Democratic Party Debates

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
:qft:
The longer Sanders' campaign has gone on, the more disappointed I am in his inability to learn and to grow. He's a one-issue candidate and it's an important issue, a vital issue, but there's so much more to being president than grappling with income-inequality. Sanders is convinced that a rising sea raises all ships, and hasn't shown any deep awareness of the institutional inequalities that are designed specifically to keep minorities down.

Conversely, Warren hasn't lost her passion for battling the uneven playing field -- a battle she's carried on for decades -- but I can see her vision spreading. She has the capacity to address a wide-range of issues facing our country.

I like Harris' spirit, but she can't match Warren's "I've got a plan for that" approach.

And Buttigieg, who is my next favorite, has the very same problem as Bernie -- no credible history of working with minorities, because you just don't get that many opportunities as mayor of South Bend, Indiana. His record there has been mixed, including the recent police shooting incident. Unlike Bernie, I think Buttigieg can learn and grow, but he's just not there yet.
What does this mean, really? Objectively, the party has bent toward his policies, not in some other direction. It's not him who needed to "learn and grow." He's not a one-issue candidate, although the thrust of his candidacy is income inequality. He's also leading in foreign policy, trying to stop the wars. Warren is not doing that. She voted to give Trump the extra money for the military that wasn't necessary. She's not leading to stop the Iran provocations, or Yemen. He may have issues communicating with certain people but his policies overwhelming do help the people in question.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
My God. Don't give up already. Trump is an evil dude, but he's still just a weak-minded man, and like most misogynists, he's scared to death of strong, smart, confident women. I think a woman CAN win.
:qft:

I can't agree with this enough. Sure, the road will be bumpy as hell, but I think we're as ready as we're going to be for a strong female president.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
For the last 40 years, the Democratic Party has become the party of "let's save our conscience for another day ". I just couldn't give any more absolution to things like Syrian no-fly zones, tinkering with WW3, reconciling that our allies are funding our enemies, using the State Dept for personal fund-raising, and playing games with Top Secret National Security information, ... just to name a few.

At some point, the majority of Americans are going to have to draw a line in the sand and stick to it. If WW3, treason, and felonious behavior isn't that line, my God, tell me what is?
What the actual fuck are you even talking about??? If you wanted WW3, treason, and felonious behavior, you got all that IN SPADES when you threw your vote toward The Orange Imbecile!

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
On that note, there was someone on NPR the other day who made a good point. Over the last 60 or so years, Democrats have actually been a lot more successful fielding young, charismatic outsiders like JFK, Bill Clinton and Obama than old, "safe" insiders like John Kerry or Hilary.

I think this is because we have so many voters in our base who need to feel moved to get out there and campaign and vote. I think it also looks really, REALLY bad to centrists when democrats are fielding a candidate that we obviously aren't even that keen on.
Which is why it is so surprising that people like Biden are almost considered the default vote yet candidates like Mayor Pete have a hard time getting attention.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
What the actual fuck are you even talking about??? If you wanted WW3, treason, and felonious behavior, you got all that IN SPADES when you threw your vote toward The Orange Imbecile!
Depends on what state they live in. My FAVORITE thing about living in the US is that my vote is totally worthless due to where I live. I may as well just write in my cat for President. Goddamn we need a popular vote.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel the US needs a more West European style presidency.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Aeon Jiminy

I did, and still do, believe that Hillary Clinton and her supporters were much more dangerous to the world. I think that whole movement had to be disarmed at all costs. Grasp what enforcing a no-fly zone on a nuclear superpower means. Educate yourself on top secret classified information protocols and what actually has to be done to transfer that information to your own little private nest. Ask yourself why anyone would need to do that, especially when they are fully aware that they are taking personal support money from those who are also supporting the killing of your own soldiers. Ask yourself how any First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State could just "forget" that stealing our National Security Secrets and housing it on an unsecured server in your basement is not permitted. Just absorb that for a minute. If you don't know "What the actual fuck" I'm talking about, then dig for the evidence. Follow the yellow brick road.

