Democratic Party Presidential Candidates for 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
That's what I have, and I get a ton of spammy calls. Maybe your number is newer? I've had mine for a few years now.
It’s been more than a year *knocks on wood* hope my luck holds

• 1Like
Reactions: Han Held

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
But still the best way to stop calls is to just not answer. Then even illegitimate calls will stop eventually.
Just a point in addition: voicemail or an answering machine doesn't count as not answering just because a person doesn't pick up the phone. If a line has voicemail that just proves it's an active line, so it's all the same to them. For this to work you'd actually have to deactivate your voice mailbox or keep your answering machine turned off.

Like Adeon said, ideally you want your answering machine or voicemail message to mimick a dead line by including the three-tone "not in service" handshake; many telemarketing autodialers will automatically flag the number as inactive if they hear the tones. In theory you can have your message be the tones, a pause, and then a regular voicemail message so that human callers aren't confused. Unfortunately this only works on SOME of them, because technology is available to the industry to keep autodialers from falling for that trick.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Just a point in addition: voicemail or an answering machine doesn't count as not answering just because a person doesn't pick up the phone. If a line has voicemail that just proves it's an active line, so it's all the same to them. For this to work you'd actually have to deactivate your voice mailbox or keep your answering machine turned off.
THANK YOU!

I was about to post that I haven't answered my cell phone in 5 years and yet I still get spammed. Considering how seldom I check for calls, it might be better to disable voice mail, since any one who has a legitimate reason to call is lulled into thinking I got the message.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I would love a way to block all spoofed numbers.
I just ignore any call that's not programmed in my contact list. If it's important, they can leave a voicemail. About 5% of telemarketers try to leave a voicemail, but robocallers are bad at it. I can easily delete those after listening to the first few seconds.

Adeon Writer

I just ignore any call that's not programmed in my contact list. If it's important, they can leave a voicemail. About 5% of telemarketers try to leave a voicemail, but robocallers are bad at it. I can easily delete those after listening to the first few seconds.
I know the NoMoRoBO app works. It absolutely plagued the auto-dailing, robocall operation a company I worked for was trying to do.

Someone calls you, and if they're not on a whitelisted list of numbers, they get: "This call is protected by NoMoRoBo. To connect to your party, please dial the number [random 2 digit number]. If you are a telemarketer, please regard this as your notification to place this number on your do not call list and do not call again."

Official instruction was to disposition the call as a bad number (They know they'll never get through). This is what you want.

Sadly, it's 2 dollars a month. To most it's not worth it just to stop some calls, but some people REALLY do get plauged, especially if they've been scammed before, they end up on a "suckers list" and every single scam company starts calling them.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Shameless liars.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Jay Inslee just dropped out of the race on Rachel Maddow.
Michael Bennet said it best, I think:

I'm glad that Inslee is running for governor again. He does a great job at that and Washington state is important. But, really sad that we're losing someone with the most thought and emphasis that is becoming more and more super critical. The glaciers are melting far faster than predicted. The Amazon is burning. People are dying from the heat all over the place. I hope someone picks up this torch as more than part of their platform.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
The glaciers are melting far faster than predicted. The Amazon is burning. People are dying from the heat all over the place.
Yeah, just this morning in Florida, where they launched a GPS satellite, the temperature was crazy. Maybe the thermometer shouldn't have been under the rocket engine.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Is the no call list still working for anyone? I'm getting at least 30 unwanted spam calls a day (which my voicemail kindly blocks for me)
No, I even get spam call on my cell. Legitimate companies pay attention to it, illegitimate one use random dialers or treat the DNC list as a phonebook.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
So here's this guy I never heard of before trash talking all the female Democratic candidates.
Also claiming that 45 is the very model of a macho alpha male.
The ratios, tho. ..🤣🤣
Who the fuck is Jack Burkman? I'm willing to bet he's also childless.

Status
Not open for further replies.