Democratic Party Presidential Candidates for 2020

Aeon Jiminy

Ideally I'd like a president that has more to offer than just "not-Trump", but if that's the best we can hope for, I'll take it.
Personally, I feel that Trump is such nasty tracks in the underwear of the " American exceptionalism " farce, that he doesn't allow the global murder profiteers, democracy thieves, compulsive lying millionaire media personalities, and sociopathic policy makers and representatives, the ability to deliver their endless bags of horrors on the world without some scrutiny. They either have to crawl under a rock when they agree with him, or expose their evil even further when they attack him for not being brutal and savage enough. He has a knack for bringing out the ugly in everything around him.

So if my only other choice is to put a pretty face on fraud, torture, murder, theft, and pain and suffering for profit, I'll pick door #3... hopelessness. I kinda think that our only chance for survival is in the sobriety of not drinking another celebratory round of hemlock being served at the "Better than Satan" Inaugural ball.

Eunoli

This is how they get you to think you don't really want M4A. Or we'll work on it in the future. Maybe next time.
Two points:
1) "Here's a lot better than we currently have" + "maybe next time all the way" is 100% better than nothing.
2) If a candidate has a plan that goes further for universal, affordable healthcare - I don't care what its called or if it allows some people to keep private insurance. I just want it to work and work for everyone.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
This is how they get you to think you don't really want M4A. Or we'll work on it in the future. Maybe next time.

You're going to maybe next time millions of Americans into their early, bankrupt graves.

There is no other plan on the table. None. "Health insurance every American can afford" is not a plan, it is a dodge. If you want M4A you have to fight for it, because the insurance lobby is certainly fighting. And you have to do that now, because as someone has pointed out, the one candidate with any chance whatsoever of bringing you M4A isn't getting any younger.

All the civilized nations have some version of socialized health care. It's not like we're breaking some new, risky ground.

You don't have to guess what Sanders wants, because he's been fighting for the same damned things for decades.

We don't need health insurance. We need health care. Universal, free at the point of service health care means you can see any doctor you want, and it will cost you no more than if you didn't get sick, and you'll still have that if you find yourself unemployed, or just want to change jobs. That is better than health insurance. Don't let republicans, corporate democrats and the insurance lobby convince you you will lose your health care. You will lose your health insurance, and that is a good thing. Good riddance.
Exactly, the sooner the current US 'health care' system becomes a tale to frighten small children the better.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Apparently my ancestors came from there -I wonder if they'd take me back? :ROFLMAO:
You might as look it up for your own whentheshitREALLYgoestohell plan. Depending on how far back a lot of countries make it easier for descendants to repatriate.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
Unfortunately, Biden feels trump-lite for me. He's very squicky, shoots his mouth off without any forethought and changes position based on the wind. I really hope it is anyone else come voting time.

Han Held

It's all part of my Rococo N Roll Fantasy
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
So if my only other choice is to put a pretty face on fraud, torture, murder, theft, and pain and suffering for profit, I'll pick door #3...
When you put it like that -any candidate that makes the nomination will most likely be a pretty face on those things.

Welcome to the military-industrial complex 21st edition: 9/11 Boogaloo.

You can stay home and not vote, you can vote for someone who hopefully will drag us kicking and screaming away from that (Sanders, basically) ...but no one who gets the nod is going to get rid of the drug war, nor civil forfeiture, nor the private prison industry, nor make serious reforms on police abuse and corruption.

All of those things are endemic to our system; they are entrenched too deeply to be removed.

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
When you put it like that -any candidate that makes the nomination will most likely be a pretty face on those things.

Welcome to the military-industrial complex 21st edition: 9/11 Boogaloo.

You can stay home and not vote, you can vote for someone who hopefully will drag us kicking and screaming away from that (Sanders, basically) ...but no one who gets the nod is going to get rid of the drug war, nor civil forfeiture, nor the private prison industry, nor make serious reforms on police abuse and corruption.

All of those things are endemic to our system; they are entrenched too deeply to be removed.
I would asterisk that:

too entrenched to be removed by voting for A President.

It needs to be a systemic overhaul. Even if we got a President who wanted all those things it wouldn't mean anything on its own because they can't do things unilateraly (if they are a Democrat). They need congress and the judiciary as well to back them up.

Vote in local elections, and for congresspeople, and basically every time an election comes up. Vote Vote Vote.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Vote in local elections, and for congresspeople, and basically every time an election comes up. Vote Vote Vote.
Exactly!

No matter what we personally think of Rs we have to give them one thing: they know how to vote as a block and stick to that strategy despite being in the minority. Yes, all they do is be against pretty much everything but it is a simple strategy that anyone there can grasp: 'if a D likes it you do not'.

Meanwhile the Ds are nuanced. There are countless pet causes out there and while we applaud anything that makes progress the fact is at the end of the day you wind up with what is effectively 100 parties on the left vs 1 or 2 on the right.

I am not sure how you will deal with that. What wins? Civil rights or healthcare? Both are laudable but you can not split your time evenly between all possible causes so something 'wins' and causes the entire jumble to fall.

There are two possible strategies: run to the center to mitigate the problem or be as progressive as possible for everything. We have tried the former for decades and it did not work. Maybe the latter will scare some people away but with a demographics shift it might be time for that strategy. Try a European style of a left party for once.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Last edited:

danielravennest

SLU Posts
WhoTH is he talking to when he makes statements like this?
Given that he was talking at a dinner at the Hotel Carlyle, which is a "residential hotel" on the Upper East Side (a wealthy Manhattan area), I'd say rich white dudes. It has 60 apartments plus 190 guest rooms which go for $775 a night. To give you an idea of the kind of people who live there, John F. Kennedy used to own an apartment.

The problem is that these days *everybody* has a recording device (their phones), including the wait staff. So if you are talking to a large group, it isn't going to be private any more. This is something old dudes tend to forget.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
My opinion of Biden was already dim before he shot his mouth off in such a disastrous fashion. Now, if I had to choose between him and Trump, I'd be hard pressed to decide*.

*No, not really. Trump absolutely has to go. But I honestly can't see Biden being too much better.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
My opinion of Biden was already dim before he shot his mouth off in such a disastrous fashion. Now, if I had to choose between him and Trump, I'd be hard pressed to decide*.

*No, not really. Trump absolutely has to go. But I honestly can't see Biden being too much better.
Most important question: Who would you prefer with the nuke button?

• 2Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
Well... Biden at least won't have a trumper-tantrum and threaten nuclear annihilation if someone calls him a name, so he's got that.
I'm with you in sentiment just the same. :)

Out here in the land of the multi party countries the "hold your nose and vote" routine is old hat. Sucks, but it beats this shit.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I don't see how anyone can make that claim. Biden has his faults like anyone, and is definitely prone to self-inflicted wounds, but he's a genuinely good person who cares about this country and has served it well. Trump is a fucking monster and absolute human garbage. There is no way Biden would not be exponentially better.