes different angles, and whom was one of two candidates that Wall Street says they don't want.
I've gotten used to the "elite" label, which has been thrown at me for decades for using correct grammar (not for correcting someone's grammar, mind you, just using it myself) and using "big words." It doesn't take much to qualify as an elitist in America. The video seemed to be focused specifically on why journalists like Warren, and it's almost a requirement to deride them as elitists.

The two participants in the video looked pretty "elitist" to me, too, which I found amusing. But I still agree generally with their assessment, even if I don't agree with their tone. Warren is not a revolutionary. And I'm just fine with that. Revolutions tend to be very messy and uncomfortable, for everyone, not just the elites.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
My support of Harris has waned over the past couple of months. I admire that she's taking no PAC money, but I get an email from her campaign every day stating they are falling behind in their monthly fundraising goals. I don't think she'll have what it'll take to beat Trump if she wins the primary. My support is for Warren.
Unfortunately every politician does that no matter how good or bad their fundraising numbers are. They seem to have not caught on that it drives people away after awhile.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I've gotten used to the "elite" label, which has been thrown at me for decades for using correct grammar (not for correcting someone's grammar, mind you, just using it myself) and using "big words." It doesn't take much to qualify as an elitist in America. The video seemed to be focused specifically on why journalists like Warren, and it's almost a requirement to deride them as elitists.

The two participants in the video looked pretty "elitist" to me, too, which I found amusing. But I still agree generally with their assessment, even if I don't agree with their tone. Warren is not a revolutionary. And I'm just fine with that. Revolutions tend to be very messy and uncomfortable, for everyone, not just the elites.
Most journalists in the pundit class are in the upper 10% if not the 1%. So there is a class blindness that they have when they are reporting on issues. They report things that matter to them, and not so much to everyone else.

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
Most journalists in the pundit class are in the upper 10% if not the 1%. So there is a class blindness that they have when they are reporting on issues. They report things that matter to them, and not so much to everyone else.
Given how few people own all of our media sources -to the left and to the right, it's all class. And regardless of the journalists the editors and their bosses who answer to that handful of owners filter things through the same myopic business-friendly lens.

So they don't report things that matter to them, necessarily, but the only things that get published are what matters to their editors, their bosses.

-Han, making up for elit vocabulary with absolute crap grammar :p

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

The US is certainly strange. You can be the most woke person in all ways possible but if someone can pin the elite label on you for any reason (even if they are wrong) it suddenly invalidates everything you have said and did.

Anya Ristow

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
"They believe that she will do enough to placate the masses, but not so much that their class status and power status are threatened."
In a nutshell, this is why the establishment has accepted Warren. She's the best outcome they can hope for. The alternative is Bernie. They don't want her to win, but they'll take her over Bernie.

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
They all do this. Bernie does it more than Liz. Tulsi less than any of them, but she begs, too.
My best friend and I are getting really fed up and put off by this W.R.T. Bernie. Not so much that we're being asked for cash, but because of the way that they do it. He really needs to fire and replace whoever it is that's in charge of that.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Anya Ristow

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
The US is certainly strange. You can be the most woke person in all ways possible but if someone can pin the elite label on you for any reason (even if they are wrong) it suddenly invalidates everything you have said and did.
Ignorance isn't just for the Right any more.
Then again, it never was.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
My best friend and I are getting really fed up and put off by this W.R.T. Bernie. Not so much that we're being asked for cash, but because of the way that they do it. He really needs to fire and replace whoever it is that's in charge of that.
Jimmy Wales, I'm guessing.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Ignorance isn't just for the Right any more.
Then again, it never was.
I ran into one conversation where a group of anarchists were saying how good it was to *not* vote and people should not look down on those who chose not to. I responded that I would continue to look down on people not voting *unless* there was some reason, any reason (systemic issue, disability, disenfranchisement, etc) standing in the way. They still complained about it, saying some people had a systemic issue and I was judging what issues were valid and what not. I told them to re-read my stance. They refused to (of course) and now said I was putting down native americans (WTH). I laughed and said I had multiple good friends at Pine Ridge Reservation (not also mentioning I have NA friends off of it, more than a shelf's worth of books including a huge Lakota dictionary, donate to native charities all the time, etc), who would call me out if I even thought of doing that. They then accused me of using the minority friend defence. I gave up, blocked a few things, and defriendings happened.

I looked in later and they were all giving each other compliments for scaring off the big bad whoever. The most annoying thing was the biggest offender in that entire episode was someone who I had stood up for even when we did not 100% agree.

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
I like Harris but she's kind of in the same mindspace as Sanders for me. I like her where she is right now, using her current position to yell at people who deserve it about issues that are important. The Senate is important.

Unlike Sanders though she's not really explained a good reason why she wants to be President or what she'd do there. Yeah she'd be better than Donald but so would my old tennis shoes.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Then unsubscribe.

• 1lolwut?
Reactions: Han Held

Romana

SL Rez
I saw today that Harris is getting flak on Twitter because she (apparently) laughed when someone called 45 retarded. She's claiming she didn't realize what was said (which, if she really did respond with "Well said", is disingenuous, but I'm getting this all third hand at best)
Yes, it's a sour, and she should have responded differently, but why is no one complaining when the right wing supporters at "libtard"? It's the same slur, and just as bad. But then, these are the folks with the "F**k your feelings" shirts.