Delayed Election - the threat has begun

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
I'm not as sure as you are that this can't be swept aside. Rule of law exists only as a mutual agreement that more or less everyone accepts, with the few rule-breakers brought to heel by force if necessary. If law enforcement starts choosing sides -- as we've seen in Portland -- a judge's ruling may not carry the weight it once did.
We should all be very concerned and watchful at this juncture. I agree with that. But according to two of my friends who live in Portland, city life is going on calmly as normal. Shopping, work, other activities and even peaceful protests. One said that if you stay away from the Courthouse area, you'd never know there were protests. From the way they talked, most of the Portland City Police are pretty tolerant of the protests (up to setting fires, violence, etc). It was only when Trump sent in BP and DHS troops that the problems exploded - and mainly because the DHS has now changed their mind about withdrawing. It's not hard to imagine a scenario where SCOTUS orders them off the streets after they've taken things way farther. Note that I said "imagine".

What I'm looking forward to is when Trump is actually out of office but refuses to accept defeat and some of those same Federal agents come to arrest him. Hey, I can dream, right?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Sen. Tim Kaine asks Secretary of State Mike Pompeo who has the power to move the election date and Pompeo refuses to admit only Congress has that power.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
I've figured out the difference between absentee voting and mail-in ballots; if the GOP is doing it, its absentee, and if us stinky libs, then its mail-in voting.
And then there's me, who doesn't give a flying fig what it's called. I will have the option in Kansas of mail-in voting. I've already requested a ballot. Judging by the number of people I see in the grocery store and at the gas station without masks, I do not trust my fellow Kansans to do the right thing. If I have the option, I'm voting by mail and maybe even driving over to the Post Office drop box to deliver it. Just try and stop me :)

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Um, should we now start a thread for the possibility of a hastened election?

During a press availability at the White House, Trump rambled on about how absentee ballots are “actually very good” while mail-in ballots are “a disaster,” even though they’re functionally the same thing given that absentee ballots are submitted … by mail.

Regardless, the President claimed voting by mail means Americans are “never going to know what the real result of an election is” (elections officials and experts have not found any indication that mail-in voting systems cause election fraud) and that it would take too long to count the vote.

“I wish we would move it up, okay?” Trump told reporters. “Move it up.”

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
This is a likely reaction to the news that the purposeful slow-down at the post office is making it difficult to deliver ballots on time. (and also medication, social security checks, other minor things like that...)

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I've figured out the difference between absentee voting and mail-in ballots; if the GOP is doing it, its absentee, and if us stinky libs, then its mail-in voting.
In Georgia we have one kind of "voting not at the polls" - absentee ballots. You can mail it in, drop it into one of the official drop-off boxes, or have someone carry it to the county elections office (under normal circumstances, right now that office is closed). I voted absentee by mail for the primary. Had to sign the ballot envelope (not the ballot itself). That signature gets compared to the one I registered with.

I don't see how massive numbers of false ballots are possible. You would have to fake all the signatures, and make sure the real voter doesn't attempt to vote.

At this point we should be asking anyone who claims mass voter fraud is possible "where's your evidence?"

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Um, should we now start a thread for the possibility of a hastened election?

Maybe someone should tell him about "early voting". Here in Georgia it starts about 3 weeks before election day.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
My comment was a joke, based on how multiple GOP were talking about how their lot needed to make sure they go their absentee ballots to stop us liberals from stealing the election..... sheesh.

• 1Like
Reactions: Free

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
My comment was a joke, based on how multiple GOP were talking about how their lot needed to make sure they go their absentee ballots to stop us liberals from stealing the election..... sheesh.
You have been MANSPLAINED!

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts