Democratic Party Debates

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
First line-up starting soon... I'm clearing some space in the PRS forum for us to watch, snipe, cringe, or applaud as appropriate to the moment.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
Ten minutes in, Beto has randomly broken into Spanish and Tulsi Gabbard touted her patriotism without answering her question.

Warren is focused on answering directly but several others are grabbing any excuse to bash Trump. Interesting.

ETA: Tooooo many people on stage... not enough time....

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I was underwhelmed by Beto and Tulsi Gabbard, got a better sense of some of the less known candidates, but didn't shift my expectations or allegiances. I still think Warren is the best of the lot.

Lori Claremont

I thought Warren did really well, I really like her. I was really disappointed with how the moderators were unable to keep control.

One thing that impressed me was Cory Booker's closing statement. It was aspirational, it was uplifting, it wasn't just about him, it reminded me of Obama in a lot of ways.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Warren won, tho not her most impressive performance, through no fault of her own.

• 1Thanks

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
It seemed some of the candidates were more interested in showing off their Spanish-speaking skills than they were in answering the questions. I felt like they were pandering to the Latino vote. Just stick to the issues and sell yourself with that. I think Warren did the best job doing just that.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I thought that Warren started out really strong but faded as the night went on, not enough assertiveness.

Julian Castro and Bill de Blasio did really well, and I would expect to see a big bump for those two.

Booker... so many words, the most time, but I'm still very meh. He's too practiced.

Beto ... emptiest suit on the stage. Cripes. Platitudes after platitudes, and more platitudes in Spanish, too! I actually think this could hurt him if he decided to run for the Senate against Cornyn. Castro would be a better contender and should think about it.

Gabbard had one good moment over Tim Ryan but she needed to be more assertive too. She and Delaney got the least amount of questions but he made more time for himself.

Last edited:

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Underwhelmed. Warren and Booker seemed the strongest to me. I am still waiting for Booker to find a way to remind people he's an actual hero. Overall, still underwhelmed. The charisma was missing last night and to beat Trump - its the main requirement besides a strong dose of teflon toward the Russian (and whoever else is toadying up to Trump) attempts to troll and tarnish (not that it should be that way, just looking at reality).

• 1Thanks

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
It seemed some of the candidates were more interested in showing off their Spanish-speaking skills than they were in answering the questions.
Beto ... emptiest suit on the stage. Cripes. Platitudes after platitudes, and more platitudes in Spanish, too!
I cringed when Beto chose the first random moment to speak in Spanish. It was completely out of context and felt like a bad stunt. I'd had my doubts about him at the presidential level and last night pretty much sealed it for me. Might make a good senator, but he's not presidential material.

The Spanish interjections from the other candidates felt just as misplaced. Neither the time nor the place really called for this.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Well, the word transgender got mentioned twice besides being an expansion of LGBTQ. Even though the first time there seemed to be a mixup between transmen and transwomen since the topic was pregnant people.

• 1Thanks

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Kamala won the evening, IMO. I just dream of her wiping the floor with trump like she did Barr. But others did quite well, just not as well as Kamala. And it would be delicious to sandwich Trump between the first black president and the first black woman daughter of immigrant parents president.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
She was incredibly impressive. I have been a fan all along, but tonight further solidified it. I like Warren as well. We have an embarrassment of riches on the candidate front right now. I think Pete handled himself well also, and I thought Eric Swalwell's "pass the torch" moment using Biden's own words was bold.