I sympathize with your screaming at me, I do. In some ways, I envy where you're at. I wish I still had the ability to scream it all away and feel satisfied suckling on the lies of my Democratic Party belief system and the MSM comfort food of MSNBC and NPR. It's a place where you never have to reconcile how someone like Robert Muller can be the devil of WMD lies one minute, and the angel of gospel Russian Interference truth without evidence the next. I wish I could still cheer lead the ignorance. It's much less lonely.

Yes Katheryne, I'm the problem.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
Ask yourself how any First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State could just "forget" that stealing our National Security Secrets and housing it on an unsecured server in your basement is not permitted. Just absorb that for a minute. If you don't know "What the actual fuck" I'm talking about, then dig for the evidence. Follow the yellow brick road.
OHHHH...right...HER EMAILS.

Well certainly Bubba...if this is your end all be all in a DEBATES thread., well then certainly you are upset with Trump and family for their misuse of private email?

Ivanka Trump apparently didn’t learn the lesson of Clinton’s email use and apply it to her own actions. She’s not the only one in the Trump administration to have fallen short on that front — the Times last year reported that multiple others, including Steve Bannon, Reince Priebus, Gary Cohn, and Stephen Miller also occasionally used private email addresses for government business.
If Clinton’s emails mattered so much, why shouldn’t Ivanka’s? Or, conversely, if we’re now recognizing that Ivanka’s emails aren’t that big of a deal, doesn’t that shed light on the possibility that Clinton’s probably weren’t, either?

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Depends on what state they live in. My FAVORITE thing about living in the US is that my vote is totally worthless due to where I live. I may as well just write in my cat for President. Goddamn we need a popular vote.
Yeah, I was trying to tell people in 2016 that I live in DC and there is about as close to 0 chance of us ever electing ANY republican as you can get (donnie got 5% here). Their efforts would be better spent going after places where the vote did matter. No though, they needed an overwhelming win so I voted for HRC. Well, I lived up to my end of the bargain and they did not live up to their end (donnie not in office) so I am not about to pay attention to them this time.

The interesting thing I have pointed out to people is small parties are not after the presidency. They will not get a majority of the electoral college on their first go and rarely will get a single vote there. Instead what they are after is matching federal funds. To do that you need 5% of the popular vote, which you can do without affecting a single electoral college vote. The ideal strategy at first is to campaign for small parties only in uber-safe states and tell people in toss-up states the safe states have their backs, they should vote for the major parties.

Aeon Jiminy

Well certainly Bubba...if this is your end all be all in a DEBATES thread., well then certainly you are upset with Trump and family for their misuse of private email?
First, call me names. Okay. Second, point out my response doesn't belong here. What I was responding to does, but I don't. Okay. Third, deflect to Trump. Look away. Okay.

How does this relate to Democratic Party Debates? It's everything
. If these candidates and their supporters refuse to look at where they are coming from, they are absolutely powerless and incapable of taking us where we need to go. It never has, and never will, have anything to do with Trump.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Oh, ffs.
I did, and still do, believe that Hillary Clinton and her supporters were much more dangerous to the world.
WTF is wrong with you? Do you not have eyes and ears as to what is happening? I bet you read a lot of conspiracy information.

Yes Katheryne, I'm the problem.
You are but one of many, but you are a problem.

Aeon Jiminy

So these candidates should worry of ALL things...Hillary's emails?
You asked in a DEBATES thread, So I'll answer. Yes, I think that any one of these candidates who has taken an oath to the Constitution knows that Hillary Clinton committed a crime that nobody gets out of jail free on, let alone becomes President on. It's not just emails or private servers, it's the Top Secret Classified Information in them. They endorsed her, instead of demanding she drop out. Elizabeth Warren propped her up over someone who was polling higher against Trump. Sanders endorsed her. When you couple this with answer-feeding Donna Brazile's admission Clinton was financially controlling the DNC and co-ordinating with major media outlets, yes I think her emails are something to worry about. They were important enough for Bill Clinton (a lawyer) to inappropriately meet Loretta Lynch on a tarmac to disqualify her over a grandchildren conversation.

This isn't conspiracy theory. This is just based on evidence. I can't answer why she was doing this, why the evidence was bleached away, why hard drives were destroyed, why laptops vanished in the mail, why Huma Abedin needed copies at her home, or why these people were willing to throw an election to Trump to cover for her. I am, however, dumbfounded that people don't think it's important to know what all of this charade was really about